Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2012 3:39:21 PM EDT
I am looking to hunt in the Appalachian Mountains this season and I figured I would give bear hunting a try. What do I need to know? I have hunted a fair amount of deer, small game, coyotes in VA and AR but nothing like a bear. I plan to use a 30-06 or 8mm so the gun is no problem. I need help in my strategy as to how to hunt them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure on the laws in VA but your best bet would be dogs or a feeder. In WV it is illegal to bait bears but dogs are good to go. I killed a bear last year with dogs not far from WV/VA line. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider using a predator call to lure bears --- you'll obviously need to be within earshot (and rifleshot) range of bears --- but calling is a better stratgey than simply hit or miss meandering ...
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Here along the Yukon, we have all kinds of bear.  We mostly Spring Bear hunt over bait outta 2 man tree stand.  Can't use dogs, no roads, country is too rugged & thick.  Bear like certain bait, like pop corm, miricle whip, sweet stuff, and of course rotten fish, eggs, and meat.   If ya can't bait, I'd hunt near a garbage dump, there will be bear there. like in a creekbed that leads to the dump.  Get a game camera or two also.  We also see quite a few bear on our dirt road, but ya got to be quick jumping out and shooting. My kids have shot the majority of the blk bear with 6.8 stag Ars.  bear don't go 20 yards,let out their bawl.  You don't need some big new magnum, 30-30 be fine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crodeo:
I'm not sure on the laws in VA but your best bet would be dogs or a feeder. In WV it is illegal to bait bears but dogs are good to go. I killed a bear last year with dogs not far from WV/VA line. Good luck
View Quote

Bear dogs are only legal in certain parts of WV. Make sure you check laws if you are hunting them over here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lionslayer:
Consider using a predator call to lure bears --- you'll obviously need to be within earshot (and rifleshot) range of bears --- but calling is a better stratgey than simply hit or miss meandering ...
View Quote

yea, I thought the same. we were calling for about an hour with no sign of the bear. so my buddy went south to try the drive them toward me. on his climb down, he had a face to face meeting with a cougar. apparently the cat was interested in the wounded deer call we were using.

I think next year we are going to remember to watch our backs when calling for bear.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By crodeo:
View Quote

Dogs is the only way to go if/when legal.  I mean for me it's all about the dogs and the chase. Having killed two, I could care less if I kill another one.  Find someone either you or someone you know that has dogs if possible, every houndsman I know wouldn't mind an extra shooter to fill a tag.  Whoever it is, be polite and do whatever they say and all will be well.  Other than that, bait one, track one and jump it yourself if there's snow, etc.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top