Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2016 3:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GAZ32]
I'm only 5 months out from my budget plains game safari. (Team thread here)

I say budget because as of right now I'm in it very little. $500 for the trip, $425 for the flight (CC points are a beautiful thing), and a few bucks on getting my rifle there. This will allow me to spend more on the animals.

The only thing I REALLY want (in order of preference) is kudu, gemsbok, and zebra.

I'm really into the hunts that make you work for your trophy, so I'm asking you guys, the veterans of the bush; what was the most demanding animal you've hunted?

Any other pieces of advice would be appreciated as well.

ETA: IMGUR Album: Here!

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
So far (3 safaris) the two most demanding were Eland and Mountain Reedbuck.

Almost everyone has had a terrible time finding a Bushbuck. On my first safari we literally lucked into a great one on the mod ing of the second day and after about a 30-40'min stalk we put him in the salt. It was my first African animal. I also lucked into a second beauty near the end of that trip and took him as well.

If I had to reccom d the st as I would say Impala, Warthog and Springbok as all three of those shouldn't run you more than 1200 total

After that I have always just been prepared to consider shooting whatever we came across. FYI Blue Wildebast also makes a fine mount and are a blast to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully you have a 10 day hunt, or longer. The Kudu  can be very challenging,but sometimes not, allow ample time to hunt him. Bushbuck and Nyala are crafty and sneaky also. The Nyala for me was the most challenging, but  usually is not the quarry of a first time Safari hunter. If You see a decent bushbuck ram, take it. I would focus on hunting the Kudu bull first, but don't pass up an impala or springbok, because you may go home empty handed. I almost did not get a Kudu, but I did in the end. I was very glad that i took other species that presented opportunities. If you have time or opportunity, hunt the common duiker and steinbok, they are beautiful little animals. Don't pass up a blesbuck or warthog if the prices are reasonable. You if your budget dictates it, You may have to re-evaluate your priorities, success,opportunities, and budget day to day. Your African hunt plans should be fluid to some degree. One day I was hunting blesbuck, and a Bush Duiker of a lifetime walked out in front of me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GAZ32] [#3]
I thought about adding the eland in there as well. I may not have the wall space for one though.

Depending on the price (i.e. roan or sable), shooting animals of opportunity will most likely be the name of the game.

I'm going to budget around 10-12k for the animals. Probably could do more, but I'm only 27, so I'll more than likely go again in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like you have a good plan in place. $10k + is more  than ample. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
sounds like you have a good plan in place. $10k + is more  than ample. Good Luck!
View Quote

Good to hear. Some people have said 10k is "a good start". I'm not trying to hunt buffs, so I think I'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice pics in your album, thanks for sharing. Beautiful Nyala, that is on my list for the next trip!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Some beautiful trophies!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice trophies. Nice old Nyala.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all!

Just found out today that the blue wildebeest will be in the books! 30" wide. Should be at least SCI gold for archery.

Next time I'm bringing the struggle stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top