Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2015 12:03:32 AM EDT
And came home empty handed.

An ARFCommer graciously allowed me an my dad to hunt on his ranch this past Sarurday. We heard plenty of turkeys early that morning. Almost had a couple Tom's come in on our decoy, but they were already with a hen, which led them off elsewhere.

After that, we walked across pretty much his entire ranch up and down hills to see if we couldn't pin point some more. It was pretty quiet until early that afternoon.

We eventually got a Tom to respond to our box call, repeatedly, but he was several hundred yards away on someone else's land.

So we find a clearing and set up and started calling him in. It didn't take long for 2 Tom's to come in. I was getting pretty excited as we may be able to get 2 Tom's at once. Me and my dad were in a L shape type ambush around the decoy. The only problem was, was that the Tom's came in behind us. When they came in, they were about 15 years from me, but I didn't have a clear shot with the saplings in the way...and I would have to get up and turn around. They were about 10 yards from my dad.

I was hoping he would let them come in a bit more until they could see the decoy (small patch of brush in the way of their view). Unexpectedly to me, my dad shot and one flew away, and then he shit again.

He missed....twice....at the same turkey..lol...that was the first time he's missed a turkey...epically at so close.

I didn't even dirty up my gun

Looks like we'll try again this coming up weekend
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And came home empty handed.

An ARFCommer graciously allowed me an my dad to hunt on his ranch this past Sarurday. We heard plenty of turkeys early that morning. Almost had a couple Tom's come in on our decoy, but they were already with a hen, which led them off elsewhere.

After that, we walked across pretty much his entire ranch up and down hills to see if we couldn't pin point some more. It was pretty quiet until early that afternoon.

We eventually got a Tom to respond to our box call, repeatedly, but he was several hundred yards away on someone else's land.

So we find a clearing and set up and started calling him in. It didn't take long for 2 Tom's to come in. I was getting pretty excited as we may be able to get 2 Tom's at once. Me and my dad were in a L shape type ambush around the decoy. The only problem was, was that the Tom's came in behind us. When they came in, they were about 15 years from me, but I didn't have a clear shot with the saplings in the way...and I would have to get up and turn around. They were about 10 yards from my dad.

I was hoping he would let them come in a bit more until they could see the decoy (small patch of brush in the way of their view). Unexpectedly to me, my dad shot and one flew away, and then he shit again.

He missed....twice....at the same turkey..lol...that was the first time he's missed a turkey...epically at so close.

I didn't even dirty up my gun

Looks like we'll try again this coming up weekend
View Quote

Hahaha definitely sounds like turkey hunting.

Good luck this weekend. Sounds like y'all are still doing better than me so far.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sit back to back if you are like handed, side by side if you aren't. You can cover pretty much 360 that way, provided you pick a good backstop to sit against.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Got 'em!

Rem 11-87 12 ga with 26" barrel

Indian Creek .665 choke

Hevi-Shot magnum blend (5-6-7 shot).

Dropped him like a sack of potatoes at 30 yards and never fluttered.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! Great looking scenery and bird. Info on beard and spur lengths? That looks like a pretty nice beard.

On another note, I shoot an 870 but someone recently told me the Indian Creek choke with the Hevi magnum blend was the best combo for the gun (870). I've been using a Jellyhead and Hevi 6's for years now with good success but I may need to revisit that and pattern mine next to your combo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
7-8 inches on the beard. Spurs are maybe .5 inches.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh wow, beard looks bigger than that to me in the pictures.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I haven't measured the beard. Just estimating. I'll be tending to the tail and beard tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!  I had similar results this past weekend with hevishot #4 at 30 yards...no flapping, no flopping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top