Link Posted: 4/24/2008 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful pics.

Awesome Kudu.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/24/2008 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
That zebra sure looks like he's enjoying his belly rub!
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
My hunting buddy has a great sense of humor. He wanted to try something a little different for his trophy photo.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#6]
nice pics.

Is the meat divided amongst the hunting group, festive eating, or given to local tribes?
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
We eat all we can and sell the rest.

Seriously. The meat that is not eaten in camp by the hunting group is all rendered into biltong and then sold to local bushmeat markets. Sometimes the safari outfit has a contract to supply meat to a mining company or something similar and then the whole skinned carcuses are loaded into a pickup truck, covered with a tarp, and taken to the companies butchery to feed the workers.

None of it is wasted. In most of Africa biltong is a substitute for cash money and can be traded for just about anything.
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
We eat all we can and sell the rest.

Seriously. The meat that is not eaten in camp by the hunting group is all rendered into biltong and then sold to local bushmeat markets. Sometimes the safari outfit has a contract to supply meat to a mining company or something similar and then the whole skinned carcuses are loaded into a pickup truck, covered with a tarp, and taken to the companies butchery to feed the workers.

None of it is wasted. In most of Africa biltong is a substitute for cash money and can be traded for just about anything.

Was just curious based on the continents 3rd world living. I figured the teeth would be used for something

I am also curious to know if that darn zebra tastes like a horse?
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I have no idea what a horse tastes like but would have no problem eating one. Since Zebra and horse are somewhat related they probably do taste the same. A good safari outfit will have a top notch chef in camp or running the kitchen in the lodge. A good chef could make a boot taste good. The meals are one of the great pleasures of safari hunting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Good Stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/27/2008 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/27/2008 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
great pictures
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/28/2008 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
These pictures look straight out of a 70s or so National Geographic.
Would be great to have them framed around your trophy/gun room.
What a great adventure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]
These photos are from several different trips starting in the early 90s. Some are scans of 35mm prints.

It is very possible that National Geographic had some influence on my photography style. That was the only excitement a good Catholic boy could get when I was growing up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/29/2008 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Any requests? Want to see more live animals, dead animals, African people doing their thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#21]
African people doing their thing and live animals would be most interesting to me I think!
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:31:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#23]

Some African people walking down the side of the road. Less than one percent of Africans have cars.

ALL of these people are Africans including the woman on the far right. The black woman is wearing traditional tribal dress for Hererro tribe.

A couple of citizens of The Republic of South Africa. They are staff members of a safari lodge in the Limpopo Province.

Only one of these people is an African. The blond park ranger. We hired her to drive us around in the Land Rover jitney and talk to us while we drank lots of beer.  

Here is another African. Mrs. DeJager. She and her husband run a nice safari lodge near Ellisras, Limpopo

My buddy talking to Alma, yup, she is African. Alma is a cook working for Mrs. DeJager. Alma is a very good cook. My buddy likes to eat. That's why he is looking at her like that.

The guy standing in the back of the truck is Mr. Kriel, an African. He stopped to let us streatch our legs and use the bushes while he called ahead to our next destination to tell them we were on schedule. This was somewhere in the Free State of RSA.

Safari crew in a Zimbabwe bush camp. All Africans. The one in the middle is one of the best dangerous game trackers in the business. He works for Roger Whittall.

All of these guys are African except one. The black guy in the sweater is American. Buddy is a retired NASA engineer who went hunting with us. The rest are Namibians.

Christian DeJager. 100% African. I talked to him for five minutes but could not get him to talk. I thought he was shy. Then someone told me he does not speak one word of English.

The guy on the right is an African. Peter Peacock. He grew up on a farm and is a PH working in RSA. The guy on the left is an American but he speaks pretty good Africans. He lives near Seattle and takes people hunting in Africa. One of the few Americans who are licensed as an African PH. If you saw the photo going around the net a few years ago of a guy holding a giant mountain lion, that is him.

Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Great pictures!
I have never really been interested in visiting the African continent until recently. Looks like an aamazing experience
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 5/2/2008 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#26]
too cool H_T_G

How many times have you been??
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Five. Number six is in the planning stages. It is going to be three days of hunting followed by seven days of motorcycle touring.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#28]
sounds awesome.  

is there a jealous smiley somewhere
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By fish223:
sounds awesome.  

is there a jealous smiley somewhere

We always have room for one more. We could leave you at the hunting lodge and you could continue hunting while we go off and ride motorcycles.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#30]

If you don't mind me asking.  How much if you wanted to shoot Crocs and Hyenas?
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 4:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#31]

Originally Posted By Silly_Look:

If you don't mind me asking.  How much if you wanted to shoot Crocs and Hyenas?

The daily rate for hunting is somewhere in the neighborhood of three hundred dollars a day. On top of that you pay for each animal you shoot.

Here is a good place to start. It will give you a general idea of how the hunting works. This is RSA but it is about the same for plainsgame wherever you hunt.
www.huntinginafrica.co.za/index.htm

This one is in Namibia.
www.namibianhunter.de/

Another one in RSA.
mmkoutfitters.com/index.htm

I have no business connection or interest with any of th above hunting outfits. I can guarantee that all three of them will give you a fair deal.

