Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 7:52:48 PM EDT
today was opening day for pheasants in New Hampshire.  Cold, rainy and wet.

Last October, I got a Brittany pup, named her Ginger.

I've never trained a bird dog before, so the past year has been a learning experience.

This is what we learned:

she first flushed another bird that was in some standing corn, I never saw it.  She didn't point on this one, but she flushed it, didn't mind the two shots I took, and then chased the bird about a hundred yards.  didn't bring it back to me, but she found it and stood over it.  the bird was dead -- she may have broken it's neck, but if she did it was before I caught up to her.

Heading out again in the morning!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!!!

I miss that time in the field...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It's fun how fast they start putting things together.

Of all the training you can do, nothing beats bird contacts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a funny looking rooster; do you guys grown them different in NH?

And not my dog, but I'll be hunting over him in KS next month...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Nicely done OP.

FredMan, there is no native pheasant population in New Hampshire.  The state stocks birds during the season.  Hunters pay an extra fee to hunt them, both Roosters and Hens.  2 daily limit, 10 season limit.  Pheasants are something I really miss from the midwest.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
we have had success on two more hunts since opening day, including some nice points.  Yes, here in NH they are stocked birds, roosters and hens, 2 bird limit per day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top