Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2012 12:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177]
Looking for last minute suggestions on stuff to pack. I know its gonna be hot, packing my camel back and shorts and lieghtweight shirts.  Just looking for suggestions of stuff that you forgot when you went over or nice to haves that people over look.  12 Day Plains game 2 on 1 hunt with my Dad opting for a Leopard hunt.

We were supposed to go last year but we both got flooded real bad.  The PH let us reschedule free of charge which was awesome and SAA didn't charge us a fee to change flights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
One of them OMG get me the hell out of here Life Flight insurance policies and a SAT Phone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
All your shots. (If you didn't get them already in the .mil)

Matches and lighters.

Duct tape and paracord.

Pictures of your house, car, wife/SO, etc.
Africans love to see how Americans live.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No need for a sat phone. PH will have radio contact with the neighbors and a phone or radio to the world. My guide is in the telecom business. He watches F1 races and emails from his house. His cell phone ring tone was a Katy Perry song.

Lightweight boots. Ask what they need there and can't get/afford. You wouldn't believe the prices on batteries in Namibia. I know a guy who put a jeep tire in his checked luggage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Most shots are unnecessary for travel to Namibia. It's a desert. Very clean, few bugs. They get malaria in the wet season.

It's snake season now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177] [#5]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
No need for a sat phone. PH will have radio contact with the neighbors and a phone or radio to the world. My guide is in the telecom business. He watches F1 races and emails from his house. His cell phone ring tone was a Katy Perry song.

Lightweight boots. Ask what they need there and can't get/afford. You wouldn't believe the prices on batteries in Namibia. I know a guy who put a jeep tire in his checked luggage.

We are bringing him some game cameras.

I picked up a pair of Lowa Deserts back in June and they broke in well.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177] [#6]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Most shots are unnecessary for travel to Namibia. It's a desert. Very clean, few bugs. They get malaria in the wet season.

It's snake season now.

Yea, went to the Dr and they said no need for any additional shots other than my stuff I have already I am still within the window on most of my vaccinations from before I got out anyway.

ETA

Snake season, worth having brush gaiters? or no?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Jack] [#7]
The locals wear shorts. Mambas strike from above anyway.

Tell you what, 110* in Namibia is a dry heat. I went in October.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a fun trip. Can't wait for the AAR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lokjell:
Sounds like a fun trip. Can't wait for the AAR.

Super amped. Old man's plan is to blow my inheritance on hunting trips.
The past year has been a mother fucker getting our houses back together and everything back to normal.  The upside is that since we are going to be some of the later guys there the Leopard hunt was at a discount due to some unsuccessful hunters earlier. All the baits and everything are already paid for.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Good hunting!
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Extra scope in quick detach rings
Soft rifle case for use in the land cruiser

Good binoculars

Big bag of hard candy. I took five pounds of jolly ranchers. Trackers loved them. nice way to celebrate a good kill and good way to improve morale after a blown stalk

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Take lightweight binos. You need them less than the PH. If you're close, you need to be on the scope.

What gun and ammunition?
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
.300 WSM
Ammo is
150 grn Remmy Express
180 grn Fed Prem bonded tip

Shot both out to 200 yards using homemade sticks POI is close enough to not require any adjustment

I had a really nice pair of Steiners but they got AFU in the flood and I have not had a chance to replace them
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Bring about 5 pounds of hard candy for the trackers and skinners. Hand them out a few at a time. They really seem to like the "Atomic Fireballs" a very strong cinnamon hard candy.

When I went, every morning I would give a few to each of the crew. They were very appreciative.

Bring gifts for the crew for when you leave. If your trackers/skinners are bushmen, the absolute best gift you can give them (besides cash) is a knife.

Enjoy your trip!
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:58:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177] [#15]
Checked zero again and packed up the rifles and shotguns.  Pretty much all set. Driving to JFK tomorrow morning @ 3am. Flight leaves at 11am want to get down there with plenty of time to deal with the guns.  Very excited this has been a long time coming.  

Eta pulled the trigger on replacement binos.  Amazon had steiner 8x30 mil/maritime bins for 200 shipped
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]

more to follow. Just got back this morning.  abcess tooth while over there luckily brought cipro.  was fucked up for a few days but hammered down.

mountain zebra was the best of all the trophies I got.  Earned it.  10 hours of hiking followed by a 400 plus yard USMC seated open ankle w/ sling shot from a mountain to a valley.  High shoulder neck dumped it on the spot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations. Heck of a trophy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Ironically my mountain zebra came easily. I shot him whilst he napped.

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your stories.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
That's going to make a sweet rug!

Link Posted: 10/15/2012 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking forward to the pictures!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top