Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2015 7:09:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thugbuster]
My first Safari ever. Just got back last night. The outfitter was Cheetah Safaris.
6 animals in 5 days all by bow, which I rented there.

Carbon Element 70 lb.

Carbon Element Pile Driver Arrows

Slick Trick 100 grain Fixed Broadheads

Longest shot was 26 yards.

Everything fell within 75 yards.

No re-shoots or much tracking necessary. All of the shots were pass-through except the pajama donkey (zebra). He was quartering towards me at 19 yards. The entry was just in front of the right shoulder and the arrow stopped just after breaking the ribs on the opposite side. He was the stallion of one of 3 herds that came in that day. He ran off the other 2 herds and finally got within arrow range. I drew on him 3 times that afternoon before finally getting the opportunity to release.

3 hunters plus our wives. The accommodations and staff were outstanding. The food was top notch. They cooked what we shot for dinner each night. Our wives didn't hunt so they took them on elephant rides, a river cruise, a predator park, game drives and just spoiled them while we hunted.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
So jelly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firedude] [#2]
Awesome! Great pics! Are you not allowed to bring your own bow or was it a matter of convenience? Did you shoot from a blind or?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
No hot chicks to pose...

Congrats on a successful trip.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a month long trip, starting with a cruise from New York to Barcelona. Then flying to Johannesburg for the hunt, where the other couples met us. Then a hop to Cape Town for a few days. The bow would not be allowed on the ship.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow! Awesome trip!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds like a good time to me!

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a hunter, but that is awesome! Sounds like an incredible adventure
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a fan of trophy hunts. Did the zebra taste good.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
How was the meat?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ToneSurfer:

View Quote
All of the meat was great, even the zebra tender loin. They have a professional chef on staff who prepared several varieties of game each night. After the hunt, we would sit around the boma with a drink and talk about our day. Phestos, our chef, would then summon us to dinner with an african drum. We brought home made dried game sausage and biltong (jerky) with us to the blind or on the spot and stalk with us. The majority of the meat is given to the locals or sold on behalf of a local school. The skinners, skinned, caped and salted the hides and boiled the skulls of our trophies. They will be sent to the USA via cargo vessel. The taxidermist will get them and about a year from now the finished trophies will be delivered to me.

I love it when a giraffe walks into your blind! 3, came in that day.

No, we didn't shoot them.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
All of the meat was great, even the zebra tender loin. They have a professional chef on staff who prepared several varieties of game each night. After the hunt, we would sit around the boma with a drink and talk about our day. Phestos, our chef, would then summon us to dinner with an african drum. We brought home made dried game sausage and biltong (jerky) with us to the blind or on the spot and stalk with us. The majority of the meat is given to the locals or sold on behalf of a local school. The skinners, skinned, caped and salted the hides and boiled the skulls of our trophies. They will be sent to the USA via cargo vessel. The taxidermist will get them and about a year from now the finished trophies will be delivered to me.

<a href="http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Tontofontenot/media/DSC_7302_zpsnevw6ckg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Tontofontenot/DSC_7302_zpsnevw6ckg.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Tontofontenot/media/DSC_7302_zpsnevw6ckg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Tontofontenot/DSC_7302_zpsnevw6ckg.jpg</a>

Amazing pictures! I am extremely jealous, had never heard of bow hunting on safari before, but I imagine there is less red tape involved

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Smurf10161:
Amazing pictures! I am extremely jealous, had never heard of bow hunting on safari before, but I imagine there is less red tape involved
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Smurf10161:

One of the PH's (professional hunter's) was about my size and draw length. I used his bow. They are all well armed and very capable. Only one of the three of us brought his own bow, because he is left handed.

The PH's went above and beyond with us. They are the most professional and knowledgable group of individuals I have ever had the pleasure of hunting with. Leon was with the South African Defense Forces, so that made for interesting stories between us while in the blind or on the stalk. We were all matched up perfectly with our PH's. These guys live, work, play and fought in the African bush.

After shooting an animal, we would wait about 30 minutes and call in the trackers and recovery team.  They would come and we would track the animal, then recover it with a small trailer or truck if it can get to it. Take pictures, and within an hour we were either back on the stalk or moving to another blind.

Tracker Samuel in green and his and recovery team.

Leon prepping my zebra for pictures and Mottie, one of the tracking dogs showed up with my wife who happened to be on a game drive (sightseeing) not far away.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine is the brunette.

Table Mountain, Cape Town

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:07:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#14]

Not a fan of trophy hunts.
Did the zebra taste good.
View Quote
Then why are you looking at threads in the safari forum?

While I am no moderator, if you wish to continue with your sly comments without incurring a ban or mod smack down  , I would suggest you move your 'outrage' to the General Discussion forum and create a new thread.

