Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2013 10:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59]
may 4th thru the 14th 2015. Namibia, going after- Eland, Kudu, Oryx, blue or black wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog, Baboon, and Hyena. I cant wait! Going with a good friend of mine, now I cant put the capstick books away

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
So FKN jealous! Can you share how much of dent it's caused? On my to do list someday...
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
for the animals plus daily fees is around 12k. the airfare is around 2k.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats.  Have fun at the windhoek airport.  Gun room was easy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear everything in Africa is easy for 20 dollars American
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't get any better once you go. I went to Bots in late April/early May.  I think about Africa all of the time now.  Can't wait to go back (and will) but have to pay for the taxidermy first.  Windhoek is a cool town and airport. Can't think of the damn restaurant I went to in Windhoek, there's a set of Kudu horns from two bulls that got them locked together. Ask your outfitter, they'll know.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw your other post about rifles.  Your 338 alone will be fine for what you have listed.  The only thing the 458 would be good for would be the eland, but I think a 300 mag or even a 30-06 would be more useful looking at your list of what you want to hunt.

Personally though, a safari is the perfect excuse to pick up a Winchester M70 in .375.  It just oozes Africa.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's see.....

I've got $20K to spend.

Full on Thermal + NV setup. or........... a safari?

That is a tough choice.  Have a great time, OP.  I want a report on how zebra tastes.  I've heard nothing but good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Practice shooting off sticks.

Don't be surprised if some of your shots are over 300 yards.

Trackers are amazing.

Zebra are tough to hunt.

Baboons are really smart.  

Springbok are often very cheap to free.

Plan your taxidermy before you go.  

Hartebeest make nice Euro mounts.

Take as many pictures as you can.

Sleeping pills for the flight.

375>300

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:25:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: r_p_narramore] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
Let's see.....

I've got $20K to spend.

Full on Thermal + NV setup. or........... a safari?

That is a tough choice.  Have a great time, OP.  I want a report on how zebra tastes.  I've heard nothing but good.
View Quote

Zebra tastes great. Have a great trip op.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright as always with Africa things have changed.....for the better!

It's now a 10 day hunt on the eastern cape in South Africa. End of April 2015.
Animals are now- baboon,warthog,impala,red hartebeest, blue or black wildebeest, springbok, kudu, blesbok,and gemsbok

Rifles are set, I have a Winchester safari express in .375 with a vx-6 2-12 with Warner quick detach rings and mounts , the second rifle is near and dear to my heart its a friends old rifle that he used for hunting before joining the marines and going to sniper training for Vietnam, he never got to go Africa and asked me to take his rifle there,  a pre-64 Winchester 30-06 with a vx-3 4.5-14 with Warner quick detach rings and bases.

It's gonna be a blast!

Now a question were do you guys find clothing suitable for that terrain. I was thinking Duluth firehouse pants or carhart pants in olive and tan colors, trying to find a nice set of shirts and boots , and i want a Bonnie hat were do you buy a decent one?

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:40:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177] [#11]
I had some blackhawk pants and shirts I got on discount.  They worked pretty well,  my dad had carhartts and they didn't hold up with the thorns very well.  Just make sure its dense whatever it is. And wear it before you leave.  Breaking stuff in is key.  

The item I am super glad I brought was a pair of tan mechanix gloves.  We did a lot of long stalks that ended with hands and knees and belly crawls.  Gloves were a huge benefit.

Make sure that your boots are stout in the ankles and durable.  I went with Lowa desert elites
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#12]
That's pretty exciting!  I want, but I spent my safari money on NV and thermal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By rocky59:

Alright as always with Africa things have changed.....for the better!

It's now a 10 day hunt on the eastern cape in South Africa. End of April 2015.

Animals are now- baboon,warthog,impala,red hartebeest, blue or black wildebeest, springbok, kudu, blesbok,and gemsbok

Rifles are set, I have a Winchester safari express in .375 with a vx-6 2-12 with Warner quick detach rings and mounts , the second rifle is near and dear to my heart its a friends old rifle that he used for hunting before joining the marines and going to sniper training for Vietnam, he never got to go Africa and asked me to take his rifle there,  a pre-64 Winchester 30-06 with a vx-3 4.5-14 with Warner quick detach rings and bases.

It's gonna be a blast!

Now a question were do you guys find clothing suitable for that terrain. I was thinking Duluth firehouse pants or carhart pants in olive and tan colors, trying to find a nice set of shirts and boots , and i want a Bonnie hat were do you buy a decent one?

View Quote
Excellent choice in rifles.

