Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Which 375 H&H? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2010 6:30:44 PM EDT
Should I get the CZ 550 American Safari or the Winchester Classic M70 chambered in 375 H&H?  Mostly medium range (out to 500yds) Texas hog hunting

CZ is 1K
M70 is $1100

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, so neither.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm tossing around the same two choices.  3 position Vs 2 position safeties, capacity, weights, ect.  Try over on the Accurate Reloading Forum.  Might be able to find somebody with 1 of the 2 to let you try if you live close enough together.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The Winchester Mod 70 Safari in 375 H&H is the gold standard of working safari rifles. They are beautiful, robust, well known, and a joy to own and shoot and hunt with. If you get one that won't print excellent groups the cure is usually nothing more than taking the action out of the stock and removing the hot glue lug bedding compound and doing a real bedding job. They are usually very accurate after that. A trigger job is also money well spent.

Hogs hit in the shoulder or between the neck and shoulder with a 375 normally don't get back up. They normally don't twitch much either.

If you are price shopping, get the CZ. If you want a work of art get the Winchester.

My Mod 70 Safari LH is the only rifle I want to be buried with. The kids can have all the rest of my guns.

Hitting a hog at 500 yards with a .375 H&H is a nice fantasy but it probably is not going to hapen in real life. Hogs are not very hard to sneak up on so there is no reason to shoot them from 500 yards. If you are even a moderatly competent hunter you should have no trouble getting to within 200 yards or closer to a feral hog.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
The Winchester Mod 70 Safari in 375 H&H is the gold standard of working safari rifles. They are beautiful, robust, well known, and a joy to own and shoot and hunt with. If you get one that won't print excellent groups the cure is usually nothing more than taking the action out of the stock and removing the hot glue lug bedding compound and doing a real bedding job. They are usually very accurate after that. A trigger job is also money well spent.

Hogs hit in the shoulder or between the neck and shoulder with a 375 normally don't get back up. They normally don't twitch much either.

If you are price shopping, get the CZ. If you want a work of art get the Winchester.

My Mod 70 Safari LH is the only rifle I want to be buried with. The kids can have all the rest of my guns.

Hitting a hog at 500 yards with a .375 H&H is a nice fantasy but it probably is not going to hapen in real life. Hogs are not very hard to sneak up on so there is no reason to shoot them from 500 yards. If you are even a moderatly competent hunter you should have no trouble getting to within 200 yards or closer to a feral hog.

Did you just call me a shitty hunter?  Just joking

I've been hunting TX hogs for about 7 years now.  We do the vermin eradication thing for the rancher.  Where we hunt there are flat open fields between the canyons and its not uncommon for us to engage the hogs at distance.  I just want an option to blast some of the big hogs that hold up around the 400-500yd mark.

Are the pesent day M70 Classic express 375s any good, or does one need to get ahold of the older model 70s?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Both are good. To make me happy both need to be put in new stocks anyway. The CZ needs more work but it is a tougher action. I suggest the newest model 70s, they are very well made.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Both are good. To make me happy both need to be put in new stocks anyway. The CZ needs more work but it is a tougher action. I suggest the newest model 70s, they are very well made.

McMillan makes a nice stock for the CZ. They actually molded cast off into it and profiled it for a dropped box.

I'm more partial to the Model 70, though. Except for the English magazine rifles, it's pretty much the last word for a bolt action safari gun.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
My CZs are gussied up with fine walnut in the English style, barrel bands and all. My M70 rides in McMillan fiberglass and is stainless with sunny hill bottom metal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gargoyle:

I've been hunting TX hogs for about 7 years now.  We do the vermin eradication thing for the rancher.  Where we hunt there are flat open fields between the canyons and its not uncommon for us to engage the hogs at distance.  I just want an option to blast some of the big hogs that hold up around the 400-500yd mark.

Are the pesent day M70 Classic express 375s any good, or does one need to get ahold of the older model 70s?

So, this is gun store heresay (I worked at the store, and this was told to me by the Browning rep*)  That the new M70's are being made in a new location, and are much MUCH better rifles than the late year guns, and have better metalurgy than pre 64's (but possibly not the craftsmanship, lots of CNC).

