Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
I grew up in S Texas years ago shooting doves but no pheasants were to be had. A friend wants us to start pheasant hunting and says you need a 12 ga semi auto like a Benelli Super black eagle. I have two Citori 20 ga, 26 and 28" barrels. Since I shoot lefty, I prefer to get a double barrel if my 20s are too light.

So, what say you, 12 vs 20, semi or double, and length of barrels!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Upland Bird Hunting requires a suitable upland bird gun, which can only be an O/U or SxS.

Any good shotgun that you shoot well will be fine for or pheasants.  The family business revolved around upland hunting and we have a lot of guns that have been passed down through the generations including some very nice O/U and SxS, however Grandpa started me out with one of his old Browning A5's in 20 gauge. I used it for quail and pheasants until my early 20's before picking up one of his Browning Superposed's.  It's still my go-to upland gun.

ETA:  We hunt the TX Panhandle and are hearing that the pheasant numbers are returning, so this year will be the first time back in 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for letting me know an O/U 20 can do the job.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on if they or pen raised or wild birds. Wild I like 4 shot 12 for the penetration and knock down, I find I get less runners. Pen birds 6 shot because they are slower and easier to shoot. I like a mod or improved mod choke and try to lead them so as to not hit the center mass if possible.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I hunt pheasant in North Missouri.  They are tough birds.  I've used a 20, but I got a lot of runners, so I now use a 12ga/26" O/U with Improved/Modified.  A lot of birds get up wild and or run before getting up, so the extra guts of the 12 help on the longer shots.

My preferred load is Remington Nitro Pheasant 6 (1 3/8oz), but I carry high brass 7.5s all the time, as we jump a lot of pheasant while hunting quail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Rem 870 Wingmaster 12 ga, but I have n 1100 20ga Lt. It was way too easy to continue pulling the trigger even though the bird was out of range. 20 ga it f's more than adequate but you might want a tighter choke.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I started with a .410 break action. Works fine as long as the bird is close. All that moving up to 20 and finally 12 did was give me greater range. .410 was full choke, mostly use imp. modified on 20 and 12. 2 3/4" #5 shot 1 3/8 oz is my load of choice in the 12. If I must use steel I go to #4.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are a good shot with your 20s you will do fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
20 ga. SXS is made to order pheasant medicine.

# 6 shot early season birds

#5 late season birds.

Look for nickel plated shot.  The nickel isn't for hardness or keeping shot round when it goes through the choke.  It's a bit more slippery than lead shot and it won't pull quite as much feather into the wound channel.   Which is nice come dinner time and your spouse isn't picking feathers out of her pheasant dinner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on if they or pen raised or wild birds. Wild I like 4 shot 12 for the penetration and knock down, I find I get less runners. Pen birds 6 shot because they are slower and easier to shoot. I like a mod or improved mod choke and try to lead them so as to not hit the center mass if possible.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
20 ga. SXS is made to order pheasant medicine.

# 6 shot early season birds

#5 late season birds.

Look for nickel plated shot.  The nickel isn't for hardness or keeping shot round when it goes through the choke.  It's a bit more slippery than lead shot and it won't pull quite as much feather into the wound channel.   Which is nice come dinner time and your spouse isn't picking feathers out of her pheasant dinner.
View Quote

I can see my wife now picking feathers out of a bite! Never thought of NP for that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot a lot of pheasants when I lived in Kansas. My favorite gun and load was a 26 inch IC/Mod Browning BSS 12 ga with 1 1/4 oz of #5 shot. Your 20 gauge Citori will be fine.  If you're worried about it, get some premium magnum ammo, preferably with plated #5 shot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Its really all a matter of preference.

I use 3 guns. 12 ga 11-87 supermag, 12 ga Versa Max and a 20 ga 870.

Mostly I use the 12 ga guns.

For shot I start off with #6 lead and switch to #5's mid season. Now in the late season birds are flushing 40-60 yards a head of the dog. So I am using 1 3/8 oz #4s with a Carlson choke tube. Most the time I use modified till late season.

I hunt with a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon so I get close shots early in the year.

Hope this helps. If you shoot a gun regularly and are good with it, use that one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I run a 20ga A400 and shoot 4's mostly, no issues.  Pen and wild.  Our pen raised (with the exception of some random duds) fly like wild birds
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shooting over a pointing dog, clean shots are very doable with 7.5 shot on pen raised birds. I prefer a tight (Euro) IC or light modified choke, but on even a cylinder will usually work . I used my #5 high brass loads once and they are really devastating, especially with a tight choke.