I think I shot all my animals with the scope set on 6X.  I did crank it up to 9x on a gemsbok at about 200 yards.

I wore 100% cotton ripstop BDUs and  cheap OD green Tshirts from Walmart.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
You will probably shoot the 30-06 more than the .375. The animals you listed are well within the capabilities of the '06. I used one almost exclusively on my last trip and took a big kudu, a tough to kill gemsbok and a 700+ pound zebra along with several smaller plains game animals in the Limpopo region. You may wish for something that shots a little flatter for the springbok unless you can get within 250-300 yards, they are crazy skittish and very alert.

Practice long distance shots and be comfortable taking them quickly. Know in advance that if you wound an animal and it is not retrieved you will still be charged the trophy fee so be sure you can cleanly kill what you shoot at before you pull the trigger. Your PH is in the business of selling trophy fees so they may not use as much discretion as you should.

I wear cargo pants and layers of t-shirt, long sleeve pullover, heavy canvas or cotton shirt in neutral colors along with a jacket. Fleece works well in camp but will be in shreds if you get too close to a buffalo thorn bush. I have hunted the eastern cape but later in the year so not sure what the temps will be when you will be there. In July, when I was there it was basically mid-winter, we had frost several mornings then it would get in to the 70's F, we actually had some snow one day. Layers are the only way to prepare for the temp swings, just leave your camo gear at home, especially the woodland patterns.   Make sure all your vaccinations are up to date well ahead of your trip. If you have to get the hepatitis shots there are 2 of them in a series a few months apart so plan accordingly.

My next trip can't get here soon enough, even though I don't have it planned yet. That place will get in your blood like no other place I have ever been.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59] [#15]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
You will probably shoot the 30-06 more than the .375. The animals you listed are well within the capabilities of the '06. I used one almost exclusively on my last trip and took a big kudu, a tough to kill gemsbok and a 700+ pound zebra along with several smaller plains game animals in the Limpopo region. You may wish for something that shots a little flatter for the springbok unless you can get within 250-300 yards, they are crazy skittish and very alert.

Practice long distance shots and be comfortable taking them quickly. Know in advance that if you wound an animal and it is not retrieved you will still be charged the trophy fee so be sure you can cleanly kill what you shoot at before you pull the trigger. Your PH is in the business of selling trophy fees so they may not use as much discretion as you should.

I wear cargo pants and layers of t-shirt, long sleeve pullover, heavy canvas or cotton shirt in neutral colors along with a jacket. Fleece works well in camp but will be in shreds if you get too close to a buffalo thorn bush. I have hunted the eastern cape but later in the year so not sure what the temps will be when you will be there. In July, when I was there it was basically mid-winter, we had frost several mornings then it would get in to the 70's F, we actually had some snow one day. Layers are the only way to prepare for the temp swings, just leave your camo gear at home, especially the woodland patterns.   Make sure all your vaccinations are up to date well ahead of your trip. If you have to get the hepatitis shots there are 2 of them in a series a few months apart so plan accordingly.

My next trip can't get here soon enough, even though I don't have it planned yet. That place will get in your blood like no other place I have ever been.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice, the 165 grain sierras that I plan on feeding the 06 shoot straight for at least 300, haven't gone past 300 to see what they do after that. I realize the .375 is not a primary rifle but its nice to have that along for bigger and tougher game like kudu and oryx. I have some wool layers that keep warm in winter and cool in summer. This camp I'm going to is malaria free and hep free, but i still plan on getting vaccinated like it isn't. April is in the rut and in a fall like season there so should be quite comfortable.  If i can suggest a company to go with for your next trip IM me and ill get you my contact for this hunt, though i haven't taken any game or even left the country yet they have taken care of everything so it should be as hassle free as possible. Now i just need to stock up on ambien and nasal strips for the plane ride over
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I wore Duluth firehouse pants on my safari to Namibia this May and they worked out great. I did not get a single scrape or puncture through them. They were also quiet on stalks. I know it is still far off, but have a great trip!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
I wore Duluth firehouse pants on my safari to Namibia this May and they worked out great. I did not get a single scrape or puncture through them. They were also quiet on stalks. I know it is still far off, but have a great trip!
View Quote

I bought a pair of Sitka 90% pants in brown for stalks on colder mornings (average temp is 40-50 in the morning), and thinking about getting some olive colored cathart pants for normal weather.
One of the things I did splurge on is rain gear.

Date has been set, 3/11/15 leave date. 10 days of hunting 4 of travel. A couple of pissed off dealers but they will survive
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#18]
For where you a going in the Cape you won't need the vaccinations. It really is malaria and hep free in that area.

