Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2015 8:56:52 PM EDT
Hey fellas. Just started duck hunting this year.  The few times I've gone, there have already been people out on the lake.  Mind you it's like 5am completly dark.  What's the etiquette with hunting public lakes?  When we motor out to where we wanna hunt I been flashing the shore lines, quick taps with the flashlight hoping for the other hunters to flash back so we avoid their spot.  Any other technique or etiquette I may be missing?

Also, I can't seem to find a full choke for my Beretta Optima.  I'm using a modified with 12 ga 3" shells no4 or no6 shot.  What's my max range you think?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't expect much etiquette from public hunting.

Most people put out a lantern or glow stick when they are in a blind before light.  Don't expect that from stopping anyone from setting up next, across, in, etc... your setup.

I've had many a decoy meet a demise by people who have shot ducks from our spread that setup directly across from us.

Welcome to public hunting  If you didn't catch a pellet it's been a good day in some areas.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL. I was surprised with how many people took to the water so early for ducks.  Public land hunters are of a different breed I guess.  Found a couple real low key public spots but they require a long sweaty walk in. So far I'm just happy to be getting out there. Way more action than deer hunting
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you hunting?
The light thing is pretty universal, but some places do different stuff

My families been hunting the same stretch of water in Michigan for 5 generations now, and it's getting to the point where we head out at 2-4 so we can actually get into a spot, and get our rig set up

And we still get assholes trying to push us out, who the fuck shows up 20 minutes before legal shooting to start setting up?
That's when the early ducks are splashing down into your spread
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You show up at 5?

Shit we show up at like 0345 to 0400 for public land to get a spot, setup the blind, set up the spread, etc.

Wake up earlier.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You show up at 5?

Shit we show up at like 0345 to 0400 for public land to get a spot, setup the blind, set up the spread, etc.

Wake up earlier.
View Quote

This and as the poster above said - "Dont expect much in the way of etiquette on public land."
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Using steel shot, I'd say your max in that configuration is about 30 yards for clean, ethical kills.  I use #2 for puddle ducks, #3 for divers.  If it is early teal season, I use #4 or #5.  #6 is lighter than I would feel comfortable using on ducks.  With #2's in 3" out of my Benelli, I feel good out to about 45 yards or so.  I do my best not to attempt shots outside of 50 yards, unless I have a good degree of certainty I'll make a kill.  (ie. very little wind, usually head on shots, little leading the duck type shots)

If you're using a lead substitute shot, you can probably stretch those distances about 10-15 yards.

I hunt public land, but the pool of duckhunters in my AO is pretty small, so I don't have many issues with others encroaching on my spot.  As others have said however, you want to be completely setup about 20-30 minutes before legal shooting time (or sooner depending on setup spot pressure from other hunters).  I've grew up hunting the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and have duck hunted in SW Montana lakes and rivers, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alberta.  The one thing all of these have in common?  80% of the activity was between legal shooting light and about 0800.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Full choke tubes show to be in stock at Optics Planet, and you can usually find 10% off coupons floating around:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/beretta-beretta-optima-high-performance-choke-tubes.html
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks fellas. Heading out again this weekend and gonna make sure I get out there much earlier.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I would not use a full choke with steel shot. It's harder and will pattern tighter than the choke says.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks fellas. Heading out again this weekend and gonna make sure I get out there much earlier.
View Quote

You need to pattern your gun and find a shell that works well with your mod choke. Patterning a shotgun seems to always be overlooked even by serious waterfowlers. The truth is even some high dollar chokes can and will produce a shitty pattern even with great shells.
I usually buy about 3-4 different boxes of steel loads I can find locally at a good price with the shot size and velocity I want and pattern them then pick the best one and stock up.
I don't know where you are but I usually use 4 and 5s for early teal and woodies sometimes 2 in our early full season. I always use 2s when it gets cold and the birds have toughened up.

I usually shoot either a light mod or mod choke. I do have an improved mod I have used a couple times in real late season.
As for lights I usually hit other hunters real quick to let them know I am there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
The light flashing is pretty much universal.  But, it doesn't mean some jerkoff will set up a couple of hundred yards  from you and shoot your swing birds.  Welcome to public hunting.  

Not sure of your location,  but before when I lived in Arkansas,  all the decent public duck hunting grounds was a madhouse.  With that being said,  if you adapt and overcome,  one can have some great success.  Try staying away from the more popular holes,  and find some places more away from the beaten path.  Most lazy folks ain't gonna put in too much work, like scouting,   taking a boat as far as it allows and walking in an extra half mile to find where ducks  are getting away from the crowds.

Also,  your calling techniques can be crucial when hunting public.  You really got to watch and "read" the birds.  You don't necessarily have to be a better caller than the next guys, but get a feel for what the birds want. Some days they respond better to a more loud aggressive calling. Some days they respond to softer, finesse style like maybe a few quacks or a little feed call.

