Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2014 2:13:22 PM EDT
I had some family and friends over at our farm this weekend for a dinner party and my daughter's boyfriend brought a turkey call.  It was round dish like thing with a small hand held tube,

Bottom line:  we had at least one gobbler answer back on Saturday PM and another (or perhaps the same one) answer back Sunday AM.  I've seen turkey on our farm before but never paid much attention to it other than revel at the wild life.

Now, I want to be able to call in some turkey's and maybe even hunt them this during the TN spring gobbler season.

So what's a good turkey call?  The boyfriend recommended a box call.  All I know is what I looked at on the Cabela's turkey call site.  I would have no clue how to operate a diaphram call, although I'll probably get one just to try and practice.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had some family and friends over at our farm this weekend for a dinner party and my daughter's boyfriend brought a turkey call.  It was round dish like thing with a small hand held tube,

Bottom line:  we had at least one gobbler answer back on Saturday PM and another (or perhaps the same one) answer back Sunday AM.  I've seen turkey on our farm before but never paid much attention to it other than revel at the wild life.

Now, I want to be able to call in some turkey's and maybe even hunt them this during the TN spring gobbler season.

So what's a good turkey call?  The boyfriend recommended a box call.  All I know is what I looked at on the Cabela's turkey call site.  I would have no clue how to operate a diaphram call, although I'll probably get one just to try and practice.

Thanks!
View Quote

Diaphragm turkey calls are damned near a performance art. I've never been able to use them, though some others take to them quickly.  Your daughter's boyfriend was using a pot call.  The box call is absolutely the easiest to use, but can be hit or miss on the quality of sound from the ones available at stores. For a starter it's hard to beat. Also, it's great for replicating the cackle and cutting.  Can't really recommend any production call in general, but I like the Lynch's 101, and the Knight & Hale Sweet Lil' Liar. Anyone serious in turkey hunting probably has a drawer filled with twenty different box calls in it.

My number one call for hunting the Osceola is the Lynch's Jet Slate. As far as slate calls go I find it far preferable to pot calls, but it doesn't have the volume.  Most of my birds I've killed have been called in with one of those.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha!  Just came back from buying 3 dozen free ranged chicken eggs and on the way back, out popped a turkey out of one of my neighbors property.  It ran down our gravel road a couple hundred yards looking for a way to get out.  I thought I was going to be able to herd right back to my place for my dog to catch and eat.  It found a way out opposite my neighbor's driveway.

Oh well, cheap and fascinating entertainment on this rainy Sunday!

I'm taking a look at that Lynch Jet call, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I use wood haven calls predominantly. A slate call is very versatile and easy to use. Once you get hooked on hunting you'll want to try out a diaphragm call.

http://www.woodhavencustomcalls.com
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a  box call and diaphragms out in the field. The mouth calls are nice because it reduces body movement.  I learned how to use em quick, and can even do a decent call without the diaphragm, just using my mouth . I've gotten a gobbler all rieled up buy clucking with my mouth and gobbling back at him but it was summer time, not hunting season .    Never successfully called on a bird though during hunting season with my calls
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Lonnie Sneed makes the best turkey calls, IMO. His Hot Hen slate is amazing. Look him up and give him a call. Best $30 you'll spend guaranteed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty happy with my Zink slate; mouth calls are great but I have trouble using them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I am planning on buying the new flextone yelper and cutter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
A simple box call can make some great sounds, but they require two hands and when the action gets up close you either need a second guy to shoot, or you need to drop it and grab your gun.

I know it is hard, but practice with a diaphragm call is the best way for getting tough birds solo.

You can call with a shouldered gun and while moving, plus with a face mask on you make no visible motion. Motion is a killer with turkeys.

Grab one and start watching youtube videos then practice until your wife kicks you out of the house, then keep practicing on the porch.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a  box call and diaphragms out in the field. The mouth calls are nice because it reduces body movement.  I learned how to use em quick, and can even do a decent call without the diaphragm, just using my mouth . I've gotten a gobbler all rieled up buy clucking with my mouth and gobbling back at him but it was summer time, not hunting season .    Never successfully called on a bird though during hunting season with my calls
View Quote

Fall or spring?

In the spring around here you often have to stalk to be successful, somewhat dangerous on public land though.

In the fall they are grouped up so you can break them apart and call them back in easy enough.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fall or spring?

In the spring around here you often have to stalk to be successful, somewhat dangerous on public land though.

In the fall they are grouped up so you can break them apart and call them back in easy enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fall or spring?

Spring right now.  38 acres of heaven in SW Lincoln county, TN.  

I'm watching the youtube vids on box calls and see one thing I'm doing wrong right off the bat:  lifting the handle and making the "click-click" noise.

Back to more practice.

Next up: buying at least one diaphragm call and start practicing with that.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Slate call is my go-to for a one call which does everything easily .

I do have a slate call holding product which attaches to my leg made by HS Strut.

While I can run a diaphragm well enough to make convincing SOFT clucks and purrs while practicing, I have hard time while a bird is close.  My heart and breath is runnin' to hard to make the soft sounds needed for a close bird.

I never have a problem with keeping my body and gun still before the shot though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I do have a slate call holding product which attaches to my leg made by HS Strut.
View Quote

Didn't know they made such a thing, will definitely have to look in to that; TNX!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#13]
dbd870 -
I think it is called 'The Panhandler'....

Just googled it - that IS the name of it, and amazon an some others showed stock just now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Cane Creek slate and a diaphragm call, but if you are looking for volume over a large area to locate birds its hard to beat an aluminum pot call, I'm using an old MAD call, look around for one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top