Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2012 12:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kala_azar]
*EDIT - Now set for S. Africa, better timing for my needs*

The stars aligned and I won an auction for 7 days, with the wife, in Namibia!

Going to be hunting with Thormahlen and Cochran for plains game.  I've got a million questions, but to get started (and since this is a gun website!), I'm expecting to be going after Springbuck, Impala, Blesbuk, maybe Warthog, and possibly Oryx or Hartebeest on the big end.  Can't afford the Kudu or Eland trophy fees, and my house isn't big enough for those mounts anyway!

For those species, I'm thinking a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM will be a good choice, and one that will allow me to use the gun later for western US hunts in the future.  Any thougths from those that have been there?

If you had to pick 2-3 from the list of animals I listed, what ones would you / did you pick for a first timer?  I'm not a gold medal trophy whore, I'd just like to enjoy a good stalk / hunt and bag something that has some spirit!  (It is hunting, not just shooting, right!)

What advice do you wish you had before your first hunt in the Dark Continent?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Get The Perfect Shot-Africa by Kevin Robertson.  Great info on each of the common species, reccomended calibers, bullets and shot placement.  Well worth the $$$ for the pics alone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
First of all take the gun you shoot the best.

For the animals you are looking at a 30/06 will do just dandy. I took every single one you mentioned this year including the gemsbock/oryx and used an 06 running Federal Premium with 165gr Barnes Triple shock and would repeat it again ina  heartbeat.

Animal wise Oryz would be my #1 choice followed by the hartebeast, then the Warthog, then Blesbuck and then Springbuck.

advice.....

Practice shooting. At distance, In close in teh wind, Know you trajectory and yoru hold offs for wind.

Practice snap shooting. You should be able to break any shot under 150 yards 5 seconds after hitting the sticks in necessary.

Get in shape would be my number 1 bit of advice.

take 10x mor epics than you ever thingk you need. SD cards are cheap. Memories will last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:49:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trashcan] [#3]
My FIL took his .270 Win Mag the first time and his .375H&H the second.  One shot kills for every animal he took (8 or 9 I think, including a giraffe on the second safari).  My god, what ever you do, DON'T SHOOT AN ELEPHANT!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1300020_Donald_Trump_s_boys_shoot_elephant_on_safari____causes_uproar.html

ETA: +1 on the SD cards.  Make sure they're atleast 1GB each at the very least.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Good advice - I actually shoot my 308 comfortably, but it's an AAC-SD in a heavier stock, so it seems like it would be a poor choice for this type of hunting?  And, since I'm sort of getting into LR shooting anyway, I figured a Win Mag or WSM (7 or 300) would be a good choice that I could still use after getting home from Africa...

The guide says they can move it to S. Africa if that's easier, same game available, same type accommodations, etc. - and I'm finding it will save me a lot on airfare.

Any issues anyone sees with hitting RSA instead of Namibia?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to check with my FIL but I THINK game tends to be bigger in Namibia.  Hang on and I'll post his animals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:44:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trashcan] [#6]
First of all I misspoke earlier.  It wasn't a .270 Win Mag,it was a .270 Weatherby Mag.  Also I only have the animals from his last safari.  Everything from the first safari must be on the other computer.  Anyway, picture time.
Blue Wildabeast taken with the .270

One of the PH's dogs having a snack

Giraffe taken with a CZ .375H&H

Notice the chainsaw they use to butcher above giraffe

Just incase you're wondering how big a giraffe's heart is

Warthog taken with the .270

And a puffader my FIL and the PH found sunning him self in the road

Funny story about the puffader.  That picture is not zoomed in.  The PH grabbed the camera and said "I'll get you a good shot.  Don't worry, they move slower when they're cold."  My FIL was
Hope some of this helps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Great pics, love the warthog!
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish I had the other pictures.  That trip he took all plains game.  Kudu, Springbuck, Waterbuck, Impala I think, maybe some others.  I don't remember.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#9]
It all depends on WHERE in the RSA you are talking about.

Personally I would go Namibia because teh Gemsbock are bigger there and you will shoot a better Springbuck as well.

