Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2015 7:28:11 PM EDT
Oregon has a mentored hunter program to encourage youth to get involved in hunting. We signed my 9 yo son up and I took him on his first hunt today!

Wow, what a great experience! I picked my son up and took him to lunch at 11:15 am. We drove to the property and there were multiple Toms and Jakes there already. We drove to the far end of the property and walked as close to the birds as I thought we could. Of course some Jakes busted us so I set up where we were. We sat in silence, him reading his homework, for about 1/2 hour. I then called for @ 8 minutes and went quite for 20. As soon as I started up on the calls again we got a response close in, behind us. Fortunately the double bull blind has rear windows for just this case. I opened the window and there were 3 Jakes and a nice Tom @ 15 yards. I told my son to keep his head down and pick one. He did and made a text book shot on the lead Jake. Not a single pellet in the body! He is one happy boy and I am one proud dad!

2 1/2 hours from the field to the grill! I am going to throw some bacon on top of the turkey because everything is better with bacon!

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding op. Congrats to you and your son. Hope y'all have many more years of hunting together
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice! I went out today and heard some far off gobbles but didn't have anything come close.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top