I would suggest the 165 Barnes Triple Shocks. I used them in my 06 for my 2011 trip and they were fin out to my longest shot which was 296 yards on a Gemsbok.  

They would have been just fine on my eland as well.

Cloths makes my shirts are always TAG SafAi gear. My pants are older EOTAC's and have held up through 3 safaris with only a coupe of small tears I caused.

For boots the most important thing is they be well broken in and comfortable.

Tale a light jacket wool cap and an extra layer as well as gloves and keep them in a small day pack on the truck.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
For where you a going in the Cape you won't need the vaccinations. It really is malaria and hep free in that area.

I would suggest the 165 Barnes Triple Shocks. I used them in my 06 for my 2011 trip and they were fin out to my longest shot which was 296 yards on a Gemsbok.  

They would have been just fine on my eland as well.

Cloths makes my shirts are always TAG SafAi gear. My pants are older EOTAC's and have held up through 3 safaris with only a coupe of small tears I caused.

For boots the most important thing is they be well broken in and comfortable.

Tale a light jacket wool cap and an extra layer as well as gloves and keep them in a small day pack on the truck.

View Quote

I would love to shoot the Ttsx but this 30-06 shoots under and inch with 165 game kings and im very confident with those loads. Problem is im so over gunned for littler animals but id rather have that problem than be underpowered. The PH's all want me to shoot 180+ grians out of the 30-06 dont know why they all suggest that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#20]
In Africa they see a lot of bad shooters. So the heave river bullets give a little better penetration to ensure a better chance of a good exit wound is my guess.

I would give a box of the Federals loaded with the TSX 165's a try. They are sub 1 inch in my 06.

They Gme Kings are not a bad bullet but compared to the better premium bullets available (Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded, Ect.) they IMHO just don't measure up.

Give them a try.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:04:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tommy101] [#21]
I need to do a safari
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#22]
OP is getting short

Details on how the planning is going?

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
OP is getting short

Details on how the planning is going?

View Quote

Haha thanks for the interest

Had to push the dates to 9-14-15, due to that whole Ebola flesh eating virus epidemic that has since been forgotten. Call me crazy didn't want to be stuck in Africa for treatment or have the airport out of Joberg shut down on us.

So dates have changed, animal list has been added too, adding a zebra and maybe a giraffe if the oppurunity presents itself. Basically have added funds for oppurunity based animals.

If anybody is planning on going this travel agent and safari company that is second to none to work with. Absolutely no worries with these people, Ive changed dates on other hunts and it was a nightmare. Comre safaris has treated me like family and I can't wait to hunt with them.

Ps- I'm heading down to the NRA show this week and dropping by Comres booth, you should too!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:04:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#24]
Thanks for the update.

Giraffe is an awesome animal.

Huge and tough.

They make a poor trophy from a taxidermy perspective from what Ive read.

Thick skin is hard to cool and hair slip is bad.

But what a shoulder mount!

ETA

Really wanted to shoot this boy, but knew the wife would veto the shoulder mount.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are going to overnight in Joberg like most do, I wholeheartedly recommend Africa Sky as a guest house and let them handle the rifle paperwork with SAPS.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are going to overnight in Joberg like most do, I wholeheartedly recommend Africa Sky as a guest house and let them handle the rifle paperwork with SAPS.

http://www.africasky.co.za

View Quote

I was heading for an overnight there but my travel agent worked a deal and got me out of there in less than 2 hours. Or else I would definitely be staying there just for the history.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59] [#27]
Thanks for the update.

Giraffe is an awesome animal.

Huge and tough.

They make a poor trophy from a taxidermy perspective from what Ive read.

Thick skin is hard to cool and hair slip is bad.

But what a shoulder mount!

ETA
Really wanted to shoot this boy, but knew the wife would veto the shoulder mount.

http://i.imgur.com/ofw55IE.jpg

View Quote

I hear ya, that's the problem with my taxidermy is its going to have to lay low for a while until my housing situation is more permanent. Im seeing a lot of European mounts and skin rugs in my future.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Okay so this will be my last "non African" update. I'll be leaving in less than 2 weeks. I have everything in place, everything paid for, and I am cutting out the foam of my pelican case right now to fit up the rifles.

Hopefully I can manage to get my list filled but I'm just plain happy to be going and not planning to go anymore.

Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Okay so this will be my last "non African" update. I'll be leaving in less than 2 weeks. I have everything in place, everything paid for, and I am cutting out the foam of my pelican case right now to fit up the rifles.

