Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2013 4:21:49 PM EDT
I went to Zimbabwe with my dad and a couple other folks back in October. Due to political issues, our original scheduled hunt in the Save was moved to Sentinal on the Zim/South Africa border.

Below are a few of my animals. Shot a total of 10 animals over the 10 day period. Between the 4 hunters, we shot 57 animals total. (1 hunter shot ~10 impala for leopard bait.)

My choice of a novelty caliber worked very well. I had a pair of Rem 700's chambered in 350 Rem Mag. I used handloads consisting of some prototype 175gr CEB Raptors with a MV of just over 3000 fps.

My closest shot was a 57 yard night shot on the hyena. (Illuminated by Surefire.)  Longest shot was 215 yards on zebra #2. 1 shot kills on everything. The furthest any animal traveled was about 50 yards (meat impala). Most dropped in their tracks.

The only blemish was my 1st zebra. As my ammo hadn't arrived yet, I was using a camp rifle (.308 w/ 147gr FMJ). Evidently, the FMJ bullets are preferred for the penetration.

Based on my shooting with the rifle (175yd shot on the jackel and 60yd on impala #1), I felt confident taking a 175yd shot on zebra #1. Foolishly overconfident as it turns out. Long story short, I wounded it, we followed it until dark, and when we came back the next morning to continue the tracking, the hyenas had got to it first. An $950 error of judgement.

However, it made Operation Zebra Vengeance much sweeter.

Anyway, on to the pics

Kudu

Bushpig

Hyena

Impala #1

Disco Donkey

Distant cousin

Jackel

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet photos and nice story!  Id love to hunt Africa
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
FANTASTIC!!!!

I will get to africa one day!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Your kudu is gorgeous looking. Well done!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Great story and pics. Thanks! That's a huge pig!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top