As far as chokes/ loads,  pattern your gun.  Experiment with different choke load combinations.  If your shooting at bigger ducks like mallards,  #6  are too small IMO.  Personally,  my 870 likes #3 with a kicks high flyer modified.   Take in mind though I'm decoying birds in timber,  aND most shot are 30 yds or less.    I've never had much luck with steel and full chokes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll spend next spring working on chokes and loads. We have to use steel shot here in MI.  Right now I've got the beretta oem mod. choke and shooting 3" #2's.  Haven't gotten a bird in close enough yet but having a lot of fun learning.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought you might be in mi, if you don't mind what part?
If your looking for some mentoring or just some pointers or have any questions about local hunting I might could hook you up.
If you don't want everyone to know shoot me a pm,

I went out in my boat by myself yesterday and  limited before lunch, a pair of redheads, a pair of mallards and a pair of ruddys, today it was me, my old man and my cousin, 6 redheads, some buffs, some ruddys, and a couple more mallards, off the lake by 1 again

If your on any of the local duck forums you've probably seen some of my family members post, they are fairly big into the decoy carving scene (4 generations at this point) ( my old man has provided decoys for several members on here to put in their local DU chapter auctions)

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in Oakland county but hunt Kalamazoo county with an old college friend.  He's been duck hunting a couple years now and has the boat. I went this weekend, didn't see very many people and only saw high flying geese.  Our spread consists of 12 mallard decoys and one goose.  Wishin we had more geese deeks out this weekend
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm in Oakland county but hunt Kalamazoo county with an old college friend.  He's been duck hunting a couple years now and has the boat. I went this weekend, didn't see very many people and only saw high flying geese.  Our spread consists of 12 mallard decoys and one goose.  Wishin we had more geese deeks out this weekend
View Quote

Royal oak here, mostly hunt lake st Clair, I've got a boat and my cousin has a bigger better boat,
Our spread varies from 30 to 500 decoys, (I think I only have 180 deeks in the garage ready to go right now) some mallards but mostly divers. I've got 30 (I think) goose deeks, and if you throw in the rest of the families were putting out somewhere over a hundred when it's goosing time

I limited Saturday and Sunday,
Between early and regular season I'm sitting around a dozen geese, ducks are much much higher

If your ever interested gimme a holler, I'm willing to give most folks at least one chance (some guys turn out to be less than stellar hunting partners) and between the two boats we've hunted up to 8 guys.

This weekend should be amazing now that the cold snap is driving the divers, it will be even better if we get some crappy weather mid week to break up the rafts of birds, and even than with the numbers we're seeing that's likely anyway as they are eating all the browse in the spots they like to sleep.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I like going to the city park with a loaf of bread and a tennis racket. Quick and easy. You can usually  limit out pretty quick and no chance of falling into freezing water. I like to bring a lookout as well because you really arent supposed to bait ducks. DO NOT tey this on geese though because a tennis rackets string just isnt strong enough. You will just piss them off and they will attack you. I hwve thought about stringing up a tennis racket with bailing wire but I dont enjoy eating goose enough to mess with it. Its almost as much fun as coon hunting at the golf course.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like going to the city park with a loaf of bread and a tennis racket. Quick and easy. You can usually  limit out pretty quick and no chance of falling into freezing water. I like to bring a lookout as well because you really arent supposed to bait ducks. DO NOT tey this on geese though because a tennis rackets string just isnt strong enough. You will just piss them off and they will attack you. I hwve thought about stringing up a tennis racket with bailing wire but I dont enjoy eating goose enough to mess with it. Its almost as much fun as coon hunting at the golf course.
View Quote

Goose requires at minimum a 9 iron, with a wood being the pro choice
It is key that you remember to follow through
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
For anyone who was following this thread at all,

We got buckshot out and into some ducks,
And I'm happy to report he rounded out the season with some birds in the boat.

so now he can scratch such exciting ducks as redheads ringnecks and ruddies off his list.

Also, he's a hell of a hunting partner, who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty or wet, jumping right in and pulling his weight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

so now he can scratch such exciting ducks as redheads ringnecks and ruddies off his list.

Also, he's a hell of a hunting partner, who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty or wet, jumping right in and pulling his weight.
View Quote

This is all good news.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice report and stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I envy you big body duck hunters here....so does Harry ;)

The woodies down here sure do taste good, you just have to have a good day to make a meal for more than one. The last chance for me is in the morning. I Finally got the wife to start enjoying it. Next year i hope to have alot more pics for the thread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats! Woodies are my absolute favorite to eat... I got a total of 0 ducks this year The properties we hunt just weren't very duck friendly this year, though we did do some damage to the Canadian goose population...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Heading out for geese in the AM!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top