Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:00:02 AM EDT
Is it to late to get a Black Bear tag for spring 2012 in Alaska?  Anyone have any tips?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you may require a guide service to be able to take moose, bear, or griz in state as a non resident. hang on ill find link to regs you can read them.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildliferegulations.hunting
left cold
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think black bear requires a guide.  But I could be wrong.  But, unless you have some family/ friend who is gonna take you out, it is probably a good idea to have a guide.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:05:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beerswimmer] [#3]
You don't need a guide for blakies. A hunting license is all you need in most places, but you have to bring the hide and skull in to get measured.  Then get a boat and drive it around until you see some, pick out the biggest one with no rubs.  It really is THAT easy!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Beerswimmer:
You don't need a guide for blakies. A hunting license is all you need in most places, but you have to bring the hide and skull in to get measured.  Then get a boat and drive it around until you see some, pick out the biggest one with no rubs.  It really is THAT easy!!

Thanks...I am going to look into this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You will need a license and harvest tickets and will have to get it sealed if you are successful.  where are you looking at going?
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
No guide required.  No season in most parts, you can hunt black bear year round.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 1:29:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sh1fty] [#7]
They are out and their coats are still nice - I took this last week.  If they haven't been in fish, take at least the backstraps as they are tasty.

ETA - Wow, I didn't see how old this original post was.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes for some info from those that have already done this. Any suggestions for recommended outfitters to go through? I'd like to go on a do it yourself type hunt but don't have time to plan for all of the details. A self guided trip through an outfitter seems like good middle ground.

Please let me know what companies you would go through. Looking for a spring 2014 trip.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
What part of the state will you be in?  Alaska is about as large as the western half of the united states...
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
What part of the state will you be in?  Alaska is about as large as the western half of the united states...

This trip is at the early planning stages and everything, including location, is open for discussion. Just looking for recommendations from people that have already done this. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By yellowXJ:
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

This trip is at the early planning stages and everything, including location, is open for discussion. Just looking for recommendations from people that have already done this. Thanks.

How many are in your group or are you rolling solo?  Do you want a water based hunt or will you have a truck or something?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Group size will be between 2-4. From what I've read, a water based hunt sounds fun because if the ability to also fish.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
PWS

Homer

I've heard the hunt with ACM is awesome, I'd like to do it even as a local.  I have access to my own boat and got this guy in PWS last spring.  Homer is the better bet if you want to hunt and fish in the spring.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice looking bear. Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top