Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
split season jus ended the 15th and will re-open 24th. i jus ran across 6-8 on my property. wouldnt mind getting, they stay on top of the hill (steep) so id be shooting uphill at them.

what to use ? i have old skool single 20 gauge, 870 w/18" barrel, ar 15.223, various  .22lr, .243, 30-06, muzzle loader.

where to shoot turkey ?

do u gut them ?

sure i gotta pluck them too. lol

<----noobie turkey hunter..
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
870. Turkey loads. Full choke.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
split season jus ended the 15th and will re-open 24th. i jus ran across 6-8 on my property. wouldnt mind getting, they stay on top of the hill (steep) so id be shooting uphill at them.

what to use ? i have old skool single 20 gauge, 870 w/18" barrel, ar 15.223, various  .22lr, .243, 30-06, muzzle loader.

where to shoot turkey ?

do u gut them ?

sure i gotta pluck them too. lol

<----noobie turkey hunter..
View Quote

Use your 870 with 4 to 6 shot (whatever patterns best at 30 yards)
Shoot 'em in the head.
No, cut through the skin along the sternum, and peel back the skin. Filet the breasts of the rib cage and your done. That's the best part.
If you skin out the breasts, you don't have to pluck them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
picked up a Stevens model 320 "turkey" gun from local shop, already has turkey choke, picked up some hornady 3" turkey loads

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The easiest way to hunt them is to find where they roost.  Get up some morning just as it is getting light there and listen for them.  Turkeys follow a pretty predicable routine in the morning after they drop down from their roosting trees.  (Usually the biggest evergreens around, but by me they like the large Oaks and Beech)  

Anyway, set up where they start feeding after they drop down and you'll be back to the house before the coffee cools.  

Remington makes a 20" factory smooth bore barrel that takes chokes and has rifle sights.  That is what I use on my little 870 20 ga light weight.  Carlson's extra full extended choke and Winchester 3" #4's.  Good enough out to about 35 yards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
havent really been able to "hunt" hunt turkeys....I seen some but was 100yrds away, and no chance to go back and get rifle. Ill be more active later on or next year. Was able to get a meat deer, so thats something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top