BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2008 5:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate videos like this one.  That isn't hunting.  A hunt like that is killing for killing sake.  There is no need to kill an elephant other than to say you did.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By DV8:
I hate videos like this one.  That isn't hunting.  A hunt like that is killing for killing sake.  There is no need to kill an elephant other than to say you did.

I think we all discussed this before.
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=1&t=612377

Hell of a video though, don't you think?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Not into it, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
He should be very proud of that, what a tough shot. That is what I call skill.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By ORMilitia:
He should be very proud of that, what a tough shot. That is what I call skill.

Yeah, hitting a target 4 feet in diameter from 30 yards.  That is what I call a challenge.  Granted, that target can charge and stomp you into a crimson mud hole, but you have guides who will get a shot off to prevent that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Would prefer to see the elephant win.

Any good videos of stompings?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:

I would like to see an elephant trample through the Dem side of Congress.  That is a win win in my book.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Tough crowd here today.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8

This elephant saw the video in the OP

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDZEd9G-40
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
damn he dropped that bastard good
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Did you read some of the comments?!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Saw that one. I heard Dell support was down for days after that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Saw that one. I heard Dell support was down for days after that.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8

Haha.  Any good videos of stompings?  Hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#15]
The only thing preventing me from sport hunting an elephant is money. By sport hunting I mean that I would kill an elephant just for the fun of doing it.

With the availability of Problem Elephant Control Permits I actually can afford to kill an elephant but would not be satisfide with a tuskless cow or samllish bull and no trophy to take home.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm off to the Caprivi in less than ten days for a trophy bull.  I agree, I just don't care to hunt a cow, tuskless or really even a PAC.  

I am quite happy to let others do it though.

Link Posted: 7/24/2008 4:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whomper] [#17]

You should really educate yourself about Africa before you make statements like that. Population control on animals as big as that is important. The last option on the poll is correct. PH's have been culling herds for years. They would go in and take out whole herds of 10-20 elephants at once. Otherwise, the elephants will eat damn near everything in an area if you let them. And its a bit difficult to make an elephant proof fence...Then the locals suffer after the critters ate their crops. Also, the locals are generally grateful for the 5 tons of meat that was just made available...

And if you think its THAT easy to walk up to an elephant and pop him in the brain, you are seriously mistaken. Its supposedly a fairly tricky shot. You have to factor in the massive skull, the angle of the shot, and you typically have to be fairly close and make damn sure you don't get winded.

I personally, I never thought much about safari, until I read,  "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth" by Jeff Cooper. He said he never thought about it, until he read, "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter H. Capstick. So I went out and got that book. Damn fine reading. Ever since then, I've had safari on the brain.

Weird the addy for the video was the 777 Ranch in Hondo, TX. We went there as kids as a school group or a church group.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By whomper:

You should really educate yourself about Africa before you make statements like that. Population control on animals as big as that is important. The last option on the poll is correct. PH's have been culling herds for years. They would go in and take out whole herds of 10-20 elephants at once. Otherwise, the elephants will eat damn near everything in an area if you let them. And its a bit difficult to make an elephant proof fence...Then the locals suffer after the critters ate their crops. Also, the locals are generally grateful for the 5 tons of meat that was just made available...

And if you think its THAT easy to walk up to an elephant and pop him in the brain, you are seriously mistaken. Its supposedly a fairly tricky shot. You have to factor in the massive skull, the angle of the shot, and you typically have to be fairly close and make damn sure you don't get winded.

I personally, I never thought much about safari, until I read,  "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth" by Jeff Cooper. He said he never thought about it, until he read, "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter H. Capstick. So I went out and got that book. Damn fine reading. Ever since then, I've had safari on the brain.

Weird the addy for the video was the 777 Ranch in Hondo, TX. We went there as kids as a school group or a church group.

I understand the need for population control and I have no issues with it at all.  I am a hunter and a sportsman.  If you watch this video, you will see that the first half of the video mentions nothing about population control, rogue elephants or anything other than seeing a bull elephant get shot.  

The video is designed to promote this guys safari business.  The 2nd half of the business is there so that they can justify what they do and the money they charge to do it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I have no interest in killing an elephant, but don't feel that it is wrong for others to want to.  I do acknowledge and understand the "conservation issues" that require the culling of herds.

My "safari dream" involves Kudu and Cape Buffalo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Great video.

Thanks for posting it.

There is no animal on Earth I wouldn't kill. They are ALL animals, not humans.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I spent a month in that area of Botswana last year on a friends Elephant hunt. We would head out in a different direction everyday and see hundreds of Elephant daily. More Elephants than I saw whitetail in Texas. Should we shut down Deer hunting in texas? Shit my best pig ranch here on the best day might see 100 to 150 pigs. Botswana I'd see 2oo to 300 Elephants on a good day. OMG ban pig hunting they are going extinct.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 12:40:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pieeater] [#22]

Jeff Rann owns the triple 7.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#23]

I am a hunter and a sportsman.  

What animals do you hunt and how do you hunt them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By krpind:
Great video.

Thanks for posting it.

There is no animal on Earth I wouldn't kill. They are ALL animals, not humans.

Good man krpind. I'll drink to that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Only in self defense... I'm not a hunter, however I am pro-hunter.

Just my choice...