Hopefully I can manage to get my list filled but I'm just plain happy to be going and not planning to go anymore.

Wish me luck!
View Quote

Good luck. Be sure to post some pics when you get back.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#30]
in for pics
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay I lied, this is my last post before I fly to a far away land.

I find myself very nervous and anxious, not about the hunt but about the Flight.
I have flown frequently and have no problem with it, what's screwing with my head is the 20+ hours I'll be stuck in a cabin.

I'm thinking of taking a Xanax or a sleeping pill, smart idea?
What about jet lag, any tips or tricks?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Unless you nomally take sleep aids I would avoid it. Just enjoy a drink or two if you are a drinking man and try to sleep. If you get antsy try walking up and down the aisles.  Also have you read any Ruark or Capstick or any other Safari authors?  That 20 hours would be a great time to indulge.  I read the whole flight over.  Didnt sleep a wink.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By USMC6177:
Unless you nomally take sleep aids I would avoid it. Just enjoy a drink or two if you are a drinking man and try to sleep. If you get antsy try walking up and down the aisles.  Also have you read any Ruark or Capstick or any other Safari authors?  That 20 hours would be a great time to indulge.  I read the whole flight over.  Didnt sleep a wink.
View Quote

I think im up to 7 capsticks read and re-read so far lol, i have 7 movies on the ipad and a couple of kindle books. I ended up pulling a last minute change to the flight and went direct to SA instead of Germany then to SA. Dropped the flight down to 14 hours, well worth the $300 change.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#34]
The direct flights are much easier on the system. I usually fly Delta or South African Airways. The route is always flown by those damn Airbusses. I prefer Boeing. If you fly SAA, be prepared for a very interesting flight! Great staff and the pilots are normall ex-SA Air Force with a very crude sense of humor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Just a teaser until I get back into reality from jetlag and work. Bottom line this is easily the greatest hunting experience of my life so far, and anybody with the means needs to plan a safari ASAP, no excuses!

Here's a little something that happened on the trip-

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Just a teaser until I get back into reality from jetlag and work. Bottom line this is easily the greatest hunting experience of my life so far, and anybody with the means needs to plan a safari ASAP, no excuses!

Here's a little something that happened on the trip-

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/rocky_59/Mobile%20Uploads/C85A4A91-2C9C-41DF-BB22-1E0AFD306DCC_zpswptdzvze.jpg
View Quote
Wow!

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Is that Kenny the Kudu?

Nice looking trophy!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#38]
A few more- a hog, a zebra, and a black wildebeest

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Good stuff. Congrats.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome man, got more photos?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59] [#41]
Sorry I've been busy working out of the "vacation hole" at work. He's a few more pictures, I'll have a write up done soon for those who care.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Beautiful animals Rocky! Great Job!! I hunted Limpopo in May with Cheetah Safaris. I know what you mean by it being such a great experience.
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
Beautiful animals Rocky! Great Job!! I hunted Limpopo in May with Cheetah Safaris. I know what you mean by it being such a great experience.Congratulations!
View Quote

Thank you sir, for some unknown reason, I was probably blood drunk but I booked a cape buffalo hunt in Limpopo for next year. I'm addicted
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#45]
Great pics!

Glad you had a good time.

I started plotting my next trip on day 2 of my first trip, so I understand how you booked a buff before you left!!!

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice looking kudu Rocky! Glad you had a good trip and not surprised to hear of your plans to go back, it gets in your blood like no other place I've been. RSA has a lot to offer as you saw but check out some of the other countries for fair chase hunts, Zimbabwe has some awesome hunting and the trophy fees are much less. You will not find all the plains game species that RSA offers but when you want an awesome buffalo hunt for example in an area that is native habitat to the species it is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Well all my trophies are in their way home. Damn I'm broke as a joke now but I can't wait to see them again. I realize it's going to be a few months more and then more bills before they even get a chance to hang on the wall but it's nice to see the process has begun.

Damn I need to get into the importing business
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#48]
you better reinforce some walls ha ha. that's a good bit of weight your gonna hang.

some nice mounts Im sure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By bills2961:

you better reinforce some walls ha ha. that's a good bit of weight your gonna hang.

some nice mounts Im sure.
View Quote
Thank you sir.

On that note anybody know a good internet site you can send your pictures to and get some decent prints of them?

Also if any of you have any suggestions or pictures of what you really like with mounts post them up, I have everything but the zebra and hog set up for pedestal mounts
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#50]
shutterfly, walgreens, costco, etc

Especially on shutterfly, look on slickdeals or retailmenot for coupons...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top