Circle of life man, its rough.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Holy Fuck...!!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2012 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Very interesting that the Lion had it's heart blown to pieces and was still able to run/jump/bite for a good bit while using the remaining amount of oxygen in her bloodstream. When it comes to self defense against humans, remember that the only shots that will stop a man in his tracks are either spinal or brain hits. If he's determined, he has 20 sec of oxygen left and you're going to go with him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Hunt an apex predator...you may just not live to tell about it. My Father always taught me to only kill what your gonna eat. Wouldn't really have bothered me much if they all got chewed on a little.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sarge1119:
Hunt an apex predator...you may just not live to tell about it. My Father always taught me to only kill what your gonna eat. Wouldn't really have bothered me much if they all got chewed on a little.

Why?  The meat isn't wasted and the local community receives income from the hunt.

So you don't believe in killing of vermin or varmints?  Unless somebody eats them right?

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]

You should probably avoid the safari forum. Your ignorance is quite evident
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
That is crazy. It's hard to imagine an anything soaking up that much damage and keeping on trucking. As you guys said, sure reinforces the point that only disrupting the CNS is for sure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Last line was great, "We will return and hunt with them again, maybe not lions."

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Classy.

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
..... i remember 3 thoughts while laying half under this cat in the Kalahari sand. 1. I bet this is going to hurt tomorrow. 2. What will i feed her after she is done with my left arm. 3. this would be a great time to hear a really loud boom! Unfortunately the Ph has spent his 3rd and last shot!....

Given the circumstances, that has to be one of the funniest things that could have gone through his mind.

Never had the chance to hunt truly dangerous game, maybe some day
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:36:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177] [#14]
so much derp
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
my first cape buffalo hunt , we were looking at buffalo and one young male got it into his head that he wanted a piece of us, we were just in the back of the truck standing up looking for a large bull all of a sudden we have tihi buffalo trying to climb into the truck,  well things got rally exciting for about a minute after multiple hits with a 470 wetherby and a 375 h&h he ran off , then we got to track the wounded buff into the long grass, after about two hours tracking in the mid day sun we sent back for the truck, when we got in the back of the truck after a couple of minutes we saw him watching us and then it took about 4 more shots to settle the matter, one of the shots was through the center of the skull, the buff still tried to run away.  that was an exciting day.

and yes we did eat the buffalo and feed a large village with the meat.

alex
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Like was mentioned, those are classified as dangerous game for a reason. The hunting safaris are a vital resource for most of the villages over there. They provide a means to earn a living in a place that has very few resources and generally the animals help feed the village, very little is wasted. I am glad that the hunters survived, unfortunate that the lioness was not dispatched quicker.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pawpaw1212] [#17]
Damn stupid!!  If you cannot shoot your damned rifle, stay home.  Look at the picture.   Sorry excuse for marksmanship.  
Hunting dangerous game is serious business.   If you cannot hit a lion sized target at that distance in the breadbasket, you have no business there.
If you cannot stand your ground during a charge  and get off a killing shot to the head or face, go home.

I have hunted dangerous animals all over the world and been in not so good situations.  I've sent clients home from dangerous game hunts because they could not shoot worth a darn and I don't care to be lunch.
If you cannot take a big bore rifle and put 2 shots in a paper plate at 50 yards in 4 seconds, I would not take them out.  

The dirty little secret about safari is there are a lot of people with the money to buy the hunt, pay the travel and purchase required weapons   A larger percentage of them than you can guess can not shoot a big bore rifle at all.
The fire it once and then start flinching.  I posted on another thread giving my 2 cents to someone planning a Grizzly hunt.  Learn to shoot your weapon and hit the kill zone.  Learn to get follow up shots on target within 3 seconds, 2 is better.  If you cant, you have no business hunting any dangerous game.
They are tough game.  I have personally seen a Kodiak take 2 shots to the head from a 44 mag and keep coming.  I put the bear down with a 12 ga 3in mag shotgun slug in the face.  Hint, if you hunt Grizzly or Kodiak and your guide refuses to carry a 12 with slugs, fire him.  Bear charges with his head low and a sloping angle
to the top of his head.  Heavy caliber guns can ricochet off the top.

Fortunately this lady seemed to have competent WHs with her or she would be lunch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Great story that needs a re read
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn, that's a hell of a story. Reminds me of of stories of old Africa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top