Link Posted: 7/29/2008 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#26]
if i could aford it yea i would love to. there is nothing wrong with hunting any animal. were i think hunters go wrong is saying its not right to hunt this animal only theses, we all have to stick toghter to keep are hunting rights. if not we will all loose.

animals dont have rights

stuck
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#27]
You kill an elephant with your legs.  The rifle is an incidental tool to finalize the reason you are there.

The gunshot is anti-climactic, but a video of a hunting party walking around staring into the sand for 11 days wouldn't have the same production appeal.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2008 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#28]
God I wish I could afford an elephant hunt.  My Namibian plains game hunt was about the limit of what I could afford, butif I could I would have gone after all 5 dangerous game.  I had a chance on 3 cheetahs for free, but we didn't see any.
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By JohnCrighton:
 I had a chance on 3 cheetahs for free, but we didn't see any.
Its funny how that works. I always get "pigs are free shoot as many as you can" Of course they havnt seen a pig in 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By pieeater:

Its funny how that works. I always get "pigs are free shoot as many as you can" Of course they havnt seen a pig in 5 years.

Yeah, the jackals and baboons were free, and I was on them like white on rice, but cheetahs and one old Eland would have been free if we had seen them, but no dice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I would really like to shoot one. I want to eat one pretty bad. I am also waiting for a miniature elephant that I can keep as a pet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By pieeater:

Yeah, the jackals and baboons were free, and I was on them like white on rice, but cheetahs and one old Eland would have been free if we had seen them, but no dice.

You mean Leopard, right?  

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Hunting is Hunting, if this is what you what to do go for it. What do they do with all that meat ? I don't have a freezer that big. LOL
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TEXAN1970:
Hunting is Hunting, if this is what you what to do go for it. What do they do with all that meat ? I don't have a freezer that big. LOL

They take the meat to the local village and give it out. Its like Christmas time to them.

Link Posted: 4/12/2009 11:32:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#35]
Edited by OP to remove totally inappropriate comment.

Link Posted: 4/12/2009 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By eracer:

You may want to take a look at what forum this is before spouting that bullshit.

Here is a hint for you....this is a technical forum
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Meh, I've kinda got a mental block about it.  I don't mind that guy doing it to make a living, I don't mind anyone helping with the overpopulation issues, but I'm not really into hunting non-prey animals.  Dead lions and leopards remind me too much of my cats, and its not like full grown elephants have any predators, other than man.  

Pest animals like yotes or baboons I could deal with, but hooves and horns is really all I'm personally interested in shooting.  

Facing down a big bull like that takes some stones though.  Give him props for that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#38]

I hate videos like this one. That isn't hunting. A hunt like that is killing for killing sake. There is no need to kill an elephant other than to say you did.

I personally, I never thought much about safari, until I read, "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth" by Jeff Cooper. He said he never thought about it, until he read, "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter H. Capstick. So I went out and got that book. Damn fine reading. Ever since then, I've had safari on the brain.

Was planning on a response like this.

While I personally wouldn't hunt an elephant, hunters are desperately needed to keep the elephant from becoming extinct.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#39]
disgusting
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 3:54:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerhappy_99] [#40]
That was one of the most dumbest things i've ever seen. The elephant knows they're there, and is just chillin. And they shoot it.

"WOOHOO such an awesome 2 seconds of my life! So exciting and sporting.

Hmmm... what should we do now Bob?"

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#41]
There is alot more work involved than the video shows.

to keep game and non game animals managed there must be culling.usually old\trophy animals,out of the reproduction cycle.

because of human encroachment and lose of habitat this is the only solution.

simple wildlife biology 101.

nothing of the animal is wasted,provides jobs to the locals,brings in money to the economy(tags,permits,et al)

win\win for everybody including the animals hunted.

that is all.

clown

plus that was a good shot!
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 11:25:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SP10] [#42]

"Bully!"

Going on a safari "back in the day" must have been an amazing experience.

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Great video.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:34:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Javak] [#44]

That won't buff out, but they may be able to re-inflate the guy.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#45]
that guy looked awful small when the elephant swung round. I would be shitting razor blades at that point!

I would love to hunt a nice bull.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#46]
A brain shot on an elephant is incredibly difficult.  Props to Mr. Rann on a fine shot!  I have read all of Capstick's books and dream of having the scratch to pay for a full safari
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#47]
That was a pretty good shot. Its not like the animal goes to waste either. People have no problem killing Bambi but rage hard when someone shoots Dumbo? Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd love to do that someday with my sons........maybe even my daughters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 9:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPPYO] [#49]
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:
You kill an elephant with your legs.  The rifle is an incidental tool to finalize the reason you are there.

The gunshot is anti-climactic, but a video of a hunting party walking around staring into the sand for 11 days wouldn't have the same production appeal.  

they say for a good bull about 30 days and plenty of leg time!

I think many here sit behind a computer screen and really can't understant how these big critters are hunted up close and personel!

You can blame Walt Disney for that!

Myself I don't have a big enough pair of balls to hunt a big bull in sporting style. Actually in real life the thought of having my remains shipped home in a 1lb. zip lock bag ain't cool.

Theres good reading on old Ivory hunters from way back out there! At least the few who lived to talk about it anyways!

It's quite interesting seeing how many of the smaller Indian Work Elephants stomp their owners into a soupy mess!

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By Drsalee:

I'd love to do that someday with my sons........maybe even my daughters.

Well if you wanna go, I know a guy....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top