Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2016 12:38:10 PM EDT
I am going to buy a nice shotgun for my retirement gift to myself.  
Looking at a 20 gauge SxS.  
Maybe a Spanish sidelock or an Italian boxlock (unless I find a screaming deal on a used British Best)
I have never shot with a straight stocked gun, but they do feel nice.

anybody here use them?

My skeet gun is a pistol grip as are the rest of my guns.  But it seems like the real test is which one you can carry comfortably for a long time at high ready.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several upland bird guns with english stocks. I like them. Im used to carrying and shooting them. I reall like the look.Dont know what else to tell you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
So let me get this straight.....

"I am going to buy a nice shotgun for my retirement gift to myself.
Looking at a 20 gauge SxS."

And you want to put a pistol grip on it
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Point taken. I have always shot with a prince of wales or pistol griped shotgun. Its what i am used to  class a skeet. Just not sure how hard to transition
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Point taken. I have always shot with a prince of wales or pistol griped shotgun. Its what i am used to  class a skeet. Just not sure how hard to transition
View Quote

The difference between a Prince of Wales and a straight English is minimal. They make 100k custom H&H's with a semi pistol grip like a PoW...
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The straight stock is designed for the guns with two triggers, to enable you to slide your hand back to pull the second(rear) trigger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The straight stock is designed for the guns with two triggers, to enable you to slide your hand back to pull the second(rear) trigger.
View Quote

Not really.  the straight stock well pre-dates double triggers (it was much easier to make back in the day.)
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the look and feel of the straight stock, but somehow I always shoot better with a prince of wales grip. this is likely because i prefer single triggers, as mentioned previously, straight stock is almost a necessity with a double trigger gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you pass through memphis, take a look at the Beretta showroom.  You might add the Diana to your list.
View Quote

I love Italian guns.
But the Perazzi is the only company that makes a sXs worth the money.  For Diana money, I would buy a Grulla or AyA
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Just tagging to see what you end up with.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Bought this from Buds.
600 dollars.  
20 gauge.

They can have some issues, but CZ seems to always make it right, so I am rolling the dice.  If I don't like the straight stock, I can always sell for a minor loss of money and get a prince of wales or pistol grip.  Never used a double trigger or straight grip before.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Took the gun out.

Hit about 20/25 in a round of skeet.  A little slower with the double trigger hitting pairs.  To be expected.  Heavier than expected at exactly 6 pounds 8 ounces.  compared to a semi-20 gauge with synthetic stock at 6 pounds 2 ounces.

Triggers are heavy, but not noticeably when shooting clays.  Shotgun triggers don't need to be great.  As with other bobwhites, triggers hit deep.  Almost puncturing the soft walmart winchester cheapo primers (other rounds did better).

Balance is 3/8" forward of the hinge.  So pretty good.  26" barrels would probably be a better fit for upland game.
Comes with 5 chokes and a cheap, but useful, case.  

Patterned 60% above POA as desired in an upland game gun.  both barrels regulated properly.

Case hardening is OK, laser engraved.  Wood actually quite nice for the gun (it is turkish, after all.)  Barrels look nice but literally the finish comes off on a white cloth.  Not sure how well it will hold up (not that I care).

Rough machining when you do a basic disassembly.  Its NIB but a few years old.  No rust or corrosion, but just old dirt down in the hinge mechanism.  Put a little AGL go juice in there.

Stiff action.  With some lube and working with it, its still stiff, but smooth.

Cheap recoil pad.  I will probably replace it. It recoils fairly stiff.  I can imagine with 3" rounds (which its chambered for) it will hurt.  

I like it and glad I bought it.  It will be my primary upland gun for now.  If I get a lot of confidence in my shooting I will probably try the 28 gauge and probably another bobwhite (unless I am rich)
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I just found this thread.

I have a BPS bird gun with a english stock and love it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just found this thread.

I have a BPS bird gun with a english stock and love it.
View Quote
Here's my Browning Superlight 12 gauge
I don't shoot it any better or worse than anything else.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cz-usa-bobwhite.png

Bought this from Buds.
600 dollars.  
20 gauge.

They can have some issues, but CZ seems to always make it right, so I am rolling the dice.  If I don't like the straight stock, I can always sell for a minor loss of money and get a prince of wales or pistol grip.  Never used a double trigger or straight grip before.
View Quote
I have a Bobwhite, and  wear a 16 1/2 x 36 shirt
I've found that one of these, from Galco, let's me stretch a hand out along the barrels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Took the gun out.

Hit about 20/25 in a round of skeet.  A little slower with the double trigger hitting pairs.  To be expected.  Heavier than expected at exactly 6 pounds 8 ounces.  compared to a semi-20 gauge with synthetic stock at 6 pounds 2 ounces.

Triggers are heavy, but not noticeably when shooting clays.  Shotgun triggers don't need to be great.  As with other bobwhites, triggers hit deep.  Almost puncturing the soft walmart winchester cheapo primers (other rounds did better).

