Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:03 AM EDT
So is 30-06 big enough for dangerious game or just for plains game. In other word can you take Buff/Dugger with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been done but good luck finding a PH that will allow it. It's usually illegal too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
In most countries .375 H&H is the minimum caliber for dangerous game. Although I'm sure you can use the -06 for most of the rest.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
In most countries .375 H&H is the minimum caliber for dangerous game. Although I'm sure you can use the -06 for most of the rest.
View Quote

Zim allows 9.3 if it meets energy requirements. In RSA it's by state or province or whatever they call them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I'm out of date again.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalPenguin] [#5]
Sorry thought you were talking NA buffalo
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
Sorry thought you were talking NA buffalo
View Quote

30-06 will do that. I used a 338-06 on mine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Roger that. 06 maybe aittle lite for really big stuff. 375 H&H seems to be the goto.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The 375 H&H is Africa's version of the 30-06
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
back in 2003-2004 there were many articles on 30-06 being very good for plains game I wouldn't try eland with it. though

375 H&H is a better caliber for dangerous game & plains game.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I've read a few guys suggesting a 338 winmag for African plains game, or 375 RUM if you can tolerate the extra recoil.  375 H&H shoots a lot like an '06 as far as trajectory goes, though it kicks a lot more.  Now recoil of the 375H&H is not that bad, comparable to some heavier 12ga loads.  My wife who can barely handle a 300winmag on a bench can handle the 375 H&H standing with no issue.  For the meaner stuff like cape buff, etc, 375 is the min as stated before in many countries and rightfully so.  If you're a recoil sadist, then look into a 416 rem mag, 458 winmag, or 458 LOTT.  I have a 416 rem mag on order from Buds right now, and am anxious to see how I can handle the beast.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I've taken many species in RSA and Zimbabwe with my 30-06. Largest was a big bull kudu though. I shot eland with .300 WSM which was plenty but I don't think the '06 would have done the job as well. No way I would go on a buffalo or other dangerous game hunt with a 30-06 as my primary weapon though. One trip a few years ago one of the fellows in camp shot a cape buffalo several times with a .375 but it didn't go down. The next day I was hunting with the 30-06 near the area the trackers thought the wounded buffalo was in. My PH warned me and said if we see it to shoot it in the eye since all I had was 180 grain bullets. They found it nearby and still had to shoot it 3-4 more times with the .375, damn tough animals.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crash700] [#12]
Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:
I've read a few guys suggesting a 338 winmag for African plains game, or 375 RUM if you can tolerate the extra recoil.  375 H&H shoots a lot like an '06 as far as trajectory goes, though it kicks a lot more.  Now recoil of the 375H&H is not that bad, comparable to some heavier 12ga loads.  My wife who can barely handle a 300winmag on a bench can handle the 375 H&H standing with no issue.  For the meaner stuff like cape buff, etc, 375 is the min as stated before in many countries and rightfully so.  If you're a recoil sadist, then look into a 416 rem mag, 458 winmag, or 458 LOTT.  I have a 416 rem mag on order from Buds right now, and am anxious to see how I can handle the beast.
View Quote

If you are comfortable with your 375 H&H, I don't think you will have a problem with a 416 Rem Mag. I have winchester model 70's in both calibers. The 375 H&H is fairly pleasant for a medium bore and the 416 RM is not bad, even though its definitely a step up, though neither are particularly fun from a bench.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#13]
30 -06 can certainly take any species in Africa...but as mentioned, it's illegal in most countries and you won't find an outfit that will allow it.
I've seen 30 -06 take a lot of plains game. It will easily take a kudu or even eland...but once you start looking at things that stomp, bite, claw and gore - go for bigger.

I remember a few poachers getting busted not too far from us in the KNP - they had just poached elephant using a FAL and a G3.
Also remember a murder & robbery squad in a small town. They got busted for poaching a kudu using their 9mm's and FMJ's. They came chargin back into camp after a long day's fishing and drinking, with their prize on the back of the truck. I was in no state to drive, so I crawled into my truck, locked the doors and pretended to be asleep - wanted nothing to do with that fiasco. I think all but 2 of them ended up losing their jobs...

Anyways, 30-06 is a great caliber for anything but the big 5. I have not personally hunted the big 5, but if I did, I'd want something with a bit more oomph...
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/7731065341/p/1/xsl/print_topic

Another of Hemingway's Cape buffalo taken in Kenya, 1934.  This buff
was brought down with his much loved Griffin & Howe Springfield
.30-06.  I guess no one bothered to tell him he was undergunned!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MochaJava:
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u334/TexFandango/New%20Hemingway%20Photos/pic0704-hemingway011.jpg

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/7731065341/p/1/xsl/print_topic

Another of Hemingway's Cape buffalo taken in Kenya, 1934.  This buff was brought down with his much loved Griffin & Howe Springfield .30-06.  I guess no one bothered to tell him he was undergunned!

Has it been done?  Yes.  Is it ethical?  No.  Is it legal today? Absolutely not.  One must learn to know right from wrong, regardless of legality.  I have enough respect for dangerous game to use the correct tool for the job.  If one can not afford anything but a 30-06 to hunt dangerous game, then they likely can't afford to hunt in Africa anyways.  Anyone who can handle a 30-06 with ease, can handle the recoil of a 375H&H.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at the big NRA hunting show in Harrisburg last year and spoke with a gentleman running tours in South Africa.  I asked him what calibers were allowed and he told me he preferred 180gr 30/06 and larger calibers.  By the way, those hunting tours in Africa are cheaper than many in the us    It's the air fare that's the killer
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By boerseun:
30 -06 can certainly take any species in Africa...but as mentioned, it's illegal in most countries and you won't find an outfit that will allow it.
I've seen 30 -06 take a lot of plains game. It will easily take a kudu or even eland...but once you start looking at things that stomp, bite, claw and gore - go for bigger.

I remember a few poachers getting busted not too far from us in the KNP - they had just poached elephant using a FAL and a G3.
Also remember a murder & robbery squad in a small town. They got busted for poaching a kudu using their 9mm's and FMJ's. They came chargin back into camp after a long day's fishing and drinking, with their prize on the back of the truck. I was in no state to drive, so I crawled into my truck, locked the doors and pretended to be asleep - wanted nothing to do with that fiasco. I think all but 2 of them ended up losing their jobs...

Anyways, 30-06 is a great caliber for anything but the big 5. I have not personally hunted the big 5, but if I did, I'd want something with a bit more oomph...
View Quote
From what I have read the 308 is what most locals use for plains game and what poachers prefer on basically anything, but they don't have money to buy 375's and they just shoot until it drops.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kingfish:
I was at the big NRA hunting show in Harrisburg last year and spoke with a gentleman running tours in South Africa.  I asked him what calibers were allowed and he told me he preferred 180gr 30/06 and larger calibers.  By the way, those hunting tours in Africa are cheaper than many in the us    It's the air fare that's the killer
View Quote
Buy a ticket in advance and it is less than 1k round trip, how much is a domestic plane ticket?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Locals run 243, 303, 308, 3006 and 7x57...in my experience. But that's usually limited to stuff like Kudu, bushbuck, impala, gazelle and warthog...stuff available on regular farms. Don't have a lot of Eland and zebra running around wild anymore.
Domestic flights are similar to the ones here in the US...about R400 to R1500 depending on where, when and what comfort level you want.
Flying domestic in SA is NOT for the novice...especially when transporting anything out of the norm. Theft on domestic flights is expected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top