Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2015 11:35:36 PM EDT
Has anybody here hunted grouse in NC before?

My buddy and I are trying to organize our first grouse hunt and Pisgah Natl Forest in NC is the closest spot to us.

Also, if anyone wants to help sponsor our trip: https://www.gofundme.com/firstgrousehunt

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you guys seriously asking for money so you can go hunting?  If you are able bodied males begging for money so you can go hunting...that's weak.

I will give you some free advice.
NC grouse are tough.  NC is on the edge of where grouse live to begin with, not nearly as much logging going on, and forest fires are not allowed to burn.  You can find birds, but you will work for them.  Don't measure success by birds in the bag, measure it by flushes obtained.

You've had a good day in NC if you have 4 flushes for 8 solid hours of hunting.  I know guys who are tickled pink to bag one or two grouse a year in NC.  These are seasoned grouse hunters who slay grouse in the northern states.

Also, if you're not hunting cover that looks like this, you're wasting your time.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have your own dog, you will need a guide. Hire Craig Bowers and you will walk all day long and probably move some grouse.  Maybe you will get a shot or two.  Appalachian grouse is hard hunting and not so much like the New England game writers published so much about.

http://gardenandgun.com/blog/trail-ruffed-grouse-north-carolina

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top