Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2015 11:20:31 PM EDT
This fall I'm updating my decoys. What is the best value fully flocked decoy on the market today? Sept 1st is not that far away so lets get to it. thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, since nobody wants to give away the secret of the best reasonable decoy. We are down to 3, Dakota, Avian x f, and Hidgon.  comments?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Dakota.

And your right, this sub forums traffic blows.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a dozen Dakota XFD life size last year as part of my spread.  bought them off a guy who needed cash.  got them for $250 for the dozen with bags...absolute steal compared to MSRP for new ones.  Hunted them hard for a season, then sold them for $275 when the season was over.  They held up fine, and I like how dark they are.  just took up too much space as I don't have a trailer yet.

Currently I have 4 dozen of the old style GHG FFD lessers.  These are probably my favorite decoy that GHG has ever produced.  the right size, come with bags, just sucks that the heads weren't molded into the body at the time as the head connections are a weak spot.  the new Newbold GHG FFD lessers are a decent decoy for the money, but smaller.  they do not come with bags either.  

Honestly, if I was going to buy a brand new spread of full bodies, I wouldn't buy FFD's.  I'd get soft plastic painted dekes, GHG commercial grade, DOA, or the new Dakotas.  Higdon's are very durable, I have 2 dozen of their shells and they wear like tanks, but I have no experience with their full bodies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with not going FFD.  I picked up the new Sig Series Dakota Decoy Full bodies and they are pretty dang nice.  They come in 3 different packs so you can fill in your spread like you want.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Avian floaters. They have gone through three seasons of hard use and still have very littler wear. However, I will say that on their full body's, the bases used to be circular which really sucked as far as setting them up and staying up went.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the smaller lesser Canada decoys, even for the big greater Canada migratory birds we have on MD's Eastern Shore. More dekes for a given space, I think they fool the live birds into thinking they are further from the spread than they actually are, and if I'm wrong on that then they make no difference at all, but cost less.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
We got some of the final approach brand floaters on sale. I think they were somewhere around $60 for a half dozen.

We use silhouettes and big foots in the field.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We got some of the final approach brand floaters on sale. I think they were somewhere around $60 for a half dozen.

We use silhouettes and big foots in the field.
View Quote

Hopefully those FA's all float for you.  I bought 2 dozen of those "standards" last fall and had 8 that sunk the first two days out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Avian X, easily the best looking decoy out there. I've been throwing them in my trailer( no bags) for about 2 1/2 seasons with minimal wear in the flocking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
We used the floaters apx 6 hunts and they floated fine. We bought the first six from amazon august 2014 and then another 12 or so fall 2014 from Cabelas that were on sale. They have worked great so far.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
After much investigation and trips to Bass pro and Cabelas, Looked at all kinds of decoys with all the pros and cons. The decoy that looks the best for the money in my opinion was the Avian X fully flocked. We have used them for almost a week now and they really work. We leave the shells and the other decoys at home. Less high quality decoys seem to work better than a large spread. Yes they are a pain to take care of and not get dirty but I think reasonable care and they should last a few years before needing touched up or replacement. Don't get me wrong they are not bomb proof like the Big Foot decoys, but the detail in them make them very realistic. These decoys are not for everyone, they need some level of care. Thanks to all for your input and when I get a little time I'll post some pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top