Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2014 3:38:44 PM EDT
I am blessed this year to have some new land to hunt nearby where I live courtesy of a good neighbor's farm.  Yes I will be doing some scouting,  took my son with me last weekend for starters.

Wondering based on this arial photo where to start?  The edges of the photo are pretty much the property line. NORTH being up. This is about 50 acres.  Any insight?  Edge of cornfield on upper left seems like a good bet.  There is a cow path along the valley/bottom you can see and some timber.

Your advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My usual plan is find exactly where most birds enter field in morning.  Be just off to side in blind at edge of woods.  Decoys 20 yds in field.

No luck in the morning.  Chase them in the afternoon.  Aggressive calls, move one tree at a time toward them.  Calling as you sit at every tree for a couple minutes, and move.

Any piece of land, the same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally cant tell shit about turkey from a topo.  Just have to watch field in the morn.  A few sessions should tell you exact point of entry.  Exact, 50 yds. the wrong way and no go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
All good stuff, keep it coming.

I'll be a first time turkey hunter.  Ive tried for years to get out and even bought tags but crap always came up where I couldn't go or even get out to scout. (Flu, work, surgury).  But now with this land right next to me I will have time to get out and scout and hunt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
while the field may be an obvious choice for decoys and place to setup, I wouldn't overlook setting up decoys on the cow path or other clearing in the lower right whichever spot will put you closer to turkeys in the area.
really scouting and locating some birds before season and trying not to scare any while doing so is your best bet on deciding where to start, a locator call like an owl hooter can work good at first light  while the turkeys are still on the roost to give you some idea of there location.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
while the field may be an obvious choice for decoys and place to setup, I wouldn't overlook setting up decoys on the cow path or other clearing in the lower right whichever spot will put you closer to turkeys in the area.
really scouting and locating some birds before season and trying not to scare any while doing so is your best bet on deciding where to start, a locator call like an owl hooter can work good at first light  while the turkeys are still on the roost to give you some idea of there location.
View Quote

Good thinking.   I got a locator call.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to spend a few mornings on the property.

Get there b4 daybreak, and listen for the gobbles.

Find out how often they come to the field vs hanging back into the woods.

Then get where they are going after fly - down OR...

Clear a path directly to their roost trees, and be sitting there an hour before you can see anything.

When clearing the path, don't forget to clear anything that will touch your clothing, shoulders, and gun.
You should be able to see your dirt path easily without using a flashlight.

I have done this a quite a few times and it works well.

The path should be made for SILENT travel for at least a 100yds.
So that means if the path in the woods is only 40yds, then the field or dirt road needs to have silent travel for 60.

There is a lot of excitement sitting within 30yds of a bird when he starts gobbling in the morning.
Having him fly right down into gun range after his morning vocals is oh such sweet revenge to the bird who has bested you three days in a row.

Ask me how I know .  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything Flatulence said.  Get there early and listen.  If they're gobblers there you'll hear them just as it's getting light.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
How hard do the turkeys on this place get hunted?  This can make a big difference in how much they call and how they respond to calls.  Also un-hunted turkeys can be a pushover.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Like everyone is saying but honestly it could be a complete toss up.. Are they roosting in woods in the aerial? I'm more of a woods hunter than a field hunter
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]
50 acres is not a huge piece of property, there is no guarantee the turkeys are even roosting there.  Spend some time early morning and evening to find out if and where they are roosting.  Resist the urge to call to the birds before hunting season opens.  Birds can get call shy if people keep screwing with them.  Have fun and good luck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Hard to say from the picture although I also agree with the majority on getting out to scout and listen in the mornings/evenings. Also Pay attention to contour lines (ditches, dried up paths, low spots) as turkeys will follow these a lot of times while strutting and feeding. Using these you should be able to set up and have them come your direction. Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top