Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
Bald Eagle Poisoning

The article reeks of BS. Anyone able to provide a rebuttal with proof?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
From a website called dodo, there is the problem.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The population is booming right now. It's at the highest I've ever seen it. I worked for the US Fish and Wildlife service 15 years ago and we thought it was high then.There appear to be more now. They nest all over the place here in NE Iowa and on the Mississippi river. The amount of deaths is not proportional to the population. The number of birds has gone up much faster and higher than the number of poisonings.

I'm sure there are numbers out there in possession of the .Gov that show this. It makes for good Donation inducing PR though to show  a bunch of dead birds. All of those dead birds are kept by the USFWS and allocated out to Native groups for Ceremonial purposes only. Sad, cause I'd love to have one Taxidermy mounted in flight with a small Poodle in it's Talons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I did not read the article you cited - but member 'church' here had a couple pretty good threads on his hunting with a redtail hawk for the past couple of seasons.  Somewhere in the thread he discussed raptors in general and their susceptibility to lead poisoning.   Apparently it doesn't take much lead ingested to kill a raptor, I suppose their gizzards  grind it up fine enough to be absorbed into the blood stream.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration on Wednesday finalized a rule that lets wind-energy companies operate high-speed turbines for up to 30 years — even if means killing or injuring thousands of federally protected bald and golden eagles.Dec 14, 2016
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no scientific proof, but where I live there are Bald Eagles EVERYWHERE.  They sit on the side of the road eating road kill all the time.  Most of the time they don't even move as you pass them.  Here in MN they are living fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There are over 200 bald eagles currently hanging out in or around sand lake national wildlife refuge in northern SD.  Population is doing fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top