Just a bit of friendly advice based on how the tech forums are conducted IME.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

While I am no moderator, if you wish to continue with your sly comments without incurring a ban or mod smack down  , I would suggest you move your 'outrage' to the General Discussion forum and create a new thread.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

I thought the same thing when I read his comment.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for you!

(and your now spoiled wife    )
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a great time OP!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Congrats! Have you started planning your next safari yet? They are a little addicting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I would love to do this.  I would also like to have the wife out there as well, but she is adverse to sweat.  What was the weather like?  I see you wearing shorts, are there no ticks, redbugs, mosquitoes, horseflies, thorns, etc tearing you up?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Congrats! Have you started planning your next safari yet? They are a little addicting.
View Quote
Yes, I have been. LOL it can be addicting.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#21]
You killed Pumba!

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By fortydelta:

I would love to do this.  I would also like to have the wife out there as well, but she is adverse to sweat.  What was the weather like?  I see you wearing shorts, are there no ticks, redbugs, mosquitoes, horseflies, thorns, etc tearing you up?
View Quote
I am from South Louisiana so I'm used to the heat and humidity. Northern South Africa is a high arid almost desert. It was cool in the mornings and evenings, around 45 degrees. Around mid afternoon it warmed up to the mid 70's. Humidity was almost nil. Basically, wear shorts and a fleece jacket to get out to the hunting area in the back of the safari truck. It could take up to 40 minutes to get there, plus you are spotting and stalking along the way. I found that I would shed the jacket around late morning.

Yes, the thorns are big, long, sharp and ugly. I'm sure my PH was entertained watching a big swamp tromping coonass pick and poke his way through the bush. Those guys just glide through like walking across the lawn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I am from South Louisiana so I'm used to the heat and humidity. Northern South Africa is a high arid almost desert. It was cool in the mornings and evenings, around 45 degrees. Around mid afternoon it warmed up to the mid 70's. Humidity was almost nil. Basically, wear shorts and a fleece jacket to get out to the hunting area in the back of the safari truck. It could take up to 40 minutes to get there, plus you are spotting and stalking along the way. I found that I would shed the jacket around late morning.    Yes, the thorns are big, long, sharp and ugly. I'm sure my PH was entertained watching a big swamp tromping coonass pick and poke his way through the bush. Those guys just glide through like walking across the lawn.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
I am from South Louisiana so I'm used to the heat and humidity. Northern South Africa is a high arid almost desert. It was cool in the mornings and evenings, around 45 degrees. Around mid afternoon it warmed up to the mid 70's. Humidity was almost nil. Basically, wear shorts and a fleece jacket to get out to the hunting area in the back of the safari truck. It could take up to 40 minutes to get there, plus you are spotting and stalking along the way. I found that I would shed the jacket around late morning.    Yes, the thorns are big, long, sharp and ugly. I'm sure my PH was entertained watching a big swamp tromping coonass pick and poke his way through the bush. Those guys just glide through like walking across the lawn.

I'm in Mississippi so any time there is no humidity is like a winter wonderland.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I had a group of about 100 mongoose come in one morning. My PH said I should have taken one and had it mounted riding on my hog, holding his ears like Timon.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#25]

I had a group of about 100 mongoose come in one morning. My PH said I should have taken one and had it mounted riding on my hog, holding his ears like Timon.  
View All Quotes

That would have been epic.

Super jealous of your safari too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice. How long before the animal activist begin to get the case of the butthurt?

Fugg 'em.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#27]
That looks like an awesome time!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats on awesome hunt. Wow have been planning for a while, how much coin did you drop door to door ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a wonderful trip. Congratulations on some awesome trophys.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife posted my kills on her Facebook page and was catching hell from one of her old HS friends. She de-friended her.
What people do not understand is that beautiful stallion zebra was old, had worn teeth, bad hooves. My PH said that he may have had 2 more winters before he would start starving to death. There were 3 other young stallions ready to replace him. He died as the lead stallion of his herd, not alone and sick, starving or infested with parasites. This place is very well managed. The animals are plentiful and thriving. The industry employs and feeds the local community.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#31]
I gotta say, that whole thing is awesome.  I would love to bowsmack a warthog, they are so cute and I love those giant tusks.  I'm not a fan of folks who kill for trophies and don't use the meat but most of these hunts are basically animal conservation in the form of paid hunting.  It's far better for well off foreigners paying big dollars to take animals than the conservation folks having to do it and not getting these funds.  Much of the money goes right back into the conservation programs and the meat helps feed a lot of people who really need it.  

