Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 10:32:35 PM EDT
Those darn devil birds change the questions.

Was on two or three gobblers Thursday morning, had one come in and hang up about 80 yards out.  I moved in earlier this morning and set up about 100-150 yards from their roost.  Gobbled their head off in the tree, heard them fly down and then nary a peep for 45 minutes.

To top it off, lost my striker in the dark.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Turkey hunting is the most challenging and frustrating kind of hunting in North America.

Be patient.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Stayed back this morning, he came down the holler towards me, then turned back.  I cut the distance in half, set up the decoy and started calling.  He came back my way, probably about 100 yds or less away, then hushed.

15 minutes later he's the same distance, but straight ahead on the opposite ridge.  10 minutes later he's on the next ridge over.  I followed, but he never stopped.

This bird is going down.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Loosing your striker is a real bummer! Yes indeed you never know what the bird is going to do. Went out Sunday and had 3 birds around me. The closest one - maybe 70yds. circled behind me and headed off the second was at least 200yds off and I never had a chance with him. The third was down at the bottom of the hill I was on and he quit gobbling so I wasn't sure what happend to him. 15min later here comes a Tom cresting a ridge coming up from the bottom of the hill, he cleared some brush and I took him. Point is keep at it; they may have not come in for you then, but that doesn't mean they won't another day; and you never know when one is going to pop up at you - don't give up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Accidentally set up about 70 yds from two on the roost this morning. Same old song and dance, gobble a ton, fly down and go the other way. I stayed pretty quiet, didn't make a difference.

Had four gobbling that I could hear, they all hushed by 7.

Did find my lost striker though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top