Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2016 4:38:29 PM EDT
I was hoping I could get some suggestions from you guys about waterproof hunting gloves.  I shoot the central valley of California and the weather has been pretty mild for the last few years.  With El Nino this year we are getting slammed and I'm realizing that I need a specific pair of gloves that are waterprrof, yet easy to shoot with.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It is almost futile to keep dry hands while duck hunting. My suggestion get some camo neoprene gloves. They too will get damp, but the trick is to leave them on as best possible. Take em off too long and they'll freeze.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Neoprene is the answer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Neoprene gloves and pocket warmers in your jacket pockets.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for responding guys.  I was hoping there was something besides neoprene, but it looks like I'll have to give that a shot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
This is pretty low tech, but it works for me...

I use trapping gloves like these insulated gauntlets for setting and picking up.  In between I just switch to regular bulk quantity generic brown jersey gloves, which work fine for keeping the bite off while still being able to pull a trigger.  I normally carry anywhere from three to five extra sets with me in my pockets, in the boat, or in my bag so that I can just change them out as they get wet. I keep one final pair in the truck so that I can have warm, dry hands for the drive home too.

On really, really cold days I will put the jerseys under a pair of glomitts, which aren't waterproof either but normally have enough repellant/mass in them to keep me dry enough until pick up.  

I could never get neoprenes to last long and even though they weren't super uncomfortable when they got wet, they still weren't as comfortable as a switched in pair of dry jerseys.

Yes, each time I come home from duck hunting I have to put wet waders on the dryer and several sets of wet gloves in the laundry. It just becomes part of the clean up afterwards regimen.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up some of these to try, but don't have any feedback on them yet.  Price was low enough to roll the dice though...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EM9OAJW
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just picked up some of these to try, but don't have any feedback on them yet.  Price was low enough to roll the dice though...
View Quote

My wife got me a pair of those for Christmas,
They worked very well during the post Christmas split

Serius makes some very nice gloves, and more times than not they are actually waterproof

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a pair of Gore Tex/thinsulate gloves I've been using for over 25 years.  They are well worn, but still keep my hands dry and warm.   I'm pretty sure they came from Gander Mountain.

They are a little fat, so I take them off to shoot deer, but I've worn them while shooting piles of hogs, coyotes, quail, pheasant, ducks and geese.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Serius makes some very nice gloves, and more times than not they are actually waterproof

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear - getting geared up and hopefully hammering them again this weekend for the last weekend of duck season.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I used a pair of seal skinz that worked quite well. Came in wetland camo and kept my hands fairly warm and dry unless the weather got really cold. I found the gloves worked well enough shooting and reloading the gun .
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got some old neoprene Remington branded gloves I bought 25 years ago that still work pretty well.  I've found that hand warmers, and a known good set of dry gloves are a good thing when the hunt is over and its time to pick up decoys.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm way late to the party on this one but I use Cabelas Deluxe II Shooting Gloves with GoreTex.  If you're still needing a pair next year I'd recommend them.  They got me through the NorCal El Nino season just fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear a pair of decoy gloves for setting and picking up,

For hunting I wear Under Armour Hurlock gloves. They are thin and water resistant. For real cold temps I wear a waist muff with an electric hard warmer in it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I use neoprene gauntlet gloves. But, I consider them to be disposable. The palm seams tear out halfway through the season. I buy 2-3 pair before each season. I have worn them in Alaska when it was so cold they froze to the kayak paddle, my fingers never got cold.

They are the best, but don't expect to get too much use out of a pair.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used a pair of seal skinz that worked quite well. Came in wetland camo and kept my hands fairly warm and dry unless the weather got really cold. I found the gloves worked well enough shooting and reloading the gun .
View Quote

I bought my Seal Skinz for warm weather motorcycle riding. I was tired of my hands sweating using cheaper waterproof gloves. Since these are a woven design they breathe a little.

http://www.sealskinz.com/US/gloves
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I am always on the hunt for some good gloves and the last 18 years of my waterfowling life have has me try quite a few!

I really like the idea of the neoprene gloves but for me, my hands sweat really, really bad in these then my little fingers get super cold.

I have found the fleece-lined PVC decoys gloves are epic for traveling to and from the blind as well as setting up decoys but they are worthless for shooting.  So I switched to a fingerless glove for shooting and use a lot of handwarmers in my wader pocket or jacket pocket to keep the tips warm.

I have some buddies that use the Under Armor ones and seem to like them but for me, I like the feel of my trigger finger on the trigger.  And having my bare fingers on the gun have allowed me to get a better feel of the gun while shouldering and firing.

Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Here in the lonestar state we generally get to hunt ducks in shorts and flip flops, but late season duck hunting is pretty nasty. I picked up a pair of drake goretex gloves that are relatively thin but absolutely water proof. I have not regreted the purchase, the price tag is a little high at 70 bucks, but I have ran through the cheap neoprene's and they all leaked at the seams, these were solid and trigger friendly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]
best gloves I've ever found were some Simms neoprene wading gloves. Fantastic dexterity and kept my hands bone dry.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I've tried a few different brands of waterproof gloves. I know one of them was from gander mountain, but I never see to find a pair that either holds up to leaks or keeps my hands warm enough. Therefore instead of looking for waterproof gloves I purchased a set of Duck Hunting Shooting Gloves that wear actually easy to get in and out of. Plus they allow me to still get my fingers in the trigger guard. I always seemed to not like how stiff waterproof gloves are.

I ended up finding a great article on what are the top rated duck hunting shooting gloves and purchased a set of sitka gloves to keep my hands warm, but give me the room to still take shots.

Shooting Gloves: https://thewaterfowlhunter.com/best-duck-hunting-shooting-gloves/
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I have elbow length neoprene gloves for decoy fiddling. I shoot like hell with gloves on so I have a quarterback looking hand warmer pocket thing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a pair of green SealSkinz that I got on amazon for like 30$, warm and waterproof
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top