Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2016 1:04:20 PM EDT
I just recently went hunting in the OBX and I shot a few bufflehead drakes and hens and was thinking about mounting them together as a pair. I was wondering what other people think is a good hen and drake combo mount. I'm still on the fence about mounting the hen along with the drake.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Wood ducks would be my first drake/hen mount, either with the drake alert and the hen resting on driftwood, or a wood duck box with the drake perched on top and the hen poking her head out of the box.
Canvasbacks would be second, mainly because I rarely shoot divers.  When the divers are coming through SD, we are usually already chasing mallards in the fields.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wood ducks would be my first drake/hen mount, either with the drake alert and the hen resting on driftwood, or a wood duck box with the drake perched on top and the hen poking her head out of the box.
Canvasbacks would be second, mainly because I rarely shoot divers.  When the divers are coming through SD, we are usually already chasing mallards in the fields.
View Quote

Agreed on the wood ducks. I have a beautiful drake on the wall.  I took the hen and Drake with a single shot, and my Brittany picked up both on a blind retrieve as his first double. I am still kicking myself for not getting both mounted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed on the wood ducks. I have a beautiful drake on the wall.  I took the hen and Drake with a single shot, and my Brittany picked up both on a blind retrieve as his first double. I am still kicking myself for not getting both mounted.
View Quote
Just saw this thread-a bit old, but I have a trio of buffleheads mounted in flight as a small flock mount(one drake and 2 hens). Shot one hen several years before the others, really wanted a bufflehead on the wall so she got mounted in a way that she could be transferred later. Also have a pair of wood ducks, but again shot years apart. Got a nice drake hunting my inlaws' farm and it took 3 seasons of targeting "brown" ducks to get a hen worth mounting. They are on separate pieces of driftwood, mounted in the same position but exactly opposite. Each has one foot pulled up into feathers and head turned.

ETA-our spring snow goose season is on right now, and temptation was hell this morning. The pond was absolutely carpeted with canvasbacks. Thankfully the snows were in an area separate from the ducks and I was able to get 3 without risk of accidental kills.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Wood ducks or maybe red heads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top