Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2012 7:54:19 AM EDT
I'd like to start planning my first trip to Africa.  I grew up reading all the classic safari books and whatnot, but unfortunately the extent of my modern safari knowledge is pretty limited.

This is going to be a fairly low-budget trip, so plains game only, and I'd like to keep it at a maximum of ten days.

Any suggestions on companies to consider, countries to look at, etc.?  I've seen the Safari Press book recommended a lot, so I'll probably be ordering that in the semi-near future, but I'd like to get some input from this crowd.  As I said, I'm pretty much a complete noob to this, so any advice and information is certainly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 1:05:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#1]
Cheapest is going to be a ranch in SA or Namibia.

I would go Namibia personally.

Fly into J'berg

Spend first night at Africa Sky guest house and have them get your gun permits

Fly out to Namibia the next morning.

My FIL is going here next year

go check out accuratereloading.com.

the arfcom for safaris and African hunting.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
As mentioned in the first post............Namibia has some of the best values available. It is also one of the least populated countries in the world, making for a true get away. The Torra Conservancy area is over 1 million acres, making it a true delight.

Hank and the guys at Savannah Safaris in Namibia, Savannah Safaris , can hook you up. Services which aid you as you get off the aircraft, and claim your stuff, are worth the extra bit, especially for first timers. Make sure you do not exceed ammo limits, otherwise they will confiscate it ALL in Germany, if you have layovers. In town, in Namibia or otherwise in Africa, try to blend in, and not go for the tourist look, as it will save you hassles in the long-run.

Your destination will also depend on your desired game to pursue. My best-bud just returned from Botswana on an elephant hunt. Do not take any exercise/ practice recommendations lightly, as there are reasons they recommend them. Occasionally, PH/ Outfitters will have mandated culls, which with some sweet talking, you may be able to participate in........Worth asking about anyway.

Where-ever you go, plan on a few extra animals, in case an opportunity presents itself. You can likewise shop around, even cancellation hunts, over at Accurate Reloading.............(Did not hot link it in case mentioning another forum might be a no-go) While you are on continent, I HIGHLY recommend taking a trek up Kilimanjaro with a quality outfit, such as Alpine Ascents.

-PC-
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I went on my first safari this past April. It was the time of my life and I'm going again in 2014 for the animals I didn't shoot this time.

I would not recommend going with a canned package. They usually price out higher than if you build your own list. I went for gemsbok, kudu, zebra, warthog, impala, blesbuck, blue wildebeest, and springbok. Got em all. Three gold medal animals, two silver and a bronze. (the warthog didn't medal and there is no medal for Zebra)
Plan on at least one full hunting day for each animal on your list. Plus a day on either end for travel delays, weather, etc. And if your going to spend $2K for a plane ticket, you might as well spend as much timer there as you can.

This is the place I would HIGHLY recommend... it's a 53 sq mile ranch in the Karoo.  http://www.jakkalskuilsafaris.com/

Two of the guys on the reference list are friends of mine, which is how I found the place, and I met four others that have hunted with Kobus on multiple occasions. Everyone has the same opinion, EXCELLENT.

If you want to read my full hunting report, go to Accuratereloading.com and do a search on my name... same as this one. Or PM me.

Frank
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, circumstance has sort of changed my plan.

My intention and motivation for this safari was to go to Africa while my dad was able to appreciate the stories and photos.  He always dreamt of going to Africa and hunting, but due to money and disability, could never do so.  Unfortunately, as some of you may have read, my dad passed away about a month and a half ago

I'm still going to try to go next year, but there's a bit of a cloud cast over my planning
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Outfit I used

This is the outfit I used in Namibia.  Pretty sure if you book direct through him he gives you an extra two days.   Lots of beef farms access, also has access to Kaokoveld conservancies.  

I am sorry to hear about your father.  I did it with my dad and it is something I will enjoy much more than any amount of money he would have left in his will.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top