There are certain critters I couldn't or wouldn't shoot (zebra, elephant, giraffe, any of the big cats...) but there are a lot I would.  I just wish I could afford to hunt species in North America like buffalo/bison, moose, elk, mule deer...sucks being poor.  Anywho, awesome story, I can't even imagine how fun that was!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

This is the absolute truth! I've been 3 times and am pining to go again, maybe next year. Last trip was in 2008 so I am way overdue. I want to stay for 3-4 weeks next time and do some non-hunting exploring but haven't been able to be gone that long yet.

What part of SA were you in?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
I gotta say, that whole thing is awesome.  I would love to bowsmack a warthog, they are so cute and I love those giant tusks.  I'm not a fan of folks who kill for trophies and don't use the meat but most of these hunts are basically animal conservation in the form of paid hunting.  It's far better for well off foreigners paying big dollars to take animals than the conservation folks having to do it and not getting these funds.  Much of the money goes right back into the conservation programs and the meat helps feed a lot of people who really need it.  

There are certain critters I couldn't or wouldn't shoot (zebra, elephant, giraffe, any of the big cats...) but there are a lot I would.  I just wish I could afford to hunt species in North America like buffalo/bison, moose, elk, mule deer...sucks being poor.  Anywho, awesome story, I can't even imagine how fun that was!
View Quote

The meat is getting eaten, trust me :D I once shot a porcupine in the potato fields. Sucker was gutted before the pickup stopped. The locals will basically eat anything that doesn't eat meat.

To the OP, great hunt! It looks like you both had a fantastic time and I hope the memories stay fresh! What area of Limpopo was the hunt in? I grew up right close to the Zim border near towns called Vivo and Louis Trichaardt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By boerseun:

The meat is getting eaten, trust me :D I once shot a porcupine in the potato fields. Sucker was gutted before the pickup stopped. The locals will basically eat anything that doesn't eat meat.

To the OP, great hunt! It looks like you both had a fantastic time and I hope the memories stay fresh! What area of Limpopo was the hunt in? I grew up right close to the Zim border near towns called Vivo and Louis Trichaardt.
View All Quotes

Thabazimbi

The outfit is Cheetah Safaris.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I've heard porcupine is pretty good and it comes with it's own skewers and toothpicks!  If I was ever able to do such a hunt I'd want to try everything... Well, maybe not everything.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Great looking Warthog. I want one so bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Thabazimbi   The outfit is Cheetah Safaris.

View All Quotes

Thabazimbi   The outfit is Cheetah Safaris.

Yeah, that's NW province...a bit of a drive, but the same climate and environment. Nice and dry. All we had on the farm was impala, kudu, warthog and leopard...oh and the damn porcupines!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#38]

I've heard porcupine is pretty good and it comes with it's own skewers and toothpicks!  If I was ever able to do such a hunt I'd want to try everything... Well, maybe not everything.
View All Quotes

I don't know, never tried it myself. I drew the line at Impala and the occasional rabbit. Just the smell of a porcupine is repulsive - to me at least. It was a disaster of a hunt...porcupines are really tough and .32H&R won't kill 'em easy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Very awesome!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice Warthog
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

I am so incredibly mad that I didn't think to do this.  That would have been epic
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Really nice Kudu...  I hope to make the same trip some day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By JKrammes:

View Quote
Thanks!!

Just got the word that all of my skins and skulls have arrived at the taxidermist in Montana. Ill post pictures in about 6 months when they get here.

The kudu and waterbuck will be pedestal mounted turned as "bookends". The zebra will be a rug backed with a black cloth. Everything else will be wall mounted in "best turn" pose.

I included all of the back skins with the animals and will have those tanned for use as small rugs, throws, pillows etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks!!   Just got the word that all of my skins and skulls have arrived at the taxidermist in Montana. Ill post pictures in about 6 months when they get here.
The kudu and waterbuck will be pedestal mounted turned as "bookends". The zebra will be a rug backed with a black cloth. Everything else will be wall mounted in "best turn" pose.
I included all of the back skins with the animals and will have those tanned for use as small rugs, throws, pillows etc.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
Thanks!!   Just got the word that all of my skins and skulls have arrived at the taxidermist in Montana. Ill post pictures in about 6 months when they get here.

Kudus look best on pedestals.  I saw a really nice one that had zebra skin on the insets on an oak pedestal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Both the Kudu and Waterbuck look exceptional. What did they score ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome pics. Sounds like a fun trip.

And the immature crybabies need to grow up. Lion King was a shitty cartoon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By USAF77:

Both the Kudu and Waterbuck look exceptional. What did they score ?
View Quote
I'll let you know when the trophies arrive. I'm having them officially scored by SCI.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

GTFO then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:45:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Looks like a great time OP!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#50]
If you don't mind me asking, how much was a hunt for 5 days and 6 animals?  

I'm considering booking soon and am curious.  Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top