Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 4:04:40 PM EDT
I have been seeing mallards and wood ducks all over the damn place lately, looks like they are coming  home  for the summer, should be a good early season this year.

Instead of taking off time for deer hunting I am going to take the entire first week of early season and smack as many locals as I can get during the nice weather before they get skittish.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Same here, but there's not much open water yet. Only rivers, and channels between lakes where there's a current, have open water.... all the lakes still have several feet of ice. I saw hundreds of ducks and geese this morning, in a channel between two lakes about 1/2 mile from home.

I've been taking off work the first two weeks of duck season for the past 6 years or so. The deer population got so low due to severe winters and too many doe tags over the past decade, that I gave up bow hunting altogether 7-8 years ago, and gun season is only 9 days, doesn't start until after duck season ends. I now spend all that time I used to spend in a tree stand, in a duck blind (or hunting grouse). We have a 60 day duck season here, and my goal has been to hunt on at least 40 days. Not too hard when you hunt within a 20 minute drive of home, and don't need to go to work until noon (if I go at all... I'm self employed, and I "semi"-retired 2 yrs ago ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top