Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2014 4:24:14 PM EDT
This is probably one of those things that isn't worth overthinking, but what shot do you prefer for grouse? Do you switch between the early season and late season?

I generally use #6 or #7.5 in my 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
6 or 7.5.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is probably one of those things that isn't worth overthinking, but what shot do you prefer for grouse? Do you switch between the early season and late season?

View Quote

Same here. I use 6s early in season when trees still have leaves to shoot through... after leaves fall, I switch to 7.5s. Mostly use a 20, but occasionally carry a 12.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same here. I use 6s early in season when trees still have leaves to shoot through... after leaves fall, I switch to 7.5s. Mostly use a 20, but occasionally carry a 12.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I was thinking the opposite; 7.5s in the early season when leaves are still on trees, shots are closer and faster, and 6s in the late season when you can get farther shots.

A guy I know seems to really like Fiocchi Golden Pheasant, the nickel-plated stuff. I'm thinking about picking up some of that in 6 and 7.5 for next season.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Interesting. I was thinking the opposite; 7.5s in the early season when leaves are still on trees, shots are closer and faster, and 6s in the late season when you can get farther shots.

A guy I know seems to really like Fiocchi Golden Pheasant, the nickel-plated stuff. I'm thinking about picking up some of that in 6 and 7.5 for next season.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early on, I use the 6s, with imp cyl choke. Where I hunt, the grouse are found in a mixture of balsams, white pines, and aspens.... the more young aspens, the more grouse there are. I'm normally shooting at birds already on the other side of an aspen. The 6s penetrate through the leaves better. Because of all the balsams mixed in, ranges don't really increase too much after leaves fall, but the visibilty up close increases when the aspens are bare. 7.5s put more pellets in the pattern, and there's no leaves to disrupt the patterns later in the season.

I hunt with a dog (Lab)... if I knock a bird out of the air, 99% of the time she'll find it, and it's mine.

As for ammo, I use Federal 2 3/4" game loads from Walmart for a 20ga. For 12ga, as I reload 12, I use my own 1 1/8oz loads, in  AA lo-brass hulls.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Been many years since I've done that, always used 6's out of an IC. (12GA)
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saw this.  Ruffed grouse aren't hard to kill; and when they are down, they don't run like a pheasant, so any halfway decent dog can bring a wingtipped ruff to bag.  Thus, they can be hunted successfully with pretty much anything.

FWIW, I do nearly all my ruffed grouse hunting with a 20 gauge.  7/8 oz. of #7.5 or #6 reloads at 1,200 fps will work fine, early or late season.  Of course, a 12 gauge or a 16 gauge with similar loads will work well, too.  Open chokes are best as the ranges are usually short and you don't want to shred the best tasting bird in the uplands.  I don't use the 28 gauge or the .410 on wild birds, but I know some folks who do.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't go wrong with 7.5's or 6's.

Killed many with 8's that I had left over in the vest from earlier in the season while dove hunting.  Another bird that if you are not knocking them down has very little to do with the shot choice and almost everything to do with the guy behind the gun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#9]
i typically use 7.5 or 8
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
,22LR to the head.

also Ill add some obligatory grouse pics my favorite birds to eat.

Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just saw this.  Ruffed grouse aren't hard to kill; and when they are down, they don't run like a pheasant, so any halfway decent dog can bring a wingtipped ruff to bag.  Thus, they can be hunted successfully with pretty much anything.

FWIW, I do nearly all my ruffed grouse hunting with a 20 gauge.  7/8 oz. of #7.5 or #6 reloads at 1,200 fps will work fine, early or late season.  Of course, a 12 gauge or a 16 gauge with similar loads will work well, too.  Open chokes are best as the ranges are usually short and you don't want to shred the best tasting bird in the uplands.  I don't use the 28 gauge or the .410 on wild birds, but I know some folks who do.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee263/Birddogman_photos/1-2013%20Hunting/10-24-13-ChaseRetrievingRuffedGrouse-1_zps138e148b.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee263/Birddogman_photos/1-2013%20Hunting/10-24-13-RuffedGrouse-2_zpsfc26b576.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee263/Birddogman_photos/1-2013%20Hunting/10-24-13-RuffedGrouse-1_zpsa21a9dc2.jpg
View Quote

Egad, that is a fine shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Only grouse I got last year were opportunity shots with a .22lr buckmark while out doing other things at the cabin on opening day.  If I'm actually hunting them (which I haven't done in several years since focusing on pheasant with the new dog) it's my little youth model Winchester 120 20ga with cheap 7.5's
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I use #6 in 20 gauge and 22LR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
7.5 shot in improved cylinder choke, in a 28 gauge OU.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruffies, huh?

Dunno for truly wild grouse.

For the Sooties around here, it's an accurate pistol!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top