Balance is 3/8" forward of the hinge.  So pretty good.  26" barrels would probably be a better fit for upland game.
Comes with 5 chokes and a cheap, but useful, case.  

Patterned 60% above POA as desired in an upland game gun.  both barrels regulated properly.

Case hardening is OK, laser engraved.  Wood actually quite nice for the gun (it is turkish, after all.)  Barrels look nice but literally the finish comes off on a white cloth.  Not sure how well it will hold up (not that I care).

Rough machining when you do a basic disassembly.  Its NIB but a few years old.  No rust or corrosion, but just old dirt down in the hinge mechanism.  Put a little AGL go juice in there.

Stiff action.  With some lube and working with it, its still stiff, but smooth.

Cheap recoil pad.  I will probably replace it. It recoils fairly stiff.  I can imagine with 3" rounds (which its chambered for) it will hurt.  

I like it and glad I bought it.  It will be my primary upland gun for now.  If I get a lot of confidence in my shooting I will probably try the 28 gauge and probably another bobwhite (unless I am rich)
View Quote
I had this gun in the 12, and CZ replaced t with a 28 when it started to slam fire after about 1500-2000 rounds. Make sure you always keep it pointed in a safe direction when you are closing the action!

That may be the reason the two-trigger/straight grip Bobwhite was discontinued by CZ. I still think you have an excellent shotgun; the 12 gauge Bobwhite was too big for an upland gun but too light for serious waterfowl or long target sessions. The gun shines in the sub gauges though. I love shooting my 28 and carry it without hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had this gun in the 12, and CZ replaced t with a 28 when it started to slam fire after about 1500-2000 rounds. Make sure you always keep it pointed in a safe direction when you are closing the action!

That may be the reason the two-trigger/straight grip Bobwhite was discontinued by CZ. I still think you have an excellent shotgun; the 12 gauge Bobwhite was too big for an upland gun but too light for serious waterfowl or long target sessions. The gun shines in the sub gauges though. I love shooting my 28 and carry it without hesitation.
View Quote
I was very interested in the 28, but it was just a little too much money for me for the ammo.  I can use this 20 for damn near anything with 3 inch shells.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Semi-pistol grip, as seen on a Mini-14 or 870, not a freestanding AR-style grip
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Semi-pistol grip, as seen on a Mini-14 or 870, not a freestanding AR-style grip
View Quote
I assumed people would understand without having to state "Prince of Wales" but here we are.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here's my Browning Superlight 12 gauge
I don't shoot it any better or worse than anything else.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/128929/IMG-0421-191648.JPG
View Quote
I have the same in a 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the CZ 20g I have. No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Since it's nearly bird season by me (and I just happen to find this thread), here's my take.
I might be wrong but I believe the straight (English) stocked shotguns were originally configured for the English "driven" hunts where the shooters are posted at stationary points and the beaters (the go be poor somewhere else hammerheads) act like human Springer Spaniels (I have one) and kick up the birds (usually stocked) for the shooters. Being the posted shooters stand there with their guns pointed straight up, I believe the straight stock was more ergonomic/comfortable for that type of shooting. I myself use a 1935-39 (unsure what exact year) Fox Sterlingworth with the pistol grip to miss Ruffed Grouse with as I find it more comfortable. I do like the looks of the English stocks but the arthritis in my wrists say otherwise. So, there's my take on it. It might be all bullshit, who knows..
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since it's nearly bird season by me (and I just happen to find this thread), here's my take.
I might be wrong but I believe the straight (English) stocked shotguns were originally configured for the English "driven" hunts where the shooters are posted at stationary points and the beaters (the go be poor somewhere else hammerheads) act like human Springer Spaniels (I have one) and kick up the birds (usually stocked) for the shooters. Being the posted shooters stand there with their guns pointed straight up, I believe the straight stock was more ergonomic/comfortable for that type of shooting. I myself use a 1935-39 (unsure what exact year) Fox Sterlingworth with the pistol grip to miss Ruffed Grouse with as I find it more comfortable. I do like the looks of the English stocks but the arthritis in my wrists say otherwise. So, there's my take on it. It might be all bullshit, who knows..
View Quote
16gauge is best gaugeAttachment Attached File

As to the op how's the gun doing now?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

16gauge is best gaugehttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/140012/image-327894.JPG

As to the op how's the gun doing now?
View Quote
shooting fine.

like most CZ Huglu's punches primers deep.  I don't reload so not an issue.
Put on an aftermarket recoil pad and sling swivels.  Shoots fine.  low 20s on the skeet range.  Shot a few quail in training.

Heavier than I wanted but its fine for what I need.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I may be weird here, but I find English stocked guns to be much more comfortable to carry for extended periods.  English game guns also tend to be wickedly light, almost to the point that a 12 weighs almost less than my boxlock 20.  English stock and double triggers all the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I've used both.  My personal preference is non-English, seems to give me a bit better control on close-flushing birds.  But I wouldn't turn down a straight-stocked scattergun, either.

The more "traditional" upland high-falutin' shotgun will have a straight stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top