Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
I have two choices. The first is an old 26" 16ga SxS, but the only load I can find for it locally are #7.5 shot. The second is a 20" pump in 12ga, and I can find just about anything from #4-6 locally for it.

Neither will accept a choke. Which would be a better choice for turkeys? Getting another gun is not an option.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
12ga and possibly a new barrel for it.

Or HeaviShot as your ammo.

I'm assuming it has a cylinder choke ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
12ga and possibly a new barrel for it.

Or HeaviShot as your ammo.

I'm assuming it has a cylinder choke ?
View Quote

New barrel isn't an option. And yes, a cylinder choke.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#3]
HeviShot - Their 'Blend' version.  The one with 3 different sized shot in each shell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
12 ga.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the 12 here, and I agree with the Hevi Magnum Blend. There's also other various turkey loads that don't require any chokes and I think do a really good job, I would probably get 2-3 different loads and see which one patterns best.

I plan to take mine from 26" down to 20" after this season.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help. I'll check my Dicks and maybe Academy to see if any of them carry the Heai-Shot stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HeviShot - Their 'Blend' version.  The one with 3 different sized shot in each shell.
View Quote

Isn't that stuff like $5/shell?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I shoot two birds, that's $10 / year, but not ten dollars more than two 'regular' turkey loads.

And you're damn right I'll put them in my kid's 20GA's.

They won't be handicapped in any way, and the look on their faces when they wack a bird that wouldn't come closer than 40-45 yards is well worth it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yep, it is pricey but the only real painful part is the patterning process. Once you're set on your load, like Flatulence said, most don't shoot more than twice a year so a box or two of 5 shells will usually last unless you're really kicking ass and taking birds in multiple states. It's actually kind of sad to say but I'm going on my third season now with the same box of 5 shells (I haven't been kicking ass ).

And also, like mentioned, if you have a bird hung up that won't come all the way in it's nice to know you can still reach out there and get him if you have to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked up a box of the Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend today. $30 after tax for a box of 5 was painful
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Farthest bird I've shot was 42 yards, took him with 1 3/4 oz. #5 shot, copperplated.  Well, the actual farthest was 62 yards, but that bird took a .308.  Don't ask, it was Texas.

I agree that in the grand scheme $5/shell isn't much;  I'm probably paying $1k/lb for free-range, organic turkey if you factor in my time

I'm probably on my 3rd box of turkey loads in the 16 years I've been chasing them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
You will be fine with either assuming your gun patterns tight. I have killed numerous turkeys with 2 3/4 inch 7 1/2s in 20 gauge, 16 gauge, and 12 gauge. The key is keeping your distances at 40 yards and under and making sure the load/choke combo patterns well. My go to turkey load is a federal 3 inch magnum 2 oz 7 1/2 in a 12 gauge. They don't make them anymore, but I have a few boxes left that I've found over the years in old stock. I have killed a few birds out to 55 yards with that load. I don't recommend trying it, and the times I have done it have been when I have misjudged distances.

If you really want to get into expensive loads and chokes, I've heard that Nitro heavies and a rhino choke are unparalleled, but they want something like 7 or 8 bucks a shell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You will be fine with either assuming your gun patterns tight. I have killed numerous turkeys with 2 3/4 inch 7 1/2s in 20 gauge, 16 gauge, and 12 gauge. The key is keeping your distances at 40 yards and under and making sure the load/choke combo patterns well. My go to turkey load is a federal 3 inch magnum 2 oz 7 1/2 in a 12 gauge. They don't make them anymore, but I have a few boxes left that I've found over the years in old stock. I have killed a few birds out to 55 yards with that load. I don't recommend trying it, and the times I have done it have been when I have misjudged distances.

If you really want to get into expensive loads and chokes, I've heard that Nitro heavies and a rhino choke are unparalleled, but they want something like 7 or 8 bucks a shell.
View Quote

Did you read the OP? Neither of my guns will accept a choke.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed that part, but most of the response still applies.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
BTW - What is the make and model of your 12GA ?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#16]
</a>" />

7 1/2s this am.

ETA killed by me and a buddy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BTW - What is the make and model of your 12GA ?
View Quote

Mossberg 500. 20" barrel and a 7 round tube.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Check to see if you need to be limited to three TOTAL rounds in the gun.

Here in MO that means:  2 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber.

If you like hunting these birds enough, I'd keep an eye out for a used barrel which accepts choke tubes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/Wally910/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg</a>" />

7 1/2s this am.

ETA killed by me and a buddy.
View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I think this poll is rigged.... There is no archery option!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Forgot to say, I would do the 12GA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#22]
If the heavy shot doesn't pattern well for you, and it may not since you don't have an extra full or full choke, look into federal line of turkey loads.  They use the flight control wad and supposedly pattern better in wider chokes because the wad controls the pattern not the choke.  If you find a load that patterns well at 35 yards in your 12 gauge, I wouldn't worry to much about buying a new barrel.  Many dedicated turkey guns have 24" barrels.  If you get a good pattern with your 20" I would keep that.  Barrel length isn't all that important in a shotgun for turkey.  You won't lose much velocity with a shorter barrel like you would in a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]
First off. Pattern density kills, not energy... as long as you have enough energy to penetrate the skull/vertebrae.

Second... you should really pattern both guns. Especially if you're using heavier than lead shot.

On that note, heavier than lead is the way to go. I will likely be selling my 3.5" 12 gauge because I have zero use for it now. We're using a Remington youth model 870 20 gauge with a .555 Indian Creek choke, and #9 shot tungsten handloads. Yep, #9. #9 tungsten is equivalent in penetration (and therefore killing power) as #4 shot out past 80 yards.

Tungsten is EXPENSIVE. And you can't buy shells with it... you have to handload. Each shell that I handload costs me about $8 in components. But it's the best you can get. The combo above is getting me 260+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I'm actually looking at getting a more open choke because the pattern is so tight at close ranges. I'm using Shotgun Insights patterning software and I ran the numbers and I have 100% kill odds out past 80 yards with this gun. I'll never shoot that far, but it's good to know that I have a very capable gun.

It's worth the cost to me. I spend more on gas than I will on shells. I can get up to two birds and my son can get one.

It's a game changer. For factory loads, I'd look at the Federal Heavyweight 7s.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top