Besides most 1st safaris go to Africa. Be different and have better stories to tell.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, due to availability it turns out I'm better off doing S. Africa this August  - now my choices are, Mpumalanga or Free State?

Has anyone hunted both, or either?  I understand Free State is more like a tru plains hunt, with wide open spaces and possibly longer shots, whereas Mpumalanga is more hilly/brushy...

I'm primarily looking for Impala, Blesbuk, and/or Springbok, and I don't know if I could pass up a Gemsbok or Hartebeest if I had the shot, although the trophy fee on those is pretty stout.

For those species, which is going to suit me better?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hard to say really.

A lot depends on the individual property and PH and what he has access to.

If I just had to choose between the 2 provinces I would go with the Free State.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Contact the Outfitters for both areas and ask.  Ask for references and talk to previous clients about what game they shot/saw.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I am well acquainted with Namibia, but not so much S. Africa. For the plains game mentioned you cannot go wrong with any of the above suggestions. I try to carry what I know I can purchase shells for locally while in country. The normal "common" calibers such as 30-06, .270, .308, or even the "light" magnums such as .300 or .338 WM are also decent choices, but the extra power is not really needed. Before you go the best advice would be practice, practice, and more practice. Bringing a secondary optical sight makes sense, as I have had to resort to irons due to failures.  Check ahead with your PH/ Outfitter and see if their are any special things they are in need of, from the states, it might be worth a brownie point or two. I usually bring various obscure items such as Hershey type candy, and have given my "staff" gifts such as Case pocket knives (which are worth much more there than here) but make sure you check the local S. African laws first. Do not forget to bring a camera or two.Enjoy your hunt!

-PC-
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The game you mentioned will probably be a little smaller in Mpumalanga. Besides the fact that Mpumalanga, while absolutely beautiful, is way more crowded...I never found it enjoyable to hunt there. Short range shots for the most part with high humidity. The free state will give you long shots and better animals - lot more challenging to hunt. Longer shots. More stalking and less crowded. Not really nice scenery.

If you go to Mpumalanga, you'll have plenty to do when not hunting. Stay out of the bars Ask me how I know...haha. Pilgrims Rest, Graskop, Mac-Mac pools...the list is almost endless. Keep our guard up in Mpumalanga.

If you go to the OFS, there are some things to do, but not a whole lot. About the only things I can think of is the Kimberley mine (You look at it and go "Oh damn, that's big" then walk off) and maybe Orania...I stayed at the river side hotel (Oewersig) in 2008 and it was quite an experience.  OFS is a bit more laid back and calm. I'd prefer to hunt there over Mpumalanga. August may still be a bit nippy there in the mornings and at night.

Above all else, ENJOY IT! You will have a blast no matter which place you go to. Enjoy the food, people and adventure! Try the meat pies, biltong and boere wors...you won't be the same afterwards.
Take pictures! I lived a w lifetime in that place and have almost no pictures to show for it. If you are only going to go once, take pictures of everything, no matter how insignificant you think it may be.

Have fun and good luck!
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pafrank] [#15]
Congratulations on winning the hunt!

I was in SA in April for my first Safari, and took all the game you are going after except a Hartebeest, with my 30-06 and 180 grain Nosler partitions.

For me, the Impala was the most fun animal that I hunted. Not sure why, maybe because it was the first African animal I hunted, but I enjoyed the stalk.  Personally, I'd skip the Red Hartebeest and kick that trophy fee toward a Kudu or a gemsbok. Red hartebeests look great running across the plains, but up close they are downright ugly, and I didn't want one staring at me from my wall.  I passed on Eland too, to me they look like a cross between a Brahama bull, and an antelope and I don't want one of them on my wall either.

I also took a Kudu, zebra, Blue Wildebeest and warthog.

I would definitely recommend an Impala, A warthog. Blesbok. Gemsbok. Common Springbok, Zebra or Red hartebeest

ACTUALLY, NO MY RECOMMENDATION IS THIS....

HUNT EVERYTHING. YOU CAN BORROW MONEY BUT YOU CANNOT BORROW TIME.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top