For wild birds I carry #5 Herter's Pheasant loads, usually in an over under full over mod (except in certain hunting areas where a cylinder or IC would be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shooting over a pointing dog, clean shots are very doable with 7.5 shot on pen raised birds. I prefer a tight (Euro) IC or light modified choke, but on even a cylinder will usually work . I used my #5 high brass loads once and they are really devastating, especially with a tight choke.

For wild birds I carry #5 Herter's Pheasant loads, usually in an over under full over mod (except in certain hunting areas where a cylinder or IC would be more appropriate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 or 20?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I used a 12GA with 5's way back when; I would not be afraid to use a 20 with the same.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I used my Mossberg 590A1 and swapped out the barrel for a 22" 835 one.
Even left the Surefire foreend in place.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
My boy uses a 20. Works just fine and lighter to carry than a 12
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not bragging, and believe me I'm not any kind of special with a shotgun, but I have successfully hunted Pheasants with a .410  Now keep in mind they were pen-raised and released birds, but still...
Only difference between any gauge is the amount of the shot in the load; size is the same, and velocity (Dram Equ.) being the same.  
.410 1/2 oz #8 1,200fps
.12ga. 1-1/8oz #8 1,200fps.
20 ga. 7/8 oz #8 1,200fps
Magnum, and heavier or lighter loads will have higher or lower velocitys depending on the loading; ie "magnum" will run ~1450fps and "low recoil" ~850fps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

12 or 20?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 or 20?

Usually 12.

With a 20, I might be more apt to go with a 6 shot load (since budget 6 shot loads are very available), but I wouldn't have a problem with 7.5 over pointing dogs on pen raised birds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
There is almost no difference between 12 & 20 when it comes to shot pattern when chokes are equal.  12 ga at best gives you a marginal boost in FPS and a slightly denser load.  There are very few people that are good enough shots that will enjoy any real advantage using a 12 ga over a 20 ga.  The only exception being steel shot.  Late season wetland production areas that require nontox/steel shot, I'd rather have a 12 ga for those 60 yard birds.

General rule is that if you are missing with a 20 ga you would have missed with a 12 ga.  What I like about 20 ga is that most 20 ga's handle so much better than 12's.  Especially O/U's and SXS's.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Love my 20s but since I don't have a 12 for hunting, I'm going to get one. I'm a short guy and found the Citori Micro Midas fits me like a glove. It has a 13" lop and felt perfect when I mounted it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I have plenty of success with my Benelli M2 in 20 ga for ringnecks.

2-3/4 or 3" shells, 1+ oz of No 5 or 6.

If you can wingshoot you can kill pheasant with a 20.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Totally agree. I did get a 12 ga though, just cause I didn't own a double in that cal.  Can't have too many toys.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Totally agree. I did get a 12 ga though, just cause I didn't own a double in that cal.  Can't have too many toys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preachin' to the choir.  I've got 7 shotguns now.

11-87
870 in 12 and 20, and another one in 20.
Cheapo Mossberg 9-something
M2 in 12 and 20
Used to have a few O/U but sold/traded them to feed my semi habit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I always used #5 shot when hunting ditch parrots. 12 gauge 1 1/4 oz loads to be precise.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#27]
We always used Ithaca M37's in 12 ga.

Dad started out loading #6 shot but years later moved to 7&1/2 for the denser pattern.  He even dropped from the 1.5 oz. loads down to around 1&1/8 oz. loads.

Lots' of walking behind the dogs and the lighter guns (M37 pump is pretty light) are welcome after a few hours of stepping over the corn stalks.

I don't really remember the dogs chasing many wounded birds.  I do remember the darned things running along in front of the pointer and driving him nuts.  For that reason dad started taking our springer spaniel along, too, even though he started out hunting one dog one day and the other dog the next day.  With the springer they either get up in the air or get grabbed on the ground (never did grab a ring neck on the ground but I saw here grab ruffed grouse and bring them to me.)

Good memories.  I'd forgotten about the ring necks cackling (sometimes) when the dog jumped them up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#28]
At my age, a lighter gun makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Benelli or nothing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#30]
They're nice guns, but you don't NEED a Benelli 12ga Semi-Auto for pheasant/upland bird hunting. Many birds have been killed for years with cheaper setups. My upland setup is a no-frills Remington 870 12ga loaded with Federal Prairie Storm. Busts roosters no problem. A lighter setup like a 20ga (coach, side-by-side, pump or auto doesn't matter) is really all you need.

" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top