Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 1:56:23 PM EDT
Just limited-out (15) eight days in a row. On my best day, I averaged three rounds per bird. I don't even want to talk about my worst day. Those things are like jet fighters, and they make pheasants look like helicopters.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome! We don't have a dove season
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of states had them reclassified as "song birds" to prevent hunting them. Pity, because it didn't change the population a bit, and they're outstanding game birds. And there's nothing better than a marinated dove breast wrapped in bacon with a jalapeno slice tooth-picked on top.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you using? I love dove. Not much on them, but what you do get is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you using?...
View Quote

S&W side-by-side 20 gauge, straight stock with cast-off, double triggers. Birds WANT to be shot by it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I like to us my late father’s Win. Model 12 FC for birds.   Had a lot of practice when I was younger shooting crows and J birds for my grandmother.   One round, one kill.  
  Three rounds per bird!   I’m doing one round per three birds.   I cheat; I wait for them to land on the fence line, line them up and pull the trigger.   Three birds one shot.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven`t hunted dove in probably a little over 30 years.

Do remember this though.

Once a dove figures out that they are being shot at,

the after burner comes online.

One would need an AA gun to bring one down at that point. Only if you`re lucky.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#8]
We think of pheasants as "helicopters" and doves as "fighters".
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I love to hunt.  I love to hunt doves more than anything else.  I want to hunt doves in Argentina, but I'm afraid it would be so overwhelmingly awesome that I would be disappointed with hunting them in Texas again...

These pics are a few years old.

I was 4 birds with 4 shots, then I got cocky and missed one with both barrels.  That little .410 was like a space age death ray that morning.

AA with 3 bar scan.  Just keep the aim dot in the ASE circle and your Vc below 600 kts and you should improve your hit ratio...  
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm at work the first 2 days of dove this year
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I work the first 3 but have the afternoon of the 4th off.
Opening day of dove and deer seasons should be national holidays.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I did have the 1st off but we are switching to a new tele system at work and since I am a Charge Nurse I have to go to the 6 hour class and they only have certain days available. The only day that I can go is the 1st...
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I did have the 1st off but we are switching to a new tele system at work and since I am a Charge Nurse I have to go to the 6 hour class and they only have certain days available. The only day that I can go is the 1st...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Bummer. I'm the leadman in the street dept. of a small city. I'm thinking of playing hooky.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#15]
No longer have to take that class! It was full and I didn't get the job! So I get to go hunting instead!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#16]
This will be the first opening weekend in 7 years that I don't have any plans for.  My buddy sold his ranch earlier this year, and I've been too busy to find a dove lease that's close to home.  

I'm sure I'll get a few dove hunts in this year, but it won't be anything like years past.  Y'all be safe, have fun, and shoot one for me!!!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I want to hunt doves in Argentina, but I'm afraid it would be so overwhelmingly awesome that I would be disappointed with hunting them in Texas again...

View Quote

True story, but worth the heartache.

Now I only hunt the first week of the season.  I pretty much only take technically challenging presentations.  Last year I ran my limit in as many shells only shooting at 75 yd+ birds with a tightly choked 20 ga. that throws patterns that looks like they were created in the dreams of Bob Brister.  My ARFCOM dove hunting partner just shakes his head...he be all like WTF dude.  

Nirvana is not all it is cracked up to be.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The opener is two days away!!!! Can't wait. I'm a little nervous, haven't been seeing many birds, the deer hit my sunflowers bad!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm friggin' excited as well!  My wife just took her Hunter's Ed course a couple of weeks ago, so this will be her first time hunting.  I'm so excited to have her as my hunting partner!  

We went out and bought her a Mossberg Maverick 88 20ga.  My 870 is a tad on the heavy side for her to really swing around.  Plus, I want to shoot, too.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Heading out tomorrow afternoon, can't fucking wait
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Drove up to the farm this evening. Tons of doves, I'm pumped. There were hardly any last week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
3:1 is pretty good.

