Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2015 10:36:33 PM EDT
I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.  Got all my gear staged and ready, gameplan in place, hoping for a little avian cooperation.

Can't wait to match wits with Tom in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm jealous.  Tons of public land here.  Healthy elk population, good blacktail population, mule deer if you are willing to drive east.  The state is something like 80% public land but the areas with a healthy turkey populations are almost all private.

I get get the itch every time around this year.  Nothing like having a turkey gobble at the other end of a hollow and come right on in to the call.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Turkey tragedy. Called in 4 separate birds at varying times this morning
1.  River Field about 8:30.  Saw me and split
2.  River Field about 9:30.  Gobbling on across the house field, came across the creek, was coming in, he stepped behind a big poplar and VANISHED into thin air
3.  Paddock field at the point of the pine about 10:30.  Unbeknownst to me he was silenty coming in on my right rear quarter, got up[ to move, he saw me, putted and was GONE
4.  Bottom of paddock field where the cut-though is to the pond around 11:00; he came out of the woods by the paddock and SLOWLY strutted his way down to my decoy.  Like 30 minutes of watching him strut and take his pokey time, finally couldn't take it any more and shot and MISSED.  He flew away towards the house field and is probably in Orange right now.

I'm so angry with myself for not havging a little more patience, but, aside from not connecting, one of the most exciting mornings turkey hunting I've had.  Guess I'm doing something right with that turkey call.

I'm going to try again tomorrow morning; first morning of Sunday spring Turkey season we've ever had in Virginia.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Redemption!

21 lbs, 12 oz.
1 1/8" spurs
10.0" beard

17 yards, 870, 3" 1 3/4 oz. Winchester #5 copper-plated shot.

Started hunting this bird at 5 pm yesterday; he started gobbling in the field across the pond and gobbled every 5-10 minutes until after 8.  We can only hunt until noon the first 3 weeks of the season, so I had to wait until this morning.  With all the gobbling last night I had his roost pegged.

Got set up about 5:40 am this morning.  Heard my first gobble at 5:56; this guy's first gobble was at 6:09.  Heard the most gobbling I've ever heard this morning, at least 8 birds and maybe a few more all in the vicinity.  All of 'em fired up; roosted in a few singles and a doubles and triples.

This bird gobbled on the roost until about 6:30 and then flew down.  He poked around, out of view, gobbling, as I softly clucked and gave a few yelps.  I've got my gun aimed at what I expect to be the likely approach, and wait.  Gobbling stops, and I'm thinking he's coming in, but still don't see him.  All of a sudden, about 45 degrees off my aim, I see this shape that I honest to God said to myself "That's a hog!".  Now, understand, we don't have hogs here.  Never have.  No idea WHY "hog" ran through my mind, but there it is.

I quickly realize it's no hog (duh!), it's 'Ol Tom in full strut!  Now, remember, I'm 45 degrees off where I need to be.  With his approach from this new direction I'm basically visible.  I'm thinking how the heck can I get my gun around on him with getting made and having a repeat of yesterday.  He keeps coming in, awfully interested in my decoy, all puffed up and spitting and drumming.  He struts up to the decoy, kind of walks around it, turns, and tries to mount it!  Figure this is my chance, swing the shotgun over, and drop the hammer.  Dead.  Right.  There.  No flopping, hammered hard, at 7:00 am.  17 yards.

What a morning!

(Oh, and that decoy in the background?  NOT my hunting decoy.  Some folks have lawn jockeys, we have yard decoys).

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice bird.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Redemption!

21 lbs, 12 oz.
1 1/8" spurs
10.0" beard

17 yards, 870, 3" 1 3/4 oz. Winchester #5 copper-plated shot.

Started hunting this bird at 5 pm yesterday; he started gobbling in the field across the pond and gobbled every 5-10 minutes until after 8.  We can only hunt until noon the first 3 weeks of the season, so I had to wait until this morning.  With all the gobbling last night I had his roost pegged.

Got set up about 5:40 am this morning.  Heard my first gobble at 5:56; this guy's first gobble was at 6:09.  Heard the most gobbling I've ever heard this morning, at least 8 birds and maybe a few more all in the vicinity.  All of 'em fired up; roosted in a few singles and a doubles and triples.

This bird gobbled on the roost until about 6:30 and then flew down.  He poked around, out of view, gobbling, as I softly clucked and gave a few yelps. I've got my gun aimed at what I expect to be the likely approach, and wait.  Gobbling stops, and I'm thinking he's coming in, but still don't see him.  All of a sudden, about 45 degrees off my aim, I see this shape that I honest to God said to myself "That's a hog!".  Now, understand, we don't have hogs here.  Never have.  No idea WHY "hog" ran through my mind, but there it is.

I quickly realize it's no hog (duh!), it's 'Ol Tom in full strut!  Now, remember, I'm 45 degrees off where I need to be.  With his approach from this new direction I'm basically visible.  I'm thinking how the heck can I get my gun around on him with getting made and having a repeat of yesterday.  He keeps coming in, awfully interested in my decoy, all puffed up and spitting and drumming.  He struts up to the decoy, kind of walks around it, turns, and tries to mount it!  Figure this is my chance, swing the shotgun over, and drop the hammer.  Dead.  Right.  There.  No flopping, hammered hard, at 7:00 am.  17 yards.

What a morning!

(Oh, and that decoy in the background?  NOT my hunting decoy.  Some folks have lawn jockeys, we have yard decoys).

http://i.imgur.com/yYKtCEj.jpg
View Quote

Congrats, nice bird!