*Apparently Browning is connected to FN who owns Winchester.  Some sort of 3 way action that results in the new rifles being made in a quality fashion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Giat owns it all, or used to. FN makes them in South Carolina. Better everything than a Pre-64, except less hand fitting. Pre-64s are very rough. The design has also been tweaked. I'm sold.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]

My responses are taylored for the general inmate population who might be reading this. Not for us 1,000 yard hog snipers who really know what we are doing. My favorite bullet is the .375 SIERRA GAME KING 300 grain spitzer boat tail going 3,100 fps with an illegal charge of powder that is so secret that I can't talk about it on the internet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
.378?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, when I pull the trigger it will be a new Model 70 Safari Express 375 H&H.  Though, they all seem to be listed over MSRP on the web gun sites and shops

I've got a Burris Fullfield II Safari 1-5X that will be perfect.  The Safari plex looks like a front sight post with magnification.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine had a 1.5x5 scope on it at first because that's what everybody said was the best scope for a .375, but I found out what a great all round rifle the 375 H&H really is. It makes the perfect rifle for a one rifle safari. Mine now has a fixed 6x Leupold. Not too much power for close, both eyes open, shooting and not too weak for the longer shots at dawn or dusk.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, when I pull the trigger it will be a new Model 70 Safari Express 375 H&H.  Though, they all seem to be listed over MSRP on the web gun sites and shops

I've got a Burris Fullfield II Safari 1-5X that will be perfect.  The Safari plex looks like a front sight post with magnification.

Try Dick's Sporting Goods.  Local place quoted just over $1K delivered.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
While not what you're looking for I bought a Remington 798 from CDNN for 650$. The laminate stocked version was 100$ cheaper.  I should have gone that route instead. Bell and Carlson makes stocks for them since they're in the 700 family.  They're not for everyone but I really like it. I figured I would throw that out as an option.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

While not what you're looking for I bought a Remington 798 from CDNN for 650$. The laminate stocked version was 100$ cheaper.  I should have gone that route instead. Bell and Carlson makes stocks for them since they're in the 700 family.  They're not for everyone but I really like it. I figured I would throw that out as an option.

The 798 is a Zastava Mauser with Remington written on it. Other than the dual forward locking lug bolt design, and the .700 bolt diameter, there is very little similar between them.

A B&C stock for a Mauser 98 might fit them, but don't buy one for a 700 thinking your 798 will fit in it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

While not what you're looking for I bought a Remington 798 from CDNN for 650$. The laminate stocked version was 100$ cheaper. I should have gone that route instead. Bell and Carlson makes stocks for them since they're in the 700 family. They're not for everyone but I really like it. I figured I would throw that out as an option.

The 798 is a Zastava Mauser with Remington written on it. Other than the dual forward locking lug bolt design, and the .700 bolt diameter, there is very little similar between them.

A B&C stock for a Mauser 98 might fit them, but don't buy one for a 700 thinking your 798 will fit in it.

You are correct.  I should have been a little more clear about the stock thing.  But B&C does make stocks for them.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Nobody mentioned the Ruger M77....
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Shopping around for my first big step up in power. Remington has a $100 rebate on the XCR II which

is available in .375 H&H. Anyone have experience with the XCR in .375?

Link Posted: 11/29/2010 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy the Winchester.   My circa 1996 Safari Grade has been FLAWLESS since the day I brought it home on the back of my motorcycle from the shop. Been to RSA once, taken 4 elk here in MT...heck of a rifle.

As previously stated...THE Classic Safari rifle.

FN in MT
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I went through the same decisions.

I went with the Winchester M70.

Very solid rifle.

I like it a great deal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not own either but messed with both and really like the Model 70.  I have had 2 model 70 SS Classics.  Both shot under and an inch with factory ammo.  I have the .300 WSM.  It is a very nice rifle.

Historically, like 10-15 years ago Winchester made a stainless synthetic .375 H&H with iron sights.  That would be my choice.  Best of all worlds.  I love the simplicity of the Winchester.

The stock on the CZ is pretty, but just does not fit me well.  I have nothing against the rifle, just the fit.  I am shorter than the ideal height for the length of pull.

Wait a week and see what is introduced at the Shot Show.  If Winchester brings back that SS .375 H&H, I would jump all over it and not look back.  

I looked at the 789 as well and that would have been my poor man's option.  But that one would need some work to make it smooth and lighten the trigger.

I am partial to synthetic stocks and stainless, especially the blackened stainless guns.

Ruger would be an option for me, but the safety on those is so sharp it is uncomfortable and harder to manipulate with gloves.   They only chamber their offering in .375 Ruger.  So you would need to find an older one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
The M77 is available in .375 H&H.

http://ruger.com/products/m77MarkIIMagnum/models.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#24]
$2404 for the Ruger Mk II?  Too much green for that rifle.

I just picked up the Mod 70 in stainless for $1400.  It has had a trigger job and the stock has been laminated, pillared and glass bedded.

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#25]

.378?

Weatherby?  Very obnoxious recoil.  $134 a box of 20 MSRP.  Only holds two in the magazine versus three for the M70 and 5 for the CZ.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread, although older, is relevant to my interests.
I'm entering the market for a .375H&H... Please correct any glaring errors I may make?

