Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2015 10:18:00 AM EDT
There's a chance that I may going to a pheasant hunt tomorrow where somebody dropped out at the last minute.  It's been a long time(since childhood) since I went pheasant hunting. Most of the hunting I do now is rifle based.  

I have two guns I can bring that would be most appropriate. One is a Remington Sportsman 58 20 gauge semi automatic shotgun with a modified barrel.   The other option is my Lanber 12 gauge O/U.  It has removable chokes but the only two chokes that came with it were a full choke and a modified choke. At this point, it's too late to try to obtain other chokes for it.  I believe this hunt will be on a commercial hunting preserve with released pheasants.

Any recommendations between those two options?  

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Your 20ga sounds perfect.  The full choke on the 12 would not be optimal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Pen raised birds...bring the 20.  

Unless you are hunting wetland production areas that require steel shot, 12 ga offers nothing over 20 ga when it comes to pheasants, even wild birds.

If you're are missing with a 20 ga, you will miss with a 12 ga.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a Rem 1100 20ga Lt on pheasants once. My advice? Bring lots of ammo. I was much more conservative with 12 ga 870 or O-U.
Take both!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Odd man out it seems I would bring the 12 shoot mod first then full it's warm for the season they might be a bit farther out.
Hopefully your hunt was a success . Opener up here is in the morning.

Eta pen raised?????
Whatever you like
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top