Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2014 4:01:54 PM EDT
My dad didn't hunt, so I don't know where to start a kid at.  I was thinking a break action 20ga.  Keep it cheap for now, then get him something better as he grows?  Are there good buys out there for break actions?  Or should I go with a 20ga pump?  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Incidentally, we'll be doing mostly upland I think, with the possibility for the occasional duck or goose outing with a buddy of mine.

Thanks folks.

jim
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go ahead and get the 20 pump. It will keep you from buying one, then a year later buying another..or get both of course.

Upland hunting you might just as well go 12 gauge. He'll get used to the kick. It will be better for that use than 20.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like he will quickly want a 12, but I suggest a mossberg youth 20g pump anyways

Then in about 3 years, get him a 12g 500
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Mossberg Super Bantam 500, 20 ga. It's perfect. 22" vent rib, double bead barrel. Thumb actuated tang safety (in case he's a lefty shooter). Comes with stock spacer &  2 recoil pads... and when he outgrows those, you can put an adult sized Hogue overmolded on it. Lightweight, at only 5.25lbs. I bought one of these guns for myself, to use as a grouse gun (only way to get the 22" barrel)... and as I'm 6'2 - 235lbs, I obviously needed a longer stock, so I put the Hogue on it. Street price is about $250-275 (paid $259 for mine).

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-super-bantam-all-purpose/54210

When he finally outgrows the 20ga and wants a 12, then you can get him a 500 in a 12ga... he'll already have the experience with operating the same exact action. And neither one will break your piggy bank.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
What is your price point?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Remington 870 Pump Youth Model.  Both my kids used it.  Saving it now for the Grandkids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
bought my son a break action to start, kicked like hell and was a pos, then got him a 870 youth, still have it but it hasnt been the greatest  gun, then moved him to a 1187 youth wich is a total piece of shit, absolutely unreliable even after putting in a surecycle kits, aluminum mag follower and extra power mag spring, i will never buy another remington   ever. hes now 12 and i moved him into a Browning Maxus, problem solved, now i see Benelli is making a few youth guns, i would go that way, money saved in the long run if your going to hunt  alot of birds. It sucks always fixing malfuntions in your kids gun in the field and it takes the fun out of it for everyone. Between upland and waterfowl my son and i hunt birds 70+ days a year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
20ga pump, or if you can swing it a 20ga autoloader.  My Dad bought me a 20ga pump when I turned 12 and I still hunt with it some today, primarily early season pheasants and grouse.  It is a Winchester Model 120 that I stuck an adult stock and longer barrel on.  Frequently I take out new hunters, they use this shotgun put back in it's youth config.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input folks.  I like the idea of the 20ga mossy pump, and eventually upgrading stocks.  Hadn't thought of that before.  I'll put him behind a few at my LGS and see what he likes.  

jim
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mossberg Super Bantam 500, 20 ga. It's perfect. 22" vent rib, double bead barrel. Thumb actuated tang safety (in case he's a lefty shooter). Comes with stock spacer &  2 recoil pads... and when he outgrows those, you can put an adult sized Hogue overmolded on it. Lightweight, at only 5.25lbs. I bought one of these guns for myself, to use as a grouse gun (only way to get the 22" barrel)... and as I'm 6'2 - 235lbs, I obviously needed a longer stock, so I put the Hogue on it. Street price is about $250-275 (paid $259 for mine).

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-super-bantam-all-purpose/54210

When he finally outgrows the 20ga and wants a 12, then you can get him a 500 in a 12ga... he'll already have the experience with operating the same exact action. And neither one will break your piggy bank.
View Quote

The parents pf a boy I've been mentoring wanted to know what they should get for him; I gave the same advice. He's had it since last year and it has worked out perfectly for him. Ar some they all will want a 12, but even after that it's still will make him a handy little woods gun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my 10 year old a Mossberg bantam 20 gauge for Christmas. I was worried the kick would be too much for him but he loves it. I had thought about getting him a 410 but am glad I went with the 20 instead

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I started hunting when I was 10 with a break-action 20 gauge, then after a few years moved to a 12 gauge pump. Bought my first 12 gauge auto at age 18 and used them exclusively until this past year. I picked up a 20 gauge auto and I've sold off two 12 gauges.

For upland birds, I'm really liking the lightweight 20 gauge a lot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go ahead and get the 20 pump. It will keep you from buying one, then a year later buying another..or get both of course.  

Upland hunting you might just as well go 12 gauge. He'll get used to the kick. It will be better for that use than 20.
View Quote

In my opinion I dont see the need for a 12ga for upland hunting. In my experience, I've destroyed more birds using my 12ga than actually getting to harvest them. A 20ga I think would be perfect, a nice lightweight gun to hike around with. For the occasional goose or duck hunt, dont jump to the 12ga till he's ready and is comfortable shooting clays with it. A nice kick from a 12ga to the eye on a young hunter will discourage them for awhile...
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm looking at the Mossberg SA-20 for my daughter. Looks like they have several models out and I handled the Bantam version at the store and it seemed pretty light/short compared to what I'm used to. (Browning BPS)
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My daughter started at 8 with a Beretta 302 semi, and still shoots it at 13.  It is a great gun, super light, no recoil even with 3" steel loads, super easy to clean and very reliable.  I would go with a semi automatic over a pump as there is less recoil, and inexperienced shooters may fumble with a pump, and you can still load 1 round at a time if needed.

Couple of pictures of what a little girl can do with her 20  

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish there were more reasonable options in 28ga.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top