I always tell people I take turkey hunting that you never put your gun up until you see him and he is in range. Too many things can go wrong putting it up too soon. Just to name a few that have happened to me, hens that I didn't know were there have seen me and begun putting, the gobbler has taken a different route like what happened to you, another gobbler has come up without me knowing it and from a different direction. My experience is that even if he is looking directly at you when you ease the gun up, you will have enough time to take a good shot. Typically, you can time it for him to step behind something, go into strut, etc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Every bird in the bag is a good one.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Boom. Nice!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I always tell people I take turkey hunting that you never put your gun up until you see him and he is in range. Too many things can go wrong putting it up too soon.
View Quote

No disrespect, but I think the exact opposite.  That gun needs to be up, and not in your lap, unless you're in some type of blind.  You can adjust your aim, of course, but a downed gun is a recipe for getting made.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No disrespect, but I think the exact opposite.  That gun needs to be up, and not in your lap, unless you're in some type of blind.  You can adjust your aim, of course, but a downed gun is a recipe for getting made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I always tell people I take turkey hunting that you never put your gun up until you see him and he is in range. Too many things can go wrong putting it up too soon.

None taken. Over 20+ years of hunting turkeys and a hundred or so birds I've taken and a number of others taken by people I've guided, I've never had one get away due to raising the gun once I am ready to shoot. I have, however, had birds surprise me and come in from an awkward direction as well as spooked hens that I didn't know were there when I've raised my gun early. My dad, who has been taking limits for 60 years, will tell you the same thing.

Set up has a lot to do with it. I sometimes do carry a blind, but it is a cloth blind about 26 inches high with wooden dowels. Sometimes I use palmettos to make a blind. And sometimes, i don't use a blind at all. I do, however, set up in an area that provides cover, and thick cover to my rear. I also set up mainly in areas where the bird will not come into view until he is within range.

Usually, the bird will come into strut, step behind a tree, or something along those lines and that is when you raise the gun. If you ease the gun up and the bird sees you, he will typically crane his neck up to get a better look, turn and start putting, etc. You will get a good shot though. Now, if you try to snap shoot him, he will be gone. It's all about how you raise the gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
None taken. Over 20+ years of hunting turkeys and a hundred or so birds I've taken and a number of others taken by people I've guided, I've never had one get away due to raising the gun once I am ready to shoot. I have, however, had birds surprise me and come in from an awkward direction as well as spooked hens that I didn't know were there when I've raised my gun early. My dad, who has been taking limits for 60 years, will tell you the same thing.

Set up has a lot to do with it. I sometimes do carry a blind, but it is a cloth blind about 26 inches high with wooden dowels. Sometimes I use palmettos to make a blind. And sometimes, i don't use a blind at all. I do, however, set up in an area that provides cover, and thick cover to my rear. I also set up mainly in areas where the bird will not come into view until he is within range.

Usually, the bird will come into strut, step behind a tree, or something along those lines and that is when you raise the gun. If you ease the gun up and the bird sees you, he will typically crane his neck up to get a better look, turn and start putting, etc. You will get a good shot though. Now, if you try to snap shoot him, he will be gone. It's all about how you raise the gun.
View Quote

Well, I'll say this.  You raise some good points, which I may find occasion to test on the morrow.  

Woke up late and a bit hung over this morning only to listen to Tom gobbling incessantly for an hour EXACTLY where I was set up yesterday morning.  Decided to save him for another day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, I'll say this.  You raise some good points, which I may find occasion to test on the morrow.  

Woke up late and a bit hung over this morning only to listen to Tom gobbling incessantly for an hour EXACTLY where I was set up yesterday morning.  Decided to save him for another day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Until last year, I would not have agreed with keeping your gun down until you know where your shot will be.

I don't believe, however, that you will be able to get away with moving your gun when the bird is looking at you from closer ranges.

I did nail one of four gobblers that caught me with my gun in my lap last year on opening day.  I waited until I had the shot pictured, steadily raised the gun, and shot the bird as he raised his head at a distance of 40 yards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Tagged another one this morning.  Got to my listening post at 5:30; first gobble in the distance (500+ yards) at 5:58.  Figured I might could call him in so went down to what I call Pine Corner, set up my decoy, and had a seat.  While I'm getting my slate out a bird lets loose 60-70 yards away.  I give a yelp and a few clucks, distant bird responds but this guy sits mute.  Minutes go by and he gobbles again a few times, I wait another 5 minutes and give a few more clucks.  He gobbles again once or twice, then I watch him fly down into the field corner.  He's all checking things out, scoping the decoy, poking around.  Finally goes into strut, drops his fan, pops up his head, and I drop the hammer.  Not a good killing shot as he did the "I'm gonna run and fly away lying on my side" thing; flopping around.  

I like good shots, but I'll take a poor one if it gets him down.

16.0 lbs, 8.5" beard, 3/4" spurs.  30 yard shot.  On the ground at 6:13; 43 minute total hunt time.  Sure helps when you can just walk out the back door and hunt.

Not a monster like the first one, but a turkey's a turkey.  My season is over with success!

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats! Mine was a little on the small side and it wasn't and nice no-flopping shot either but it was a great way to end the season. 10 more months.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on a great season!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
We have two more weeks;  I've hit my home hunting grounds limit (I only take a max of 2 gobblers off our place), so to fill my tag I'm going to have to find some new ground.  Got lots of options, just need to do some politicking.

Oh, and I'm about 99% sure that bird #2 is the same one here; caught walking through my back yard the week before.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top