Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 1:23:57 PM EDT
I may be doing some duck hunting in the near future. Never done it before, but have hunted doves for over 30 years. Don't worry, I'm going with people who know what they're doing. The questions are regarding ammo type, choke, shot, etc. I have these guns:

1. Rem 870 12 ga w/ 28" barrel, remchoke, 3" mag capable
2. Rem 1100 12 ga w/ 28" barrel, remchoke, NOT magnum
I have remchokes in imp cyl, mod, and full.

I would RATHER use the autoloader just due to personal pref., but would I be screwing myself by using this gun VS the trombone gun w/ 3" mag? Also recomendations on which ammo and shot # for each gun- I can get ammo at either wal mart or gander mountain. I know lead is a no-no.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Kent Fasteel waterfowl loads:  Kent

My preferred duck load is 3" # 2's 1-1/4 oz. at 1425 fps.    If you have to use the 2-3/4" loads, you'll lose 1/8 oz of shot, or roughly 125 fps - it's your call.   With steel, speed kills.  If you want to use the 1100, I'd go with the 1-1/8" at 1425.  If you're going to go with the 870, I'd use the 3" 1-1/4 oz at 1425.  I hunt primarily mallards over decoys.  #2's work well, My friend uses BB's just in case there are geese around.  BB's kill em dead, but you loose pellet count.  Smaller ducks like teal or woodies you could go to 3's or even 4's.

I't depends a bit on what you're doing,  Shooting ducks coming into the decoys is one thing - closer shots - more open choke, Impr. cyl with steel.  Pass shooting - longer shots tighter choke, might want to go with a mod.    I don't think you want to use a full choke with steel shot.  From what I've read it just blows the pattern - and it may bulge the choke.  

ETA:  You'd want to check the specs on your full choke remchoke and see if it's even rated for steel.  It may not be, to lazy to go dig one up and see.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just run out & buy a new Benelli M2 or Browning A5 in 3 1/2 inch..get some Remington hypersonic 1725's in #2....bring them on down...

Or...simply take the pump & some #2's and pick your shots, it's always a big win when you lay a smack down on the pricey hardware...

the main thing is to hit the Duck!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just run out & buy a new Benelli M2 or Browning A5 in 3 1/2 inch..get some Remington hypersonic 1725's in #2....bring them on down...

Or...simply take the pump & some #2's and pick your shots, it's always a big win when you lay a smack down on the pricey hardware...

the main thing is to hit the Duck!
View Quote

Not going to buy another shotgun for something I'm not even sure I'm going to do that much if I already have one that would work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like Kent Fasteel waterfowl loads:  Kent

My preferred duck load is 3" # 2's 1-1/4 oz. at 1425 fps.    If you have to use the 2-3/4" loads, you'll lose 1/8 oz of shot, or roughly 125 fps - it's your call.   With steel, speed kills.  If you want to use the 1100, I'd go with the 1-1/8" at 1425.  If you're going to go with the 870, I'd use the 3" 1-1/4 oz at 1425.  I hunt primarily mallards over decoys.  #2's work well, My friend uses BB's just in case there are geese around.  BB's kill em dead, but you loose pellet count.  Smaller ducks like teal or woodies you could go to 3's or even 4's.

I't depends a bit on what you're doing,  Shooting ducks coming into the decoys is one thing - closer shots - more open choke, Impr. cyl with steel.  Pass shooting - longer shots tighter choke, might want to go with a mod.    I don't think you want to use a full choke with steel shot.  From what I've read it just blows the pattern - and it may bulge the choke.  

ETA:  You'd want to check the specs on your full choke remchoke and see if it's even rated for steel.  It may not be, to lazy to go dig one up and see.
View Quote

+1 on all of this. Same loads I use with very good success.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless your expecting very close shots, like less than 25 yds, I'd go with the 3" magnum.  #4 or #3 shot in the fastest load you can find/afford. Speed kills
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The rule of thumb with steel is that you choke one more open than you would for the same load in lead.

