Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2015 11:15:34 PM EDT
Open in the morning , hopefully have some good news for you fellas tomorrow evening. Hunting the Hays area.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm flying out Monday for a week in NE Kansas chasing ringnecks.  Annual trip with my best bird hunting bud.  We've been hitting the same farms for 18 years; private land.

ETA, Clay/Washington Counties.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it was a good hunt 16 birds total. Considering that the area has been in drought for about a decade it was a good haul. Took my son for the first time, he had a great time even if he only walked and couldn't shoot or carry a gun.
Seems like the bird population is up.
Years to come should be even better but good ground to hunt is getting harder to come by due to changing farming practice. No till don't leave much cover for the birds.
 I didn't even get to fire my shotgun this trip but it was a great success. Good fun and great folks to hunt with.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
They say there are lots of quail and pheasant this year where I hunt up in Northern Missouri.  We hunt every year between Christmas and New Years.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I miss bird hunting.

Only pheasants in western Colorado are pen raised and released for your hunt. I'll pass thank you very much.

Grew up in southwest Nebraska and spent every moment I could in the fields.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I miss bird hunting.

Only pheasants in western Colorado are pen raised and released for your hunt. I'll pass thank you very much.

Grew up in southwest Nebraska and spent every moment I could in the fields.
View Quote

Depending on where you live on the western slope, you're not too far from good...if not great bird hunting. UT has plenty of Chukar, and grouse (ruffs/blues). Colorado has quail, grouse (blues, mountain sharpies, sage), ptarmigan, and a few chukar too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot a grouse once, up on top of the Roan Cliffs outside Rifle.

Shot it in the neck with my .22 pistol. It hunkered down behind a log just watching me while it's blood was spraying out like a geyser. Never tried to run or anything. No sport in that. It was the last time I went bird hunting here. That was around 20 years ago.

Give me pheasant and quail please.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot a grouse once, up on top of the Roan Cliffs outside Rifle.

Shot it in the neck with my .22 pistol. It hunkered down behind a log just watching me while it's blood was spraying out like a geyser. Never tried to run or anything. No sport in that. It was the last time I went bird hunting here. That was around 20 years ago.

Give me pheasant and quail please.
View Quote

Interesting. If you hunt with a dog and shoot them on the wing blues are pretty sporting. Ground swatting birds, no matter the species isn't very "sporting".

Like seen here (not my vid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eYKrqU6iI
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Shame I missed this thread.  Would love to take my boys out hunting.  we struck out completely on dove (aside from the billions in my neighborhood shot with a pellet gun.

any decent public areas near KC?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top