Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2014 6:39:46 PM EDT
What do you guys like for upland game clothing?  The boy and I will be frequenting a locale where tradition runs strong.  And I'm a "pay once, cry once" kind of guy so point me to the good stuff.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Filson.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Filson.
View Quote

+1 Filson is really good stuff. It's not cheap in price or quality. I love everything I have from Filson.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about your area, but my Dan's Froglegs are about worth their weight in gold around here.

You can slog through wet spots in a marshy spot or plow right through a stand of briars no problem.

I use them for duck hunting too, year 3 and they don't leak yet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't mind the LL Bean stuff.  Modestly priced and lifetime guarantee.  May not be the Ferrari of upland clothing, but it's solid nonetheless.  I'd say a company that's over 100 years old has some tradition...however it is run by yankees.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Filson.
View Quote

Barbour
I have a few nice Beretta shirts too. Not sure about their other clothing
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
LL Bean.

Price is pretty good, and the warranty is 100% replacement, for life, for any reason.

I hunt with their waxed field coat or upland vest and a couple of their Allagash shirts, and picked up a pair of Gore-Tex upland pants a few years ago. Their gear has never failed me, and as we hunt rain or shine I'm hoping to pick up a Gore-Tex field coat this fall.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Army surplus clothing is traditional.  You may want some orange stuff, because upland bird.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Filson, Barbour and orvis.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
depends if you want to look like most of the local bird hunters (jeans or canvas pants, long sleeve shirt and inexpensive upland vest) or if you want to look like a flatlander (kitted out head to toe in orvis, filson or other boutique hunting clothes) either is fine, but where I come from(The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, where tradition runs VERY deep)  if you walk into camp in a brand new outfit that costs more than most people's mortgage payment your'e going to take a pretty good ribbing.

the safe bet is ll bean, good quality and sensibly priced.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I bird hunt 30+ times a year, not many people do that. I usually wear carharrt jeans or pants, or wranglers, I do own some nice orvis pants too. If its cold ill throw on some filson bibs, I also have a few filson and Barbour jackets, say what you want about those companies, but nothing will endure taking that much of a beating but filson, orvis and Barbour. Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. I have a few filson vests I use, I had to buy a larger one to accommodate everything, gear whise and I beat the crap out of my old one. If someone ribbed me about what I was wearing, they have the issue, not me. Didn't know there was an upland hunting fashion club. If money is an issue where you cant get a filson jacket. that's one thing, but don't make it about something else having to do with tradition.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a lot of good advise in this thread. I will just throw out some points.

This is a good time of year to buy upland gear. Season is over or closing (preserves will be open till March) and there is Christmas overstock left over.

Sierra Trading Post, Sportsmans Guide, and other liquidators often have good upland stuff on deep discount.

I have some McAllisters waxed cotton gear, which is cheap compared to the other big names and now apparently out of business. I like it good enough.

Cabelas had an 8-in-1 vest/jacket/coat which got rave reviews. They have continued to raise the price of it every year, outpacing the rate of inflation. It was def worth it at $60, not sure it's worth it now.

Filson tin cloth is more durable than Barbour, but I (personally) think Barbour look better so I can also get double duty wearing it everyday.  It will sort of make you look like a city slicker though.

Filson double tin pants will damn near stand up on their own.

There is a robust debate about upland pants vs chaps. Chaps are cheaper, but a little weird to use and get used to. Advantages are that on a three day hunt, it's nice to put on a clean pair of jeans each day. Also, if you regularly wear nice jeans or khakis, once they get too worn out for your day job, you can do yard work in them and just throw on a pair of chaps for hunting.

Mountain Khakis have a double thick pant, the Alpine Utility I think, which does a pretty good job for light brush, cornstalks, and small briars.

There are a lot of fancy upland hunting coats/jackets. I can't shoot worth a damn in any of them. Don't overlook a hoodie (orange ones are easy to get), an old school heavy wool shirt, or a heavy wool sweater (European military surplus). I find them 10 times easier to shoot in. I haven't tried any of the new "technical" or soft shell upland jackets.