I like a full choke in lead, but I use modified for steel in each gun. Using 3" #3 I can pattern pretty well at 45 yards with 30-40 being the sweet spot.

It shoots faster than lead too, so don't lead them as much, put it right on their nose.

For mallards a #2 or BB load might work better for lots of longer shots. #3-#4 kills them pretty dead for decoying and jumping though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to order some decent steel loads for a good price I would recommend grabbing Fiocchi loads from Grafs.

Before SAFE I mail ordered a shit load of it, enough for a few seasons anyway. It's way cheaper than retail prices and my gun likes it better than the Remington stuff from Walmart, very consistent.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]
So I'm thinking #3 or #4  3" w/ mod in the 870.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds perfect, remember to pattern it though. Just like any other load you really need a visual of what you are sending out there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I shoot 3 & 4 shot mostly for puddle duck hunting swamps myself. Bigger water maybe 2's.
Shot depends on how far you have to shoot and what type of ducks.
Like for sea duck season we shoot 1,BB, BBB. Sea ducks have a thick insulation of skin and down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a Light Mod choke and 3" Black Cloud #4 for woodies and teal. For bigger ducks the same but a #2 or BB.

OP - just make sure your chokes are rated for steel. Also, you mentioned you're going with some folks that know what they are doing. Ask their recommendation too, since they will have a better idea of the type of shooting you will be doing as well as the species.

Most importantly, good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use a Light Mod choke and 3" Black Cloud #4 for woodies and teal. For bigger ducks the same but a #2 or BB.

OP - just make sure your chokes are rated for steel. Also, you mentioned you're going with some folks that know what they are doing. Ask their recommendation too, since they will have a better idea of the type of shooting you will be doing as well as the species.

View Quote

My gun is a 870 express magnum bought in 1992 (ish) and the chokes are the ones that came with it. Wouldn't these be ok to shoot steel through? I know the laws for using steel on ducks are older than my gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Check and see if they are marked.  The full choke rem chokes on the Remington website show they are rated for steel.  

Steel patterns much tighter than lead though so I don't think i'd shoot the full choke with steel.  Find a range and pattern the gun with steel at 40 yards and see what happens.  My duck/goose gun is set up with modified right now. It's a little tight for close shots & I may switch to imp. cyl.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My gun is a 870 express magnum bought in 1992 (ish) and the chokes are the ones that came with it. Wouldn't these be ok to shoot steel through? I know the laws for using steel on ducks are older than my gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All my Rem chokes (factory) are fine for steel, I imagine yours are too. My 870 patterns best with the modified. Improved is only okay, leaves a few gaps in the pattern. Full is just terrible, it throws a doughnut shaped pattern.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I use an 870 Express Super Magnum that I bought a while back.  I use Hevi Shot Speed Ball - 3 inch - #3 for most of my duck hunting.  Brings ducks down just as efficiently as any $2K Benelli.  Duck hunting is rough on guns and I would leave my nicer guns at home.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use an 870 Express Super Magnum that I bought a while back.  I use Hevi Shot Speed Ball - 3 inch - #3 for most of my duck hunting.  Brings ducks down just as efficiently as any $2K Benelli.  Duck hunting is rough on guns and I would leave my nicer guns at home.
View Quote

I bought a Pardner Pump just for river hunting, I've had to fish two different guns that I like out of before, it's just a matter of time until I lose one for good, I would rather it be an easily replaceable $190 gun.

The thing is pretty great though, I actually like it a lot, killed a lot of ducks with it so far.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bought a Pardner Pump just for river hunting, I've had to fish two different guns that I like out of before, it's just a matter of time until I lose one for good, I would rather it be an easily replaceable $190 gun.

