Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 12:05:40 PM EDT
So we own 60 acres of mostly oaks and I know there are turkey there since I have seen them as well as feathers etc.

I am not a hunter usually in that it involves two things I don't normally care for, getting up early and the cold.

So I think I have decided to try spring gobbler turkey hunting this year but I have no idea where to even start.

I have plenty of shotguns to choose from so point me in the right direction to learn about it so I can have some nice spring weather fun.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch in the evening and see where they are roosting and where they fly down to in the morning  Set up in that area - not too close and get a call of your choice and practice. We set up maybe 100yds off and we have killed several birds. We use chair blinds with guns and a full sized blind for bows. I prefer slate calls try several and see what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you haven't done this before, I'll give you the short and skinny version since I've got to run to class and really should be doing my homework.
Basically you should do some scouting before you get up at a godforsaken hour and ruin your hunt messing around in the dark and getting frustrated.
On your land locate the most open areas, like fields or pastures, if there are a choices lets say pick two,bonus if they lead to or are between water.
set up a ground blind in each field near the game trail, place decoys accordingly, im sure Field and Stream or some other publication has some placement images for help
set up your ground blind so it isn't too high and you have decent FOV, a padded cushion, backed seat is a game changer.
Wear full camo, Turkeys have incredible vision. Face mask or face paint too is great.
If you are new to it don't waste time calling, you'll spook them. I't takes times to master calling. its fun but seriously do it in the offseason for a few seasons before you decide to scare the birds away so youre already hooked.
Your gun should be 12G, pump or auto it doesn't really matter, what matters is the choke tube. You want the tightest pattern possible. buy a turjey specific choke and turkey specific rounds, pattern your gun at 20/30/40 yards  so you know limitations. Modern turkey chokes and shells often can now land kill zone pellets at 50 yards, don't go out there with the distance mindset though, you want them close, you want that softball size wad of pellets hitting him in the neck and head only. I often chirp or grunt or make a noise prior to the shot so the bird sticks his head up or out even further away from the body, less pellets to pick out.
Bring garden clippers, handheld. use it to modify and add natural cover to your ground blind. Cover blind spots/seethough areas that will give the birds better perspective in picking you out.
Full Camo.
Patience.
Turkey hunting is amazing too because of the other animal life you see while on their level, moreso than elevated deer hunting.
Move slowly while the sun is up.
Get to your blind early, before the sun comes up, You'll hear the turkeys coming down from roost and can often judge which direction to focus on.
Shoot the colorful ones. Not a hen.
The hens are used as scouts be the toms, often there will be one or two who go ahead or linger behind, the amount of times a hunt has been busted because one sneaky silent hen either before or after the flock is frustrating.
Seriously pattern your gun, buy a turkey specific choke tube, don't underestimate your ability to miss with a tight pattern.
Rifles are bullshit. And this is coming from a guy with a shotgun scope on his turkey gun. Bows are cool. If you can pull off/hold a full draw long enough or without spooking a tom to get one, thats awesome.
Dont worry about scent.
thermacells are great too. Slapping mosquitos ruins the "don't move and don't lose your mind" thing.
Chamber your gun at the truck and put it on safe. If legal where you are hunting. Shit if its legal where you are hunting load your shotgun, chamber it and but it on safe before you even drive out into the field. Loudly racking a pump midmorning is loud, and realizing you didnt slam the bolt forward all the way on your auto with a Tom in the sights will frustrate you to no end.
Its a big learning experience. Turkey hunting is one of the most rewarding hunting you can do in my opinion, bird or not I appreciate the woods a little bit more every turkey season.

Not to mention the amount of "boredom coyotes" I've gotten turkey hunting is a fun bonus. Especially when you get a bit more advanced and decide to attempt calling, its incredibly easy for a turkey hunt to turn into an impromptu predator or varmint hunt.

Have fun! Any other questions feel free to ask! and let us know how goes the progress!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester Longbeard XR
turkey choke
box call
crystal or aluminum pot call

Some people like to set up and let them come to them.  I prefer to run & gun as my birds aren't very routine oriented.  They might come by the one good blind spot every three or four days.

It can be frustrating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top