Seriously consider wearing suspenders or bibs.

You won't need as much warmth as you might think for the actual hunt, as chasing a dog around is about the most active hunting there is.

Get a good set of thin, wicking, thermal long undies.

Front load game pouch is easier to load than rear.

Don't forget about Colombia for upland gear. They make some premium level stuff, everyone forgets them, and then it gets marked down. I second the suggestions about LL Bean stuff. A lot of the Bean gear has slipped in quality, but the upland stuff is pretty good, often discounted, and they will 100% stand behind everything they sell. I wear their brush pants.

Strap vests are really useful and versatile. Then, if they aren't made right or fitted right, you put your gear and a few dead birds in them and they slide off your shoulders every ten steps. But I hunt out of one.

Boots are really a personal choice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a lot of good advise in this thread. I will just throw out some points.

This is a good time of year to buy upland gear. Season is over or closing (preserves will be open till March) and there is Christmas overstock left over.

Sierra Trading Post, Sportsmans Guide, and other liquidators often have good upland stuff on deep discount.

I have some McAllisters waxed cotton gear, which is cheap compared to the other big names and now apparently out of business. I like it good enough.

Cabelas had an 8-in-1 vest/jacket/coat which got rave reviews. They have continued to raise the price of it every year, outpacing the rate of inflation. It was def worth it at $60, not sure it's worth it now.

Filson tin cloth is more durable than Barbour, but I (personally) think Barbour look better so I can also get double duty wearing it everyday.  It will sort of make you look like a city slicker though.

Filson double tin pants will damn near stand up on their own.

There is a robust debate about upland pants vs chaps. Chaps are cheaper, but a little weird to use and get used to. Advantages are that on a three day hunt, it's nice to put on a clean pair of jeans each day. Also, if you regularly wear nice jeans or khakis, once they get too worn out for your day job, you can do yard work in them and just throw on a pair of chaps for hunting.

Mountain Khakis have a double thick pant, the Alpine Utility I think, which does a pretty good job for light brush, cornstalks, and small briars.

There are a lot of fancy upland hunting coats/jackets. I can't shoot worth a damn in any of them. Don't overlook a hoodie (orange ones are easy to get), an old school heavy wool shirt, or a heavy wool sweater (European military surplus). I find them 10 times easier to shoot in. I haven't tried any of the new "technical" or soft shell upland jackets.

Seriously consider wearing suspenders or bibs.

You won't need as much warmth as you might think for the actual hunt, as chasing a dog around is about the most active hunting there is.

Get a good set of thin, wicking, thermal long undies.

Front load game pouch is easier to load than rear.

Don't forget about Colombia for upland gear. They make some premium level stuff, everyone forgets them, and then it gets marked down. I second the suggestions about LL Bean stuff. A lot of the Bean gear has slipped in quality, but the upland stuff is pretty good, often discounted, and they will 100% stand behind everything they sell. I wear their brush pants.

Strap vests are really useful and versatile. Then, if they aren't made right or fitted right, you put your gear and a few dead birds in them and they slide off your shoulders every ten steps. But I hunt out of one.

Boots are really a personal choice.
View Quote

+1 on all of this, with extra points on the highlighted part.

Depending on the terrain, leather gloves may be a must, regardless of temperature.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Filson. Hands down. I recently sent back my tin cloth bird vest because the leather belt had broke. This was after 22 years of hard use, countless birds, three bird dogs and multiple states. When I sent it back the first time they sent a letter indicating that it needed to be cleaned properly before they could fix it. Fair enough. I cleaned it and sent it back to them. It came in the mail this week and was unrepaired. I called and spoke with customer service and not only did they apologize for the mistake but they are sending me a brand new vest as well as material to take my original vest to have it repaired locally. I have three coats, two vests, two pairs of chaps, a backpack and a pair of their upland boots. They make excellent gear and stand by their products.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top