Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 9:47:20 AM EDT
On one of my trips to RSA I hunted with Scott van Zyl who owns SS Pro Safaris. He and I became friends and have stayed in touch, went out with him and a few other crazy guys in Las Vegas while attending the Safari Club International convention last year. I just found out that he has gone missing while running hounds in Zimbabwe. His pack was spotted on the bank of the Limpopo River but his gun was still in his truck, doesn't sound good. Thoughts and prayers for his rescue and comfort for his lovely wife Sura.

DSC Frontline Foundation Rushes Emergency Funds to Continue Helicopter Search for Missing Guide
DALLAS (April 10, 2017) - A professional South African hunting guide has been missing from a hunting expedition in Zimbabwe since Friday, April 7. An extensive land and air search is underway to find Scott van Zyl but the guide has yet to be found. DSC Frontline Foundation has approved an emergency grant to support the helicopter search efforts.

Van Zyl and his tracker left their vehicle and set off on foot into a rural area. Both men split up and traveled in different directions with van Zyl never returning to the vehicle. The guide's dog returned and a cursory search of the area turned up no trace of the guide. Van Zyl reportedly left his firearm and personal items in the vehicle. Helicopter search teams spotted van Zyl's backpack on the banks of Limpopo River but the man was not found.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw that the other day.

Backpack next to the Limpopo doesn't sound too good. Hope a croc didn't get him. That would be a sucky way to go.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Saw that the other day.

Backpack next to the Limpopo doesn't sound too good. Hope a croc didn't get him. That would be a sucky way to go.

View Quote
Suspicion is that is exactly what happened. Two crocs were shot in the area that had what appeared to be human remains in them, samples were sent for DNA testing. The search continues but my hopes aren't very high at this point.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Search was suspended yesterday, apparently there was enough confidence in the findings to make that call. Tragic end indeed.

Thoughts and prayers out to his wife, children, and brothers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear about your friend, Tin Spinner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#7]
More media outlets covering the story now, not sure if that is a good thing or bad. There are so many fools in the world today spouting off at every thing they are told is trendy that they have lost sight of what is actually humane and decent. Scott's facebook page was trashed by anti-hunters saying he "got what he deserved", "karma is a bitch", and much worse, those idiots are clueless. That is also the reason I posted this here instead of in GD, I think the man and his family deserve more respect and this tragic event should not become a sounding board for the ill-informed attention whores.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Im sorry to hear about that. Im sure FB is going nuts with all those faggots decrying his profession and claiming his death as deserved. How come its the stupidest people that have the loudest voices?

If he was done in by the crocs its a shitty way to go, I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The DNA tests confirm that the remains taken from the crocodiles were those of Scott. At least the family will have some closure now.

Thanks to those who have offered condolences, keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
The DNA tests confirm that the remains taken from the crocodiles were those of Scott. At least the family will have some closure now.

Thanks to those who have offered condolences, keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.
View Quote
Yeah, saw the link to that earlier today.

Very sad.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear. Condolences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top