Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2016 11:17:06 AM EDT
I'm new to the sport and have just ordered a shot gun.  

An acquaintance from church, who has hunted for years, was talking about adding a red dot to his shot gun.

Is this useful?  If so what kind of red dot would be used?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I did it when I converted my Remington 1100 to a makeshift slug gun.  Purchased a
rail mount that attached to the receiver and put a low profile Primary Arms red dot
on it.  It worked OK for slugs out to maybe 75 yards.  I don't see why it wouldn't work
as well or better for centering the shot pattern on a turkey load.

Mount

Primary Arms micro dot

Don't really know how long it would hold up, but I shot 20 or so HV slugs while sighting in
and testing loads for accuracy.  Never had any issues to indicate it wouldn't work.

Burris makes a system that mounts between the stock and the receiver.  It's quite a bit
more expensive, but I can't imagine Burris putting their name on something that doesn't
work 100%

Burris Speedbead
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It works really well for turkey, especially if you have a real tight choke and pattern.

Should be good to 60-75 that way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Certainly will work. Many run optics on their turkey guns - myself included. Really sucks when even Firesights blur out on you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,

will any old red-dot work?  

A Bushnell TRS-25?

A Sightmark Ultra-short Plus?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Any quality red dot should work. Some of the cheapos may or may not stand the recoil of a turkey load.

Also, with any of the higher profile sights, you may have to get a cheek riser.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagging for recommendations. Right now I'm planning on a TRS-25 on an Aimtech mount on my moss berg 500.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
DeltaPoint on my 870

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top