Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2014 6:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ardent]
Guys figured you might enjoy the video I did up of my Lion & Oryx hunt in the Kalahari. The Oryx is a stretchy shot for a double rifle, mine being a .375 H&H Merkel, and followed several days of tracking and getting busted at the last moment. The Lion likewise I had to trim hours of following tracks in the sand to keep the video interesting, but you'll see Lion tracks if you look carefully in the shot where the camera is following the ground. The shot at roughly 1 min is Jackal, the coyote of Africa, and a shoot on sight proposition.

Hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/fPbRbm3WJFs

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fPbRbm3WJFs[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So what does Lion taste like?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks carbine, was having a heck of a time figuring out the embedding on my phone here. 556, once you forget you're eating cat, or ignore that fact, it's not bad at all. Cat definitely is a meat of its own though, bear's probably closest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing the video. As bad as I want I doubt I'll ever be able to go there to hunt. While I have no interest in taking any of the big cats I enjoy the hunt pic's of those who do. Buff and plains game would be my dream hunt. Along with kudu. waterbuck, impala, wart hog. An African hog slam would be cool too.

Question - When you were getting on the sticks and it was relatively quiet, was that your heartbeat the mic was picking up? Mine would have been beating through my chest.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks AZ, yes, it is good ear- I noticed it for the first time when some guys at work played the video and I heard it on good speakers. The chest rig picks up even the heartbeat, kinda neat, and glad it wasn't racing off the clock! You can really hear it in the Gemsbok sequence.

I've been fortunate enough to hunt Cape Buffalo as well, and if you are ever saving for one of the hunts over there, can't make a higher recommendation than that, somewhere wild like Zimbabwe. Wrote a couple articles on my site about it, based around the .375 H&H and its performance during.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
heck of a shot on the gemsbok with open sights and a double rifle!

well done

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:34:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ardent] [#7]
Thanks kindly, had to make it happen, the wife's patience was up and I was on my last day.

I did up a short and sweet edit of the Lion only portion that comes in at under 3 mins, figured we're all busy and some like to get straight to the point. Did some better edits with highlight boxes to show where the cat is, and tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VYOE-xRu5k
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top