Link Posted: 5/3/2008 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]

The price list for those hunts made me realize how lucky President Teddy Roosevelt was.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#34]

Link Posted: 5/7/2008 10:39:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#35]

Mopane forest in Northern Zimbabwe. Difficult to spot game here but stalking is easy for a quiet and patient hunter. Any medium power rifle with a low power scope is appropriate for this terrain when huntng plains game. Shots are usually well under 100 yards.

Lowveld in Southern Zimbabwe. Spotting game is easy here but stalking is challenging. A flat shooting rifle and medium power scope is a must. Shots can be long.

Riverine thicket in Zimbabwe. Like hunting in hell. Very challenging.

Typical woods in Limpopo Province, Republic of South Africa. Shots are close to very close. Moving about quietly is very difficult. It is very common for the animal you trying to shoot to be looking right at you. You must identify your target and shoot quickly. They don't hang around long.

Rocky hills in Limpopo Province, Republic of South Africa. Spot and stalk hunting here is lots of fun and more relaxing than in the woods.

High plains of Free State Province of Republic of South Africa. If you like hunting in Wyoming you will love the Free State. Very long shots are common. Stalking is difficult because there is nothing but terrain contour to hide behind.

High desert in Namibia. There is a surprising amount of game hiding there. Glass vast areas with good binoculars from a high point of land and then plan a stalk. This is easy country to hunt but involves lots of walking. Shots range from 100 yards out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#36]
reminds me of Texas hill Country. Beautiful pics
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 8:32:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#37]

Link Posted: 5/8/2008 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Very cool pics.  Thanks.

What is the city on page one?  I'm guessing Johannesburg or Cape Town.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 1:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#39]
I am also guessing Johannesburg. Pretty sure it is but not 100 percent sure. It's either Johannesburg or Pretoria and I am thinking that Pretoria was pretty clean compared to Johannesburg. It is most certainly not Cape Town because I have never been there.

Edit:

It is Pretoria after all. We flew in to Johannesburg and were picked up at the airport by our PH who then drove us to Peter Harris' guest lodge just east of Pretoria. We spent the night there and left for the hunting area the next morning. That picture was taken early in the morning just before we left.

I remember asking the PH about the pollution thinking that there were not that many cars for the ammount of pollution in the air. He said that the pollution was caused by the thousands of small houses or huts. Each one has a fireplace for cooking and heating and they burn anything that will burn to heat the room. That is why you don't see any trash lying around. They pick up any bit of plastic, paper, cardboard, rubber, or wood and take it home and burn it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 10:38:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#40]

This animal is fully grown. It is a gold medal Steinbuck. One of the best I have seen. The shot was also one of the best I have ever seen. Chris shot it at over 250 yards with his 375 H&H and hit it on the first try.

It seams like you only see something like this when you don't have the money for the trophy fee!! It is a very nice Sable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 10:39:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#41]
If you book through Peter Harris or use a PH that is associated with him, you will probably begin your South African safari here. After sitting on planes or in airports for thirty hours, crossing the equator and the date line, and clearing customs and firearms registration in Johannesburg,  your head will be spinning. This lodge is a great place to get a hot shower, a good meal and good nights sleep before pushing off to your hunting area.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 7:20:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#43]

Check out the t-shirt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 7:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#44]

Link Posted: 5/13/2008 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Great pics. What does the guys shirt say?
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 7:13:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#46]
Thanks.

The t-shirt says Hakeem Olajuwon.

The Mrs. shot that warthog at dark thirty and it ran into a hole in a vine covered brush thicket. Nobody wanted to go in after it. This guy made some funny comments about the lack of bravery of his fellow trackers. They pointed out that it had nothing to do with bravery and everything to do with seniority and rank.

Sounded like a bunch of cops standing around a warehouse with a burglar inside.

So he gets down and belly crawls into the hole. Twenty minutes later he came back out feet first towing the dead warthog.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 7:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#47]

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Jolly good show, Headless!!  Keep the pics coming!
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 12:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headless_T_Gunner] [#49]
A few years ago Republic of South Africa had an official policy of seperating the races. Apartide. The U.S. wanted it stopped and banned a lot of trade with R.S.A. so you could not fly to Johannesburg and then on to Zimbabwe. It was necessary to fly from Houston to Chicago to London and then to Harrare Zimbabwe.

There was a ten hour layover in London because British Air did not want to land at Harare at night. I don't blame them. You could see the scorch marks on the side of the runway where they light car tires to use as runway lights. Flying British Air and landing in London was a real pain in the ass, not only because of the ten hour layover, but because the British hate guns and liked to fuck with people flying through their country with guns. If you have an Irish last name you really get fucked with. So during the ten hour layover in London you had two choices, sit around the airport and every few minutes a couple of British JBTs would walk by with machine guns and give you the stink eye, or you could take the subway to downtown London and walk around to kill time. That was not much fun either because if you had an American accent it was difficult to start a conversation with locals. They were not very friendly. Just about the opposite of Texans.

Now you can fly directly to Johannesburg. That is fine with me. If you want to go through Europe you still have the option of landing in Frankfurt, Germany instead of London. From what I have been told the Germans don't appear to have a phobia about firearms.

If you are going to Namibia you can fly from U.S. to Frankfurt and then directly to Windhoek.

Then after you land in Harrare you could charter a Cesna to fly you to the middle of nowhere to begin your safari.

Link Posted: 5/15/2008 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Great pictures.
Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top