The thing is pretty great though, I actually like it a lot, killed a lot of ducks with it so far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go with Mossy 500 pumps.  I can buy them all day long for about $100 used and I dont feel bad about them bumping around in the boat, getting covered with rain and sleet, and if I loose one in the drink it is infinitly replaceable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Benelli with Modified choke and #2s is my duck hunting gun of choice.  I bought it to shot it; in water, mud, rain, dirt, you name it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not suggesting you do this, but you should know -  you can shoot 3" STEEL shells from your 2 3/4" chambered 1100 if you buy a "steel shot" barrel for it from Remington (it is chambered for 3", and fits 2 3/4" chambered guns). They come in 26" or 30", Remchoke, vent rib, blued. I bought one for a 2 3/4" 1100, works just fine with steel, but don't try any lead or Hevi-Shot type loads. About 10 years ago, I saw one at a pawn shop for $100 (NIB too ). Normal price now ($275) is almost as much as a good used gun nowadays... that's why my first sentence was not suggesting you spend the money.  But if you come across a deal like I did, that's a different story. You should also know, the gas porting on the steel shot barrels means they will not reliably cycle an 1100 when using lower powered field/trap loads in the steel shot barrel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544727/remington-barrel-remington-1100-12-gauge-3-steel-shot-30-rem-choke-with-full-choke-vent-rib-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I'll just go with the 870, borrow a couple different rounds from duck hunters I know, and see which does best with the modified, then buy whatever that is. I believe I paid $160 for that gun at Kmart back then. FWIW, one of my duck hunting buds carries a stupid strong magnet with 550 cord tied to it in his boat in case a gun goes swimming- just fish for it, reel it in, wash out foreign debris, drain, continue to hunt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I'll just go with the 870, borrow a couple different rounds from duck hunters I know, and see which does best with the modified, then buy whatever that is. I believe I paid $160 for that gun at Kmart back then. FWIW, one of my duck hunting buds carries a stupid strong magnet with 550 cord tied to it in his boat in case a gun goes swimming- just fish for it, reel it in, wash out foreign debris, drain, continue to hunt.
View Quote

I've had really good luck with Fiocchi Speed Steel, $12-$13/box at grafs.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a 870 man myself.   I'm still shooting my 870 express magnum  I bought 20yrs ago.  I have changed barrels though.  I got rid of the  factory 28" barrel and replaced it with a factory 21" barrel.   I did this for more a maneuverable set up,  due to I hunt a lot of flooded timber and hunting open areas in a layout blind.   Paired with a kicks high flyer modified choke,  it performs really well.   As far as loads,   I like Winchester xpert steel 3" #3.  

That in mind though,  I'm  decoying birds.  The biggest portion of my shots  are less 30 yrds.   However,  this  set up,   I can still "tree top"  woodies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Does that short barrel mess up the guns balance at all?

I sometimes think the 28" on mine is a bit much, but it swings so smooth that it's worth lugging it around. I'm not a super tall guy so I want to try 26" but I hate to spend the money on it to not like it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does that short barrel mess up the guns balance at all?

I sometimes think the 28" on mine is a bit much, but it swings so smooth that it's worth lugging it around. I'm not a super tall guy so I want to try 26" but I hate to spend the money on it to not like it.
View Quote

Not that I notice,   But really haven't paid that much attention to it.   I know it sounds weird,  but the shorter "sight radius, if you can call it that"  was a little different at first.   Took a little getting used to.   It's kinda hard to explain, but I tend to shoot a shotgun more instinctively rather than using the bead.    Kinda like shooting a recurve or longbow.   I'm seeing the tip of the arrow or barrel,  but not really relying on it as a sight.  

As far as you losing 2",  I wouldn't think you'd notice hardly any difference at all.  I personally like the shorter set up for maneuverability, and quick to get on target.   But,  mostly I'm decoying birds and my shots are less than 30 yrds,  plus I'm not doing a lot of swing or pass shooting.   It's worked well for me, and very happy with it.

Some good deals can be found on barrels.   I got 21" barrel off gunbroker  for $100 brand new.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I hunt over decoys. Use 3" #4 with a modified choke. Sometimes I make my 3rd shot a #2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top