Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2014 7:38:28 AM EDT
Im looking at getting a surface drive mud boat with a gator tail or a pro drive center console anyone have any exsperience with either one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I run an 18' Excel with a .125 hull and a Pro Drive tiller. The boat is tough and will break ice up to about 4 inches thick. It won't win any races but we harvest lots of ducks and geese out of it. I went with 24" sides to help with rough water and to increase safety. I can comfortably hunt 4 guys and dog. Have a mud buddy fast grass blind on it as well. good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Call KP at Pro drive down in LA he knows his stuff! Had some questions early on regarding my motor. He gave suggestions that were spot on. Have had three other guys buy ProDrives after calling and talking to him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the pro drive ive talked to KP once the only thing I like better about the gator tail is instant reverse for docking and picking up decoys and such thanks for the replies so far
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Phowler Extreme 1760 with a 36 PD, manual reverse, this was my 5th season with this set up and I love it.  In all honesty I only used the reverse 1 time this fall, but in years past it has saved our ass big time, and I could have easily got away with the GT reverse set up (and it probably would have been better this season for me)  Hunting friends have the auto reverse on a PD and use it all the time, but a lot of the time they pick up decoys out of the boat while I have my partner walk the boat around  

The FPR is amazing if/when you need it, but the GT reverse is more practical on a day to day basis....both are great motors and comes down to your hunting locations.

Center consoles are a space killer on a duck boat if you are hunting out of it with a blind, but this is the way we hunt almost 99% of the time and works very well for us, I love an open floor plan in a duck boat.

Any questions let me know, and I can post some pictures of my boat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I wont be hunting out of the boat it will be used outside of hunting season for bowfishing and fishing so I run some open water to that why I want the console I think the only two problems im having is wishing the gator tail had efi and choosing the boat yeah please post pics if you have them
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a Phowler extreme 1860 with twin27hp ProDrives. The reverse on Prodrive is better as it spins around and pushes the water/mud under the boat to get rid of the suction and create "lift".ProDrive is also the only manufacturer that uses a direct drive system so you dont have to worry about broken belts or chains. My other boat is a 1650 with a 27hp GoDevil Long tail. They both serve their purpose. Any specific questions just ask.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you use the reverse when your coming into a dock or does it take to long for it to turn around
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
on a dual rig I can leave one in reverse and the other forwards. But yes, if you have just one prodrive it does take a while for it to turn. The Gator tail your referring to uses a regular marine lower unit so it allows for instant reverse but its not as proficient in mud as the pro drive. theres a video online with the new gator tail showing reverse in mud, its not too impressive. Also a center console takes away some valuable space from the boat that can be used for gear, where as a tiller leaves some room.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I think ive watched every video im never gonna be in a flat out mud flat just like 6 inches of water and vegetation
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wont be hunting out of the boat it will be used outside of hunting season for bowfishing and fishing so I run some open water to that why I want the console I think the only two problems im having is wishing the gator tail had efi and choosing the boat yeah please post pics if you have them
View Quote

Some pictures of my boat as requested, I won't get into the blind build as you said you will not be hunting out of the boat.

First day on the water

I sold the gun box, just gets in the way

Open floor plan while building the blind

The aftermath

Hides pretty well      Plus you stay nice and warm with the heaters on

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking rig thanks for the pictures
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#13]
In 2005-2007 I owned a Gator Tail 35hp on a Gator Tail 1844 boat, tiller handle. I ended up selling it because this rig had more cons then pro's for my application. Went back to an outboard and a Go Devil longtail.

I bought a 36 Pro Dive before the start of this season it's turning a 3 blade prop instead of the 2 blade and it's hanging on a Alumacraft for now, I plan to buy a Pro Drive hull this summer, probably 1848.

I have rode in a center console Pro Drive boat and it's a great set up, rides better than you expect for a flat bottom boat. In fact my riding in this particular boat has convinced me to buy a PD boat. I have been told the new automatic reverse is much faster than the previous versions and may be more suitable for docking and trailering if you take it easy coming in.

We fished the bayous and the salt flats all summer using the Pro Drive and not having instant reverse was not an issue for me. Having FPR saved our bacon this year in the drought conditions we have experienced.

A thought for the gentleman from Florida thinking about the Mudbuddy, if you are in salt or brackish water the Mudbuddy has several steel components in it's construction and I have seen severe corrosion problems in their design, if you are really wanting the Mudbudy style buy a Gatortail it has all alloy construction.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Phowler Extreme 1760 with a 36 PD, manual reverse, this was my 5th season with this set up and I love it.  In all honesty I only used the reverse 1 time this fall, but in years past it has saved our ass big time, and I could have easily got away with the GT reverse set up (and it probably would have been better this season for me)  Hunting friends have the auto reverse on a PD and use it all the time, but a lot of the time they pick up decoys out of the boat while I have my partner walk the boat around  

The FPR is amazing if/when you need it, but the GT reverse is more practical on a day to day basis....both are great motors and comes down to your hunting locations.

Center consoles are a space killer on a duck boat if you are hunting out of it with a blind, but this is the way we hunt almost 99% of the time and works very well for us, I love an open floor plan in a duck boat.

Any questions let me know, and I can post some pictures of my boat.
View Quote

I would love to check out a Phowler boat. There are no dealers anywhere close to me. They appear to have the best blind set up's out there. We too hunt out of the boat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
No dealers near me either, I just did a lot of reading and winged it.......worked out just fine.  Friends of ours got an 1860 with the blind on it and it is a tank, hides great and lots of room, a few small tweaks could have been done differently but nothing big.