I didn't get out at all this year
View Quote

Uh...yeah--that's real damn good.  When they've been shot at a few times and start doing their zig-zag bullshit at greenwinged teal speeds--it's like trying  to guess where they're gonna be at in 20 feet.  You have a better chance of hitting a knuckle ball.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Friday at noon for us.  Stupid drought killed most of my millet, but I still have birds in.  This was my first field and I learned ALOT.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My trip this week got called off due to poor attendance by the birds. Hopefully, they'll show up soon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Going tomorrow.  And this is totally what I did

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Dove hunting is not quite the thing here in MT as it is in other states.  However, my GWP doesn't recognize mourning doves as game birds.  Starting tomorrow I pack the 20ga on walks and I'll try to pop a couple I jump, get her to retrieve one or two and her thinking they are no different that a robin should change.  Lots of training opportunities for pointing if I can pull that off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, kind of a let down.  We didn't see very many bird, BUT my wife got her first bird!  I was so proud of her!  I think she shot at one bird a while beforehand (fairly far so she didn't hit it) and missed, so this was the second shot and she downed it good.    

When we were done shooting I showed her how to dress it, which she did pretty much on her own!  

She can't WAIT to eat HER BIRD, lol.  Love it!  I'm just a little happy right now, lol.  

I have a pic of her holding her bird.  Will try to upload tomorrow if I remember.  

(I only took two birds for a total of three between the two of us.  We really didn't shoot much at all.  Hope to get some more here in a few days.)

ETA:  Wife pic

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#28]
OP.. opsec...Isn't The  limit 45 ?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP.. opsec...Isn't The  limit 45 ?  
View Quote

The possession limit is 45.  If you're eating them, or giving them away fast enough, no problem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
The boy and i only got 11 on the opener.  I'm good with that, I was letting him shoot and following up. He finally killed his first ever bird(pictured below) and then pulled off a great shot on one about 45 yards out. We are going to hit them again in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The boy and i only got 11 on the opener.  I'm good with that, I was letting him shoot and following up. He finally killed his first ever bird(pictured below) and then pulled off a great shot on one about 45 yards out. We are going to hit them again in the morning.
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/pumpkinheaver/media/C7C9E6AC-5C92-486D-891A-EDCF47DB3699_zpsitti1jgd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170/pumpkinheaver/C7C9E6AC-5C92-486D-891A-EDCF47DB3699_zpsitti1jgd.jpg</a>
View Quote

Do I spy a Winchester Model 120 Youth?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#32]
We ended up with 17 opening day.  We would have had more if we picked the spot we later moved to first.   4 eurasian and 13 morning.   My buddy smoked my ass on hits, I was sucking it up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We ended up with 17 opening day.  We would have had more if we picked the spot we later moved to first.   4 eurasian and 13 morning.   My buddy smoked my ass on hits, I was sucking it up.
View Quote

I started out great 5 for 7. It went downhill from there!!!!:(
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/pumpkinheaver/media/C7C9E6AC-5C92-486D-891A-EDCF47DB3699_zpsitti1jgd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170/pumpkinheaver/C7C9E6AC-5C92-486D-891A-EDCF47DB3699_zpsitti1jgd.jpg</a>

Ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner. He loves it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have mine from when I was that age.  Bought a 28" model 1300 barrel and adult stock for it and once in a while I still take it out hunting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My game was off badly for some reason this year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Opening day for the Texas central zone my brother and I limited out in 2.5 hours.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Opening day here was Saturday.  Got my limit in 2 1/2 hours.  Went today and got another limit, but took an extra hour and a half to get there.  Best season I've had in quite some time.  It's been real dry as far as birds being around goes for about 4 or 5 years.  Was good to have 2 good days after such a dry spell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like to us my late father’s Win. Model 12 FC for birds.   Had a lot of practice when I was younger shooting crows and J birds for my grandmother.   One round, one kill.  
  Three rounds per bird!   I’m doing one round per three birds.   I cheat; I wait for them to land on the fence line, line them up and pull the trigger.   Three birds one shot.  
View Quote

Shooting a dove Ina fence or power line is bad sportsmanship !!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top