The M70 offers controlled round feed and a proven action with mag capacity of 3?
The CZ is a Mauser style with controlled feed, 2 position safety and mag capacity of 5?
EAA imports the Zatava Z98, which Remington used to sell as the 798... Controlled feed, lesser finish than the CZ or Win?  From what I can find, no iron sights on the .375H&H... Pretty much a deal breaker.
Ruger bolt gun... Does that have the controlled round feed?
Remington 700 Safari... No controlled round from what I know, basically disqualified from my options.
Savage offers a custom shop in .375H&H... Do Savage bolt guns have the controlled feed?

Basically, I want controlled feed, express sights, a front sling mount not on the forearm and a 3 position safety.  Should I even entertain thoughts other than the Winchester?  Any other bolt guns under 2k$ that I should consider?
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy a Classic winchester. Put it in a Darcy Echols Legend stock, add Williams bottom metal and a Duane Wiebe mag box for a capacity of four. Might have a hard time finding a standard .375, I think they were all Safari models with the heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#28]
The discontinued Ruger Safari Magnum and Interarms Whitworth/Mark X rifles are both under $2K.  Remington did import a "Safari" version of the 798 with barrel band sling mount.  You could get a plain jane 798 for around $700 and have a little gunsmithing done to get it where you want it option wise.  The Kimber Talkeetna is a synthetic stock/SS rifle with the features you listed.  Check out American Hunting Rifles.  They are THE place to go for CZ550 custom work.  

I too wanted a rifle with ALL the tradional Express Rifle features.  After shooting a 458WM with a standard front swivel mount on the stock I realized that the barrel band sling swivel was not a necessity for me.  My Interarms Mark X Express

Be sure to check out Gun Broker, Guns America, Guns International, Cabela's Gun Library and Elite Deal Seeker on your search.  Also lots of info on Accurate Reloading.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I have been looking for another .375 caliber (preferably H&H or 375 Weatherby) rifle, but I am wanting it as a light pack/ mountain rifle. I too, would like controlled feeding, but I may be willing to sacrifice some features for extra weight savings. So far, the lightest weight rifle I have found, that is a current production rifle, has been the Browning A-Bolt Stalker @ 7 lbs even. I figure cutting the barrel from 24 to 21-22 inches and replacing the sights with a ghost ring sight will be perfect for my purpose (except no controlled feed). And at around 1000, I figure it is a win! And before you say it, I am not recoil sensitive as long as it is reasonable, and as compared to some of my other rifles, it will be reasonable

Good Luck in your pursuit!

-PC-
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#30]
As a follow up... I just placed my order for a Win 70 Safari Classic.

I already have 250 pieces of brass and enough bullets, primers and powder to last for several years.  Now... Let's go see if Mr Waters suggested "best" loads hold up n this caliber as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By OiRogers:

I already have 250 pieces of brass and enough bullets, primers and powder to last for several years.  Now... Let's go see if Mr Waters suggested "best" loads hold up n this caliber as well.

Look forward to pics and a range report.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 11:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OiRogers] [#32]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:

Look forward to pics and a range report.

My rifle ships on 01/17/2012... Can't wait.

I'm now pondering slings and sticks... I have a Monopod type stick (hiking staff and single point shooting stick) and am pondering the "Ching Sling" type along vs a military sling vs the "safari ready sling" from Cabelas... I'm currently leaning toward the Glaco Ching Sling for the new toy.

And sadly, I've already started saving for the next rifle... I *Will* have a double rifle in a stopping caliber before too long. . Baring that, I just need to figure out how to shoot my AR50 off a set of sticks.

Edit:  Got my rifle this morning.
Ordered the Glaco Safari Ching Sling and a set of Blackhawk Swivels.
Got a pile of 300gr ammo set to go (5 of each load.... 20 total different loads.... my shoulder hurts in anticipation)

Now to find some free time to hit the range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I came home from Afghanistan last March & picked up my stainless Mod 70 (pictured on page 1) & only had a chance to fondle it.  Haven't shot it yet.  Went back overseas on another tour.  Coming home in 6 weeks, & I can't wait to shoot it.  I'll be sure to post a range report afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#34]

I have one and it is the finest rifle I will ever own.  We have shot at hogs in south Texas at over 500 yards with it and my friends .458.  Technically it's called lobbing (sp?)them in.  It's a blast but we have never hit one.  I use my WBY .300 Accurmark for that.  They don't run when hit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:18:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#35]
I'm entering the market for a .375H&H... Please correct any glaring errors I may make?

The M70 offers controlled round feed and a proven action with mag capacity of 3?
The CZ is a Mauser style with controlled feed, 2 position safety and mag capacity of 5?
EAA imports the Zatava Z98, which Remington used to sell as the 798... Controlled feed, lesser finish than the CZ or Win?  From what I can find, no iron sights on the .375H&H... Pretty much a deal breaker.
Remington 700 Safari... No controlled round from what I know, basically disqualified from my options.
Savage offers a custom shop in .375H&H... Do Savage bolt guns have the controlled feed?

