Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 11:08:37 AM EDT
Do any of you have or have had one those pocket knives with a blade and a wire gut hook?

Does it make cleaning birds any easier, or is it not really worth the money?

Something like this:

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never used one, though if it is large than a quail/dove then I just do the gutless method and grab the legs afterwards.  Only need a knife for the above method.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always found game birds legs to be stringy and not very palatable.  So I always just twist the wings, put my fingers where the neck meets the breast, and pull.  The breast pulls right off, no knife needed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Buck version of that knife.  Like others said, it's usually easier to pop the breast off with your fingers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.

I've only ever breasted out any of the birds I've taken.  I was thinking that something like this might be useful for cleaning a bird if I wanted the whole carcass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the cold steel bird and trout knife for cleaning birds.

I breast everything out, so it's not difficult.

Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Game shears here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Try the havalon with the replaceable blades.  I’ve been very happy with mine
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]

I know it may seem a bit overkill, but it's the quickest and easiest tool that I have found for removing the wings from a dove breast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top