Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 11:44:27 AM EDT
I bought some property recently, and there are a few dove flying in.  Dead center  on the property is a small pond.  I planted milo around the border of the pond, but, since I purchased the property less than 90 days ago, the milo has not formed a head yet.  There is dove weed nearby and a roost in some trees about 100 yards beyond the pond.

I needed something else to help bring in the birds.  So, I built a 'powerline' for the birds to use near the pond.  I have a ground blind area nearby.

I had an 18' pole laying around, and some scrap wood that I used to build the support arms to make it look like a railroad/powerline pole.

I used a nearby tree as the second anchor point (only had one pole, too cheap to buy another).

I can raise/lower the 'powerline' with the orange rope on the end.  Wal-Mart has their plastic 3D decoys on sale, so I purchased a few.  They clamp on, but, since the rope twists, and the birds are not balanced, they turned upside down.

With some clothes hanger metal, some rubber fuel line, duct tap and a 12g shell for ballast, I made self leveling, wire sitting, decoys.

The rubber fuel line makes them less likely to slide down the line to the lowest point.  It also allows the metal clamp to hold the bird more firmly.

Lowered the line.  put my birds on, then tightened the rope.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't see shit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The doves are going to wonder what it is hanging under the roosting doves. They'll either fly away in fear, or land to take a closer look. Either way, they'll be puzzled.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
*vader* most impressive *vader*
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
And for some real kicks.  Fill a couple with tannerite.....

Much easier to see here than last night.

Look great man.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas_zps81b5626f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas_zps81b5626f.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas_zps81b5626f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas_zps81b5626f.jpg</a>

well played, Bravo!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The doves are going to wonder what it is hanging under the roosting doves. They'll either fly away in fear, or land to take a closer look. Either way, they'll be puzzled.
View Quote

I've had dove land next to decoys while I sat, in plain sight, with a cooler, no camo, no cover ... just a camp chair and street clothes 20 feet away.  Something about a decoy makes a dove go 'stupid' in its decision making abilities.

I've had them land in the branches over my head while I was underneath picking up dead birds.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
All that milo isn't baiting birds, nope, no way.

Don't forget to overseed during dove season.

PS I heartily approve.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good. I can't wait for Monday to get here. That is the Missouri opener.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PS I heartily approve.
View Quote

Baiting is the process of placing processed or manipulated seed/grain in a field and hunting over it.

Texas law is clear that a crop CAN be planted for the sole purpose of attracting birds.  However, you can not manipulate the crop.  ie. Grow, harvest, spread = NO.  Grow, drive thru and hit with stick = NO.

Grow it and let it fall naturally, = YES

Check with your local GW, or visit the TxPWD website for a full description of what is 'baiting' over a grain crop.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Baiting is the process of placing processed or manipulated seed/grain in a field and hunting over it.

Texas law is clear that a crop CAN be planted for the sole purpose of attracting birds.  However, you can not manipulate the crop.  ie. Grow, harvest, spread = NO.  Grow, drive thru and hit with stick = NO.

Check with your local GW, or visit the TxPWD website for a full description of what is 'baiting' over a grain crop.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS I heartily approve.

TRG

I'm funnin' ya...

Not only that, but I can neither confirm not deny seeding about 20 acres of milo in the summer prior to bird season. It was just ornamental anyway...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS I heartily approve.

TRG

I'm funnin' ya...

Not only that, but I can neither confirm not deny seeding about 20 acres of milo in the summer prior to bird season. It was just ornamental anyway...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm funnin' ya...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS I heartily approve.

TRG

I'm funnin' ya...

I fell for your bait.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm funnin' ya...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS I heartily approve.

TRG

I'm funnin' ya...

I feel manipulated.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
You know, if by some chance a few goats got loose in your milo patch, and you have to go in after them on horseback any seed that falls is just incidental, right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You know, if by some chance a few goats got loose in your milo patch, and you have to go in after them on horseback any seed that falls is just incidental, right?
View Quote

If I had 20 acres planted.... brilliant!

TRG
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]
It's all fun and games until the dude in the green dodge truck shows up...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's all fun and games until the dude in the green dodge truck shows up...
View Quote

"Green means 'GO!" is what we always said....

When we saw that truck all we could say was 'GO! GO! GO! and hit the brush!

TRG
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#21]
How'd you fare with the new getup? One mojo voodoo was all we had in sweetwater yesterday and it was enough to get three guns a limit in an hour or so during the early evening.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How'd you fare with the new getup? One mojo voodoo was all we had in sweetwater yesterday and it was enough to get three guns a limit in an hour or so during the early evening.
View Quote

Haven't had a chance to hunt it.  Maybe tomorrow.  Been busy with other issues.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Ouch, sorry to hear that. The birds are flying for sure. I almost broke my neck a few times on the drive back to DFW. Massive numbers in ft. Worth and just slightly north east. Good luck tomorrow and let us know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top