Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2016 12:38:37 PM EDT
I have between 20-30 bobwhites hanging around my house, I think they are escapees from a
neighboring farm. Will they survive the winter? Or...
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Bobwhite, it's what's for dinner(or snack).
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Kind of depends on the winter. Bobwhites have not done real well historically in the great lake states due to the cold.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have cats and / or coyotes around, or even hawks?  If the cold doesn't get them, the predators might unless you have some thick cover for them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd bet that predators will get them long before the cold does. I think it's time to bust out your pellet gun and have some Quail for dinner.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
41Chevy

By escapees do you mean the neighboring farm raises pen-reared bobwhites?  If so, I would highly doubt these are escapees, artificially reared bobwhites have no natural reactions to predators, and all published scientific literature documents ~0% survival rates for these types of birds.

If this is one covey, these are probably wild birds holding on.  Northern bobwhites, where you are, are heavily dependent on woody cover for sanctuary from winter weather and predators during the cold months.

As someone noted on this thread, predators are important factors in bobwhite population dynamics-- However, their propensity for robust reproductive efforts typically makes up for high predation pressure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top