Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2016 9:36:15 PM EDT
I have a Remington 798 in .375 H&H and I'm considering selling it and buying a Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger. It's probably just a rarely shot toy since I have no plans to go to Africa, I got the .375 H&H mostly because I was a fan of reading Capstick's books as a teenager. I might end up going to Alaska some day but the gun is mostly just to have a big bore for kicks. I'm not invested in .375 H&H ammo or reloading and it seems like factory ammo is reasonably close in price between the two. Any reason not to go .375 Ruger?

Also, what is a fair price for a Rem 798 .375, laminate stock, with about 15 rds through it? Nearly new condition with box. I can't seem to find much to compare.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Only real advantages I see to the Ruger are shorter action, and beltless cartridge, so slightly lighter and faster, possibly smoother feeding.

Ballistically they are very similar. I am currently rat holing money for a Guide Gun. If I already had an H&H, I probably wouldn't trade
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I can come up with is.
Dear lord why ? Why would you sacrifice a much wider range of over the counter choices n ammo to switch to 375 Ruger ?
There is zero gain in the area it matters most.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
375 RUM for the win!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
Only thing I can come up with is.
Dear lord why ? Why would you sacrifice a much wider range of over the counter choices n ammo to switch to 375 Ruger ?
There is zero gain in the area it matters most.
View Quote

For me the Guide Gun is much closer to the gun I want (more Alaskan style - stainless, laminate, shorter) that the Remington. I'm not going to shoot that much so ammo choice isn't that important to me. I'll reload if it becomes a problem. If the Guide Gun was available in .375 H&H it would be an even easier decision.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a little gain in power with the ruger, but it isn't enough to make much difference, especially at hunting distances.  I don't think you can improve the feeding of a 375H&H much, with its tapered shape.  In fact Ruger had issues with their 375/416 rugers.  May have been a quality control issue.  I have a 798 in 375 myself, that I fetched for $450 or thereabouts in 2010.  I see them on gun sale ads for $800 now.  I wouldn't mind a little shorter barrel, but as is, mine is a tack driver, so I'm leaving it as is.  I have a 416 rem for the big bore itch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a left handed Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger.  It's pre ugly ass muzzle break.  I would've easily gone with an H&H had one been available.  If I already had an H&H I would keep it.  You can buy a synthetic stock and have the gun cerekoted for a few hundred dollars and even have someone one install one of those ugly ass noisy muzzle breaks if that's what you're after.  

There are so many companies out there that load for the H&H vs. the Ruger round.  Currently I only know of Hornady and Nosler for the larger companies and a few of the small boutique companies that produce ammo for the Ruger round.  My next door neighbor owns a bar up in Kodiak, AK.  We were talking about hunting up there and I was talking about taking my 375 Ruger up there for bear and moose.  He told me he has never seen the 375 Ruger ammo up there on the shelves however there is plenty of H&H ammo available as well as the most other common magnum calibers.  I've known guys who have gone to Africa or to Alaska and they have lost luggage with ammo or it arrived days later and they lost time hunting due to it.  A couple guys had to rent rifles from their guide down in Africa cause they couldn't find ammo.  

It's your gun and your choice.  If it were my gun and my choice I would leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If I keep the Rem 798 I will want to cut the barrel to 22" or so, new sights and a corrosion resistant finish (cerakote, melonite, etc). I'm thinking it will cost more than the difference in value. But it might be nicer in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
It'll be exactly what you want, vs the questionably ugly Rugers.  Other than some lapping of the action, its a good base rifle for customizing.  Contrary to popular new age belief, belted magnums can and do feed smoothly and reliably, especially the tapered case of the H&H.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
To be quite honest I totally regret not buying the $599 Ruger 375 when CDNN had them.  They have had a pile of the left handed ones for over a year now, but the right handed ones went quick.

I wouldn't sell an h&h to get the Ruger, but it would buy the Ruger over the h&h.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gks452] [#10]
The H&H has been around for over 100 years and will likely be around for another 100.
The Ruger has been around for 9 years and will likely be around for another ???
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
For anybody interested CDNN has right hand Alaskan models in Hogue stocks for $799.

Lots of left hand models as well much cheaper, but $799 for right hand is a deal. Mine arrived yesterday, and web page said 7 in stock when I ordered.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger.  I sold my 50 Beowulf upper to fund the purchase of the 375.  

I really like the rifle.  375 Ruger ammo was easy to find in Fairbanks, AK.  Reloading components (bullets/brass) were readily available in Fairbanks.  

I have since moved from AK and live in the lower 48.  I still have the rifle and carry it ocsssionally for pigs.  I've not shot any critters with the rifle, but I still enjoy owning it.

Not sure if I would sell a 375 H and H to buy a 375 Ruger.  That being said, that Ruger Alaskan is a phenomenal rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
If I keep the Rem 798 I will want to cut the barrel to 22" or so, new sights and a corrosion resistant finish (cerakote, melonite, etc). I'm thinking it will cost more than the difference in value. But it might be nicer in the long run.
View Quote
This

I cut my beat-to-hell Winchester 70 375H&H down to 18 inches and it made it much easier to handle for the occasional hunting I do with it.  Duracoated the gun.  Looks new.  Light hand loads with VV powder and 300gr Noslers make it manageable for recoil tolerance.  Actually though, its more gun than I'll ever "need" but I like it, and its history makes it one I will keep for the duration.  

However, my Rem 7 in 308 is much easier to carry and hunt with and gets the job done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top