It's funny the 1860 rides the chop much smoother than my 1760, I didn't think 1' would make that much difference, but it does.  I would have gone with the 18' except it wouldn't fit in my garage, but with not having the extended front deck we have about equal open floor area for hunting.

Paul is a great guy to work with and can put any combo together you want.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking about talking with them before I bought a PD boat and after seeing your set up I definitely will.  I plan on making a move in a few months.

Is that Paul's blind or one you built?

So did you go to Iowa and pick up your rig?

My female pup Belle

My male Blu

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was thinking about talking with them before I bought a PD boat and after seeing your set up I definitely will.  I plan on making a move in a few months.

Is that Paul's blind or one you built?

So did you go to Iowa and pick up your rig?

My female pup Belle

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/66Stang/IMG_0081_zps861f36c3.jpg

My male Blu

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/66Stang/IMG_0078_zpsa3529c19.jpg
View Quote

My home built blind, probably not as strong as a factory one, but I have not had any issues in 6 seasons and was a lot cheaper.

I had them deliver it, after factoring in my time and everything else, it saved me money.......they were also bringing out another boat to CT, so that cut down on cost.

Nice looking pups,     here is mine  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_11/653378_Evolution_of_a_duck_dog__picture_heavy_.html

and more boat pictures  

ETA:  if you look at the link I put in above, the picture on page 2 (all the geese stacked on the blind side and the last 2 pictures) is my friends 1860 with the factory blind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used a cloth pop up blind and a scissor grass blind and trailering just shreds them, so this year we just cut cane and set it around the boat.

I'm envious, I've never bagged a Canadian goose. I've been on a few guided goose hunts and they never can pull the birds into the decoys. I get some fly overs where I hunt. This year's tally is two snows and one specklebelly, my best goose year is around 20. Also it's rare to get a greenhead in our area, but 45 mins to the west they have pretty good numbers.

I am not a very good duck hunter, but I keep at it and I  enjoy it and  every 2-3 years we find where they are wanting to be and get some pretty good numbers. Example, last  season  my 2 son's and me  killed a half dozen, this year with the drought and cold weather and some luck around 350 our best year, my next best year was around 220. I don't use a call, but continue to practice, every now and then I can blow that thing properly.

This year we decided to come up with a shooting handicap like the game of golf, but we could not agree on par, 6 bird limit 6 shots or 9 shots, regardless, it's rare I  shoot anywhere close to par.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I've made up my mind the only thing stopping me is that gator tail does not have fuel injection but has the type of reverse for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think I've made up my mind the only thing stopping me is that gator tail does not have fuel injection but has the type of reverse for me.
View Quote
The 25s are EFI and the PD EFI can and has been retrofitted to the 35s.

A buddy of mine has a 35 GTR and another has a 36 PD. I preferred the GTR due to:

Less tiller torque

Power tilt/trim

Belt drive is far less complicated(i.e. cheaper to repair)

Just flip a switch and pull a handle for reverse

Granted PD does have power tilt and trim and powered reverse but you pay for it. The PD just flat wore me out wrestling with that thing. The torque was impressive but exhausting for me. In the end I ordered Gator Tail, a 1654 Extreme with the 35GTR along with an assortment of extras including the new 3 blade prop. I'm on week 9 of 12-15 so hopefully it won't be much longer. I will say this much, the Extreme hull is worth the cost. The step chine helps with turning, they do still slide but it is far less.

I was very torn on the 25 vs. 35. I wanted a refuge legal boat, but the speeds on that 25 are bad ass until you load it down. I finally was able to get some real speeds vs. someones 10 year old with 1 gal of gas in perfect conditions with no wind speeds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I think im gonna get a gator trax 18x62 with the hybrid v and a 35 gtr center console I run alot of open water the only thing is I wish it was efi as it gets cold in va during duck season
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think im gonna get a gator trax 18x62 with the hybrid v and a 35 gtr center console I run alot of open water the only thing is I wish it was efi as it gets cold in va during duck season
View Quote
Probably a good idea. Without a doubt a true mud hull beats you death crossing open water. We only have one place that has an open water run for any stretch and it's rough, pissing blood rough.

Another option is having someone weld the hull for you. I don't know about up there, but down here it isn't hard to find a boat builder who is pretty experienced building mud hulls and even hybrid hulls.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah know one does that up here I was kinda hoping a builder was on here and would chime in rather give a person the money than a big company and it would prob. Be cheaper
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yeah know one does that up here I was kinda hoping a builder was on here and would chime in rather give a person the money than a big company and it would prob. Be cheaper
View Quote
www.mudmotortalk.com

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there a certain spot on there I should post
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Is there a certain spot on there I should post
View Quote
Probably under the boats and blinds section if you are wanting hull advice.

Link Posted: 5/8/2014 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks I look into wc custom I think the only prob for me wouldmbe is having to travel so far
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok I pulled the trigger on a new boat its a Prodigy 19x54 cc thanks everyone for there input
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ok I pulled the trigger on a new boat its a Prodigy 19x54 cc thanks everyone for there input
View Quote
Damn, you bought a Rolls Royce of duck boats! Prodigy makes some nice stuff.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

What did you hang off the back, PD or GTR.
Def check out mudmotortalk, I picked up a lot of stuff there when I first got my boat. Like fuel shutoff valves, fuel water separators, etc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry I didnt update been super crazy with work got the boat builder recommended tiller over console for my use so thats what I got hung a 35 gtr off it with a mikuni carb amd a bps q exhaust
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top