Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2015 11:18:07 PM EDT
I posted up earlier in the year here as this was my first season ever turkey hunting.  I've hunted deer the past 10 years (I'm 36).   I had the opportunity to use the same land that I deer hunt on.  In the fall I've seen over 2 dozen turkey following each other around the property. I figured I'd give it a try this year as it's another opportunity to be outdoors and have something on the other barrel of a gun.  

Well compared to deer that I can shoot anywhere from 50-400 yards, the turkey were a challenge.  Like the deer they are creatures of habit.  I went out 3 days before I finally got a shot off.  All days I arrived about 30 minutes before sunup, good enough to see and find a spot to sit.  The first day I sat too far in the woods where they roost.  Heard a ton of gobbling but didn't call anything my way.  I only saw one hen about 150 yards away when I got up to walk.  The second time out I sat where I saw the hen.  Worked on my calling and got her to come within 10 yards of me while she hung out with my hen decoy for about 10 minutes.  During that time I looked up the hill at the fence line I was sitting on and saw some toms.  I couldn't get them to come my way.  Finally gave up.  Here in MO we have a 1pm cutoff time.  That same day I walked the property and found some good tracks where they had trampled the grass down and crossed from the fence line into the woods.  So the third time I sat about 20 yards from that trail.  Soon as daylight I stood up to go to the bathroom and spotted about a half dozen 200 yards out and downhill.  I immediately sat back down and started yelping.  Less than 5 minutes passed and I had 5 young toms cross within 20 yards of the fence I was backed up to.  My heart started racing like crazy, more than my first deer shot.  I really thought I was going to have a heart attack or pass out.  The toms approached my hen decoy and I slowly pulled the gun up and aimed on one.  I was so focused on that one that I didn't notice the one right behind it.  One shot 2 kills.  I had as much adrenaline pumping through me as they did after the hit.  I was using a primos jackpot glass pot caller that brought them in.  A 12ga Remington express that I picked up for only $140.  I believe it has a 26 or 28" barrel and I was using winchester xx number 5 copper plated lead shells.  The choke was a truglo extra full.  All in all I will be back for sure this fall for another hunt.  Just as addictive as deer, if not more so.

Shot them at 6:30am.  Had one for dinner at 6:30pm.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you...looks tasty
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Great story and congrats, that rush is what it's all about.

The most worked up I've ever been was calling for someone else. Had a couple toms gobbling at me and were clearly heading our way, hands started shaking so bad I couldn't even use my call haha. Those really are the best hunts.

Great looking meal too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top