Basically, I want controlled feed, express sights, a front sling mount not on the forearm and a 3 position safety.  Should I even entertain thoughts other than the Winchester?  Any other bolt guns under 2k$ that I should consider?

CZ can be reworked to a 3 pos safety
http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

Ruger is CRF, but the RSM are heavy for a .375.  Newer ones only in 375 Ruger not 375H&H
Savage is PF

Most economical is either a New Haven M70 and have reworked by Mark Penrod (what I did) or CZ reworked by AHR as mentioned above.

ETA
oops, see you have a M70 on order.  The FN guns are nice, but I like the older trigger style better.  (but I am old school about such stuff, I am sure you will enjoy your rifle.)
The .375 is a great caliber.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#36]
If anyone wants to get a rifle worked on by Wayne at AHR shoot me an IM and I'll let you know what to ask for. He's a damn fine guy, delivers on time too. I can't say enough nice things.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

CZ can be reworked to a 3 pos safety
http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

Ruger is CRF, but the RSM are heavy for a .375.  Newer ones only in 375 Ruger not 375H&H
Savage is PF

Most economical is either a New Haven M70 and have reworked by Mark Penrod (what I did) or CZ reworked by AHR as mentioned above.

ETA
oops, see you have a M70 on order.  The FN guns are nice, but I like the older trigger style better.  (but I am old school about such stuff, I am sure you will enjoy your rifle.)
The .375 is a great caliber.

The trigger (and bolt) on my FN M70 have proven sweet... Crisp break and not too heavy.  The bolt after a few hundred rounds is now one of the smoothest I've had the pleasure of using.
I am very pleased with my M70.
Thanks again for all the input here guys... My .375h&h has become my most shot rifle and is already in the spot of "the One I'll never part with".

Now... I'm starting to ponder a .458Lott (or larger... )... I may go with a CZ with the 3 position safety mod on that one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#38]
A competant gunsmith can rework a M70 from .458WM to Lott.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a remington 700 classic why because I haet motecarlo stocks andit was $350

yes itis not controlledfeedbut I do not hunt dangerous game either.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:28:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OiRogers] [#40]

Don't tell me these things. . I have an urge... Your feeding it.

and to follow up on the .375... The five folks I've let shoot mine all agree, recoil isn't near as harsh as my .45/70 levergun loaded with retina detaching 405gr loads at near 1900FPS from a 7 pound rifle.   The .375 is a solid shove... The .45/70 sucker punches you.
Two of em are even seriously considering getting a .375 as their first bolt gun.

and SD307.... I'd have jumped on that 700 in a heartbeat... Killer price you landed on a quality rifle.  I do prefer the CRF of the "Mauser" based actions, but a .375h&h for 350$.   Dag-gum.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H as well as 416 Rem Mag. I have been very happy with both of them. They are accurate and I would recommend them without hesitation. I have handled a CZ 550 American but did not get to put rounds down range. It seemed like a great rifle. Both were fairly heavy for caliber.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

View Quote
An incompetent one can as well.  It just won't feed correctly.

I have a M70 in 458 Win Mag I am thinking of having opened up to a Lott.

Trouble is, hand loading with modern powders make up for the shortcomings Lott tried to fix, so how really necessary it is is debatable.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Trouble is, hand loading with modern powders make up for the shortcomings Lott tried to fix, so how really necessary it is is debatable.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This. It's not a conversion known for feeding without proper attention.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By crash700:

I have a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H as well as 416 Rem Mag. I have been very happy with both of them. They are accurate and I would recommend them without hesitation. I have handled a CZ 550 American but did not get to put rounds down range. It seemed like a great rifle. Both were fairly heavy for caliber.
View Quote
How in the hell did you come across this 2 years later?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#45]
No love for Kimbers here?  They are a different price point.  I got one in 338 Win Mag this spring and it is a fantastic rifle.  They all come pillar/glass bedded.  Claw extractor.  If I get another bolt action rifle it will be a Kimber.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/talkeetna
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#46]
A friend of mine has a CZ550 in 375. I have shot it a few times at the range and its a nice rig. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Some of the privi ammo didnt extract but I think that was more COAL lenght or something being off. All the normal quality ammo worked fine. The recoil wasnt too bad on it either.

The CZ is a good value too. I have bunch of CZ handguns that have always been fantastic. If budge isnt an issue I might also like the SAKO Kodiak.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have an opinion on the Browning X bolt?  Looking into all my 375 options and I've seen a couple of these pop up...
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JimPope:
Anyone have an opinion on the Browning X bolt?  Looking into all my 375 options and I've seen a couple of these pop up...
View Quote

I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the X-bolt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the Winchester. One of the things to remember is recoil, make sure the sling mount is on the barrel not the stock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#50]

I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the X-bolt.
View Quote

Thanks.

I'll keep looking for a 70.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Which 375 H&H? (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top