Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2016 12:09:18 AM EDT
Started planting my dove fields today, put in half of my sunflowers. Ill do the other half in a couple of weeks. Anybody know much about Japanese millet? Somebody gave me a bag of seed and I have searched the internet but cant get reliable information about it. Some say 45 days to maturity, others say 75-90 days. I'm trying to figure out when to put it in.

Come on September!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no expert, but any time I hear people talking about Japanese millet it is for ducks not dove.  I think the Japanese variety is more tolerant of wet conditions, so might not be a good fit for a dove field.

ETA:  So this link from the USDA does mention it as a food source for dove - http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_eces.pdf.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
This past Sunday, we sprayed an area we plan on using to plant millet... it looks to be a great area... as things progress, I will update...

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Updates.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Updates.
View Quote

Spray did fantastic... seed was put in the ground last Thursday and we have had a few rain spells since. Only thing I'm concerned with is the ground... it's all sand and won't hold moisture like a good dirt/clay mix would... time will tell.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a little bit of wheat in our dove field...
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Spray did fantastic... seed was put in the ground last Thursday and we have had a few rain spells since. Only thing I'm concerned with is the ground... it's all sand and won't hold moisture like a good dirt/clay mix would... time will tell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Updates.

We've got pig weed so bad I'm not planting this year and maybe not the next.  Just trying to it keep down and not produce any new seeds.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My sunflowers got hammered by deer while I was gone to South Dakota, about half of them are gone. The Jap millet came up nicely but is getting hammered by rabbits or deer as well. The stuff that has survived is about three feet tall with lots of seed maturing on top. Somebody told me deer wouldn't touch Jap millet, what about cottontails? There are tons of them where I dove hunt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My sunflowers got hammered by deer while I was gone to South Dakota, about half of them are gone. The Jap millet came up nicely but is getting hammered by rabbits or deer as well. The stuff that has survived is about three feet tall with lots of seed maturing on top. Somebody told me deer wouldn't touch Jap millet, what about cottontails? There are tons of them where I dove hunt.
View Quote

Never had an issue with deer and millet.  It does attract a lot of small birds though, my section that grew up from last year has hundreds of small birds using it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Moot point now it's all gone, the millet. Did see a ton of doves so I'm getting pumped.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Bush hogged the field last week and burned it off Saturday.  Lots of dove in the area, so as long as we don't have to compete with farmers cutting milo or rice we should be in good shape come Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bush hogged the field last week and burned it off Saturday.  Lots of dove in the area, so as long as we don't have to compete with farmers cutting milo or rice we should be in good shape come Saturday morning.
View Quote

Bunch of doves at my food plot yesterday. I'll be hitting them on Thursday.

Good luck to everyone else in their quest for doves.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Millet is gtg. I'll be hunting Friday should the rains hold off. Looks like it could be a